Which Python API for PostgreSQL?

Redefined Horizons

I have been working with PostgreSQL for a while, and have just made
the move to Python a couple of months ago. I noticed that there are at
least 2 Python API's to PostgreSQL. I have looked at PygreSQL and
PostgrePy.

What are the advanatages and disadvantages of each? Which one do you
use? What do you like about it?

I appreciate any information that will help me to choose the best API.
I plan on designing some data-entry applications in PyGTK that work
with Python. My server will be running on a Linux box, but most of the
clients will be connecting on MS Windows boxes.

Thanks,

Scott Huey

Paul Boddie

Any specific reasons to go for psycopg instead of PyGreSQL?

I can't really comment about PyGreSQL: due to the unavailability of
PyGreSQL packages for my system (and a long pause in its development
which suggested that it may not be the most appropriate choice) I
started using pyPgSQL a long time ago instead. However, recent
experiences suggest that psycopg (version 2) is faster than pyPgSQL and
also supports savepoints (whereas pyPgSQL seems not to). Moreover, it
has been asserted that pyPgSQL is in maintenance-only mode, whereas
psycopg is in active development. I suppose PyGreSQL is seeing more
action these days, too.

It's quite possible that all three packages will do what you want, but
perhaps only experience with them will give you the answer you're
looking for.

Paul