    Thanks,

    WDA

    end
    W. D. Allen, Jul 23, 2006

  2. W. D. Allen

    Guest

    W. D. Allen wrote:
    > I want to write a retirement financial estimating program. Python was
    > suggested as the easiest language to use on Linux. I have some experience
    > programming in Basic but not in Python.
    >
    > I have two questions:
    > 1. What do I need to be able to make user GUIs for the program, and

    Try in: www.wxpython.org
    or in
    http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=IronPython&title=More Information

    > 2. Which book would be easiest to use to learn Python programming?

    Try in: http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html
    I nice Book I has is in:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...2000/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6666182-3979942?ie=UTF8
    , Jul 23, 2006

  3. W. D. Allen

    Guest

    W. D. Allen wrote:
    > I want to write a retirement financial estimating program. Python was
    > suggested as the easiest language to use on Linux. I have some experience
    > programming in Basic but not in Python.
    >
    > I have two questions:
    > 1. What do I need to be able to make user GUIs for the program, and

    Try in: www.wxpython.org
    or in
    http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=IronPython&title=More Information

    > 2. Which book would be easiest to use to learn Python programming?

    Try in: http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html
    I nice Book I has is in:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...2000/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6666182-3979942?ie=UTF8
    , Jul 23, 2006
  4. W. D. Allen

    Guest

    W. D. Allen wrote:
    > I want to write a retirement financial estimating program. Python was
    > suggested as the easiest language to use on Linux. I have some experience
    > programming in Basic but not in Python.
    >
    > I have two questions:
    > 1. What do I need to be able to make user GUIs for the program, and
    > 2. Which book would be easiest to use to learn Python programming?

    I am a fairly experienced programmer and I have been reading Dive Into
    Python. If you have prior experience, you may find it very
    satisfactory. (But see a recent thread I started which points out a few
    small mistakes...nothing too bad over all.) If you have less
    programming experience, you may wish to look at Byte of Python. The
    great thing about Python is that there is a ton of online material to
    peruse...
    , Jul 23, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >W. D. Allen wrote:
    >> I want to write a retirement financial estimating program. Python was
    >> suggested as the easiest language to use on Linux. I have some experience
    >> programming in Basic but not in Python.
    >>
    >> I have two questions:
    >> 1. What do I need to be able to make user GUIs for the program, and
    >> 2. Which book would be easiest to use to learn Python programming?

    >I am a fairly experienced programmer and I have been reading Dive Into
    >Python. If you have prior experience, you may find it very
    >satisfactory. (But see a recent thread I started which points out a few
    >small mistakes...nothing too bad over all.) If you have less
    >programming experience, you may wish to look at Byte of Python. The
    >great thing about Python is that there is a ton of online material to
    >peruse...

    As fond as I am of Python (enough so to have been recognized for my
    advocacy by the community), and as often as I've lauded Python for
    its "easy entry", I feel compelled to observe that it *is* possible
    to program in Basic under Linux; perhaps such an approach would
    particularly suit you. Have you considered, for example, <URL:
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/BASIC/ >?
    Cameron Laird, Jul 23, 2006
  6. W. D. Allen

    danielx Guest

    W. D. Allen wrote:
    > I want to write a retirement financial estimating program. Python was
    > suggested as the easiest language to use on Linux. I have some experience
    > programming in Basic but not in Python.
    >
    > I have two questions:
    > 1. What do I need to be able to make user GUIs for the program, and
    > 2. Which book would be easiest to use to learn Python programming?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > WDA
    >

    > end

    I'm sure you will hear this many times, but that's a great choice ;). I
    really think you'll like Learning Python from O'Reilly Press. The
    authors claim you can read the book even with no prior programming
    experience, which seems plausible having read it. Of course, you
    already have some programming experience, so it should go much more
    smoothly with you. Good luck finding the right book!
    danielx, Jul 23, 2006
  7. W. D. Allen

    Simon Forman Guest

    W. D. Allen wrote:
    > I want to write a retirement financial estimating program. Python was
    > suggested as the easiest language to use on Linux. I have some experience
    > programming in Basic but not in Python.
    >
    > I have two questions:
    > 1. What do I need to be able to make user GUIs for the program, and
    > 2. Which book would be easiest to use to learn Python programming?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > WDA

    Tkinter is an easy to use GUI that comes with python. There's a good
    online manual, "Tkinter reference: a GUI for Python", at
    http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/lang/python/tkinter.html

    HTH,
    ~Simon
    Simon Forman, Jul 24, 2006
  8. W. D. Allen

    John Salerno Guest

    danielx wrote:

    > I'm sure you will hear this many times, but that's a great choice ;). I
    > really think you'll like Learning Python from O'Reilly Press. The
    > authors claim you can read the book even with no prior programming
    > experience, which seems plausible having read it. Of course, you
    > already have some programming experience, so it should go much more
    > smoothly with you. Good luck finding the right book!

    I second this, as usual. Learning Python (2nd ed.) is excellent and all
    you need to get started.

    But for GUI programming, you'll need more. Tkinter comes with Python and
    is usually considered easy to start using. After a few days with it, I
    decided to simply go all out and learn wxPython instead (wxPython in
    Action is a great book). wxPython is a lot easier than I thought it
    would be, and a much more complete toolkit.

    But I think the usual caveat for GUI programming is, is it necessary?
    Would it work just as well to make a website interface to do your work,
    rather than spend the time learning a GUI toolkit and creating a GUI app?
    John Salerno, Jul 24, 2006
  9. On 2006-07-24 13:39:20, John Salerno wrote:

    > But I think the usual caveat for GUI programming is, is it necessary?
    > Would it work just as well to make a website interface to do your work,
    > rather than spend the time learning a GUI toolkit and creating a GUI
    > app?

    While I don't doubt that there are many applications that are well-suited
    for web apps and that there are a number of good reasons for making some
    apps web-based, why do you think web programming is /not/ GUI programming?

    If you just need a few text boxes and buttons in a table-like layout, both
    are easy. If you need fancier functionality, both get a bit more
    complicated. There isn't much of a difference in terms of designing the
    GUI, IMO.

    (Actually, complex GUI functionality is probably easier to design to run
    well in a local application. You don't have to split up the GUI
    functionality between server-side and client-side and you don't have to
    deal with the subtle but sometimes significant differences between
    browsers.)

    Gerhard
    Gerhard Fiedler, Jul 24, 2006
  10. W. D. Allen

    John Salerno Guest

    Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

    > While I don't doubt that there are many applications that are well-suited
    > for web apps and that there are a number of good reasons for making some
    > apps web-based, why do you think web programming is /not/ GUI programming?

    Personally I enjoy GUI programming, so I'm not really one of the people
    that recommend a web app instead. I was just throwing that out there as
    a possibility. After all, it does seem easier to use a few HTML buttons
    and textboxes in a table than to have to learn even the basics of
    something like wxPython or Tkinter. But wxPython is fun anyway, so I
    recommend it.
    John Salerno, Jul 24, 2006
  11. W. D. Allen

    Bob Sinclar Guest

    Web programming is all about stdin & stdout. Recommanded practice
    before going further.

    Bob Sinclar, Jul 24, 2006
  12. W. D. Allen

    Guest

    Bob Sinclar wrote:
    > Web programming is all about stdin & stdout. Recommanded practice
    > before going further.

    It's actually a little more (at least as far as CGI is concerned)...it
    bears some level of abstraction, namely, a decent CGI lib.
    , Jul 25, 2006
  13. W. D. Allen

    Rob Sinclar Guest

    On Tuesday 25 July 2006 04:33, wrote:
    > > Web programming is all about stdin & stdout. Recommanded practice
    > > before going further.

    > It's actually a little more (at least as far as CGI is concerned)...it
    > bears some level of abstraction, namely, a decent CGI lib.

    Do you mean CGI is not about standard input.
    In other words CGI is GUI programming? Oh probably.
    Rob Sinclar, Jul 25, 2006