which Python ? asks beginner

Dave WB3DWE

Have given up Java. Want to switch to Python. But _which_ ?
There is ver :
2.5 out now
2.6 in beta , final expected Apr 2008
3.0 ? in alpha or beta
3.0 final expected Sep 2008 ?
Will the real python please stand up.
Thanks, Dave WB3DWE (e-mail address removed)

Paul McGuire

Have given up Java. Want to switch to Python. But _which_ ?
There is ver :
2.5 out now
2.6 in beta , final expected Apr 2008
3.0 ? in alpha or beta
3.0 final expected Sep 2008 ?

This is not for us to decide, but rather for you. For example:
- I work for a company and I want to include Python scripting as part
of our development environment. No one here has used Python before.
(Pick 2.5, you will not have to "unlearn" much for 2.6, and you'll
have the latest language features.)
- I want to deploy Python applications on Hosting Service X. (Ask
Hosting Service X which version they support - don't be surprised if
the answer is v2.2, but if it is, that's the version you'll work
with.)
- I just like hacking with languages (Pick 2.6 beta or 3.0 alpha, or
pick them both and see what you like about each.)
Will the real python please stand up?
Don't be a wise ass. Even version 2.2 is a "real" Python. Some folks
are even maintaining compatibility with 1.5.2. The version to use
depends on your own situation, give it some thought - we are not mind-
readers.

-- Paul

Simon Brunning

Have given up Java. Want to switch to Python.
Welcome!

But _which_ ?
There is ver :
2.5 out now
2.6 in beta , final expected Apr 2008

You should go for 2.5.1 unless you have a reason to stick to an older
version. (Such reasons might include your hosting company's Python
version, your employer's preferred version, and so on.)

2.6 isn't even in beta yet AFAIK. When it is, you should be able to
upgrade to it with nothing more than a few warning messages at worst.
At least, that's always been my experience.
3.0 ? in alpha or beta
3.0 final expected Sep 2008 ?

Py3k is still in fairly early alpha, and is strictly for Python
developers at the moment. Even when it goes final, I wouldn't want to
use it in production for a while. So, unless you just want something
to play with, steer clear.

It'll be an exception to the just-works upgrade that we've been used
to in the past, but plans are afoot to make upgrading possible.

--
Cheers,
Simon B.

Donn Ingle

plans are afoot
You know, I've always wanted ask; if plans are afoot, what are hands?

:D

Sorry, it's late.

/d

hdante

Have given up Java. Want to switch to Python. But _which_ ?
There is ver :
2.5 out now
2.6 in beta , final expected Apr 2008
3.0 ? in alpha or beta
3.0 final expected Sep 2008 ?
Will the real python please stand up.
Thanks, Dave WB3DWE (e-mail address removed)

Hi.

The right version is 2.5.

Bye, :)

John Salerno

Dave said:
Have given up Java. Want to switch to Python. But _which_ ?
There is ver :
2.5 out now
2.6 in beta , final expected Apr 2008
3.0 ? in alpha or beta
3.0 final expected Sep 2008 ?
Will the real python please stand up.
Thanks, Dave WB3DWE (e-mail address removed)

So in other words are you asking us should you use Python now (2.5) or
wait months before you start using it (2.6+)? That doesn't make much sense.

How hard is it to just start using the latest version? It's not like you
will have to learn a new language when 2.6 is released, or even 3.0.

If you had asked whether you should use 2.5 or *older* versions, that
would have made more sense. Your question as it is confuses me.

Hendrik van Rooyen

You know, I've always wanted ask; if plans are afoot, what are hands?

:D

Sorry, it's late.

The answer, seeing as it's late, is that whisky is at hand.

- Hendrik

Donn Ingle

You know, I've always wanted ask; if plans are afoot, what are hands?
The answer, seeing as it's late, is that whisky is at hand.
Ha. Brilliant answer! It also explains decorators :D

/d