    Thanks

    --
    Jeff
    Jeff, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Jeff

    Rhino Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    news:3d94e.3061$7b.2961@trndny02...
    > I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users.

    > need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL

    queries.
    > I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.
    >
    > There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
    > particularly good or bad experience with any of these?

    I haven't used any of the tools you listed but I'd like to add another
    candidate to the list: iText. I've used it successfully to create PDFs
    containing tables. I haven't tried to build any charts with it though; I'm
    not sure if it can do that.

    The main URL for iText is http://www.lowagie.com/iText/; you can also get
    the code at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/itext/

    iText is a free, open source API that is well documented with a detailed
    tutorial and a large, active mailing list.

    Rhino
    Rhino, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Jeff

    Jason Herald Guest

    I personally like Forumla One e.Report Engine.

    See here :
    http://www.reportingengines.com/products/ereportengine/overview.jsp

    --
    If you have any additional questions or need source code email
    .

    Thanks

    Jason Herald

    Jason Herald, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Jeff schrub am Montag, 4. April 2005 13:06 folgendes:

    > There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has
    > anyone had a particularly good or bad experience with
    > any of these?

    I am using JFreeReport in my Software (Rezeptbuch Pro,
    free at the links below) and i can recommend it,
    because it is easy to use and powerful enough to do
    standard-like reports.
    --
    greetz Karlheinz Klingbeil (lunqual)
    http://www.lunqual.de oder http:www.lunqual.net
    karlheinz klingbeil, Apr 4, 2005
  5. You can try Scribe from www.reportgenerator.org.

    It will let you run SQL quieries, create charts from JFreeChart and output
    the results in various formats, including PDF.

    Alex Molochnikov
    Gestalt Corporation

    Alex Molochnikov, Apr 4, 2005
  6. Jeff

    John McGrath Guest

    On 4/4/2005 at 7:06:39 AM, Jeff wrote:

    > There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
    > particularly good or bad experience with any of these?

    I had good experiences with JasperReports on a project I worked on. I did
    not actually write the reports - another developer did that, but he had
    good things to say about Jasper and everything seemed to run very smoothly.

    --
    Regards,

    John McGrath
    John McGrath, Apr 4, 2005
  7. Jeff

    John McGrath Guest

    On 4/4/2005 at 8:31:24 AM, Rhino wrote:

    > > There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
    > > particularly good or bad experience with any of these?
    > >

    > I haven't used any of the tools you listed but I'd like to add another
    > candidate to the list: iText. I've used it successfully to create PDFs
    > containing tables.

    FYI, JasperReports uses iText to generate PDF-formatted reports.

    --
    Regards,

    John McGrath
    John McGrath, Apr 4, 2005
  8. Jeff

    David Segall Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote:

    >I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users. I
    >need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL queries.
    >I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.
    >
    >There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
    >particularly good or bad experience with any of these?
    >
    >Thanks

    I don't know the others but I'm impressed with iReport
    <http://ireport.sourceforge.net/> which is a front end to
    JasperReports and allows you to visually design the reports.
    David Segall, Apr 5, 2005
  9. Jeff

    steve Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:06:39 +0800, Jeff wrote
    (in article <3d94e.3061$7b.2961@trndny02>):

    > I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users. I
    > need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL queries.
    > I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.
    >
    > There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
    > particularly good or bad experience with any of these?
    >
    > Thanks

    go with Ireports, it is a front end designer for jasperreports.

    the result is that you can output in virtually any format:
    pdf,XLS,HTml, tiff
    etc
    one "fly" in the ointment however, is that each time you upgrade the
    JasperReport library, you have to re-compile ALL the reports.
    which can be a pain for a distributed app.

    Steve
    steve, Apr 5, 2005
  10. Jeff

    Steve Green Guest

    I am in the process of rewriting a report generation tool I wrote in Java. I
    intend to add some base level features that invalidate my previous work. I
    would welcome some input as the types of features you desire in the report
    tool. Somewhere down the road I will post the application to the web.

    --Steve

    Steve Green, Apr 6, 2005
  11. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have pretty basic requirements:
    1. put some charts and tables in a .pdf. The charts and tables will be
    generated by methods that I write.
    2. insert footers, headers, etc

    I look forward to hearing about your new application,

    Jeff

    Jeff, Apr 6, 2005
  12. Jeff

    Steve Green Guest

    >I have pretty basic requirements:
    > 1. put some charts and tables in a .pdf. The charts and tables will be
    > generated by methods that I write.
    > 2. insert footers, headers, etc
    >
    > I look forward to hearing about your new application,

    The intent of my application is to generate reports from relational
    databases without the need to do coding or SQL.

    I had planned on charts, but I did not plan on a plugin setup. If I
    understand what your asking for I should write a plugin setup to allow for
    users to create custom parts.

    My first version had grid areas that had headers and footers and could be
    nested. I am not sure if that covers your need for tables or not.

    I don't have specific page headers and footers, the whole page is open
    realestate for placing fields. I will consider adding page headers and page
    footers if that is what you are asking for. In fact that gives me some
    additional ideas to consider.

    My first version also would generate PDF files using iText so I have that
    requirement covered.

    If you are curious about what I have in mind from a general perspective you
    can view the document I made for it at my website. If you are really brave
    you could even download version 0.2 from there as well. (version 1.0 will be
    a complete rewrite with more features and a better GUI.)

    If you or anyone visits my website I would appreciate any comments you
    should have.

    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4kzxs/

    --Steve
    Steve Green, Apr 6, 2005
  13. Jeff

    steve Guest

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:29:47 +0800, Steve Green wrote
    (in article <%CQ4e.17585$7b.972@trndny05>):

    > I am in the process of rewriting a report generation tool I wrote in Java. I
    > intend to add some base level features that invalidate my previous work. I
    > would welcome some input as the types of features you desire in the report
    > tool. Somewhere down the road I will post the application to the web.
    >
    > --Steve
    >
    > "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    >> I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users.
    >> I need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL
    >> queries. I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.
    >>
    >> There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
    >> particularly good or bad experience with any of these?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jeff

    why re-invent the wheel?
    steve, Apr 7, 2005
  14. Jeff

    Steve Green Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:29:47 +0800, Steve Green wrote
    > (in article <%CQ4e.17585$7b.972@trndny05>):
    >
    >> I am in the process of rewriting a report generation tool I wrote in
    >> Java. I
    >> intend to add some base level features that invalidate my previous work.
    >> would welcome some input as the types of features you desire in the
    >> report
    >> tool. Somewhere down the road I will post the application to the web.
    >>
    >> --Steve
    >>
    >> "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'd appreciate the opinion of existing report generation software users.
    >>> I need to create a .pdf with a table of row labels and data from SQL
    >>> queries. I'd also like to put a few charts in from JChart.
    >>>
    >>> There's JasperReports, DataVision, JFreeReport. Has anyone had a
    >>> particularly good or bad experience with any of these?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jeff
    >>>

    > why re-invent the wheel?

    I really don't see myself as re-inventing the wheel rather making a
    different style of wheel. My original version was finished back in 2003 and
    I put it aside for a while. Now I am in the process of revisiting the
    subject in a more structured and pattern oriented way.

    This is an exersize for me to utilize Java JDK 1.5, UML, and OOP patterns. I
    looked into your pictures and the screenshots at iReports and they look ok,
    but I am trying to do something a little different.

    It may be that nobody will be interested in what I have in mind and that is
    ok with me. I find it fun to work on this program and a challege to add
    interesting features.
    Steve Green, Apr 8, 2005
  15. I watched this thread for a while, and it appears to me that the feature set
    described in your posts (page headers/footers, page as a real estate for
    placing fields, PDF-formatted output, charts etc.) is very close (in fact,
    identical) to that of Scribe. I am curious to hear a feedback from you on my
    assumption.

    As for the "reinventing the wheel", you may indeed be doing just that - but
    if your objective is to learn something in the process, then it is worth it.

    Alex Molochnikov
    www.reportgenerator.org

    Alex Molochnikov, Apr 8, 2005
  16. Jeff

    Steve Green Guest

    "Alex Molochnikov" <> wrote in message
    >I watched this thread for a while, and it appears to me that the feature
    >set
    > described in your posts (page headers/footers, page as a real estate for
    > placing fields, PDF-formatted output, charts etc.) is very close (in fact,
    > identical) to that of Scribe. I am curious to hear a feedback from you on
    > my
    > assumption.
    >
    > As for the "reinventing the wheel", you may indeed be doing just that -
    > but
    > if your objective is to learn something in the process, then it is worth
    > it.
    >
    > Alex Molochnikov
    > www.reportgenerator.org

    I am in the process of downloading Scribe to see exactly what it does.
    Looking at the info. on the website it seems to me that it is along the
    lines of what I had in mind, although I didn't intend to do flowcharts. My
    intent was to make the interface in a different way. I will play with it a
    bit to see if it gives me any ideas. Hopefully I will not get to many and
    experience a bit of unwelcome scope creep.

    Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Green, Apr 8, 2005
  17. Jeff

    Steve Green Guest

    "Alex Molochnikov" <> wrote in message
    >I watched this thread for a while, and it appears to me that the feature
    >set
    > described in your posts (page headers/footers, page as a real estate for
    > placing fields, PDF-formatted output, charts etc.) is very close (in fact,
    > identical) to that of Scribe. I am curious to hear a feedback from you on
    > my
    > assumption.
    >
    > As for the "reinventing the wheel", you may indeed be doing just that -
    > but
    > if your objective is to learn something in the process, then it is worth
    > it.
    >
    > Alex Molochnikov
    > www.reportgenerator.org
    >
    > "Steve Green" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> This is an exersize for me to utilize Java JDK 1.5, UML, and OOP
    >> patterns.

    >> looked into your pictures and the screenshots at iReports and they look

    > ok,
    >> but I am trying to do something a little different.

    Well, the install froze up on me so I will not be able to play with Scribe,
    but I spent a bit of time looking at the tutorials. I am impressed, they did
    a good job with there flowcharting tool. They also seemed to have a solution
    to some issues that I had not resolved, namely the updating of databases. I
    will try my best to keep my implementation different from thiers.

    Steve
    Steve Green, Apr 8, 2005
  18. "Steve Green" <> wrote in message
    > Well, the install froze up on me so I will not be able to play with

    Scribe,

    I wonder why it froze up. What OS did you try to install it on? And at what
    point did it hung?

    > but I spent a bit of time looking at the tutorials. I am impressed, they

    did
    > a good job with there flowcharting tool.

    Thank you. "They" is actually us - Gestalt Corporation.

    > They also seemed to have a solution
    > to some issues that I had not resolved, namely the updating of databases.

    > will try my best to keep my implementation different from thiers.

    There are probably more issues for a report generator to resolve, apart from
    updating the databases (which, strictly speaking, would be outside of the
    scope of the RG functionality). Things like e-mailing the reports,
    publishing them over the Web, cascading them in a drill-down sequence,
    running them in the background as a separate process, scheduling them for
    automatic execution - to name just a few.

    > ...I didn't intend to do flowcharts. My intent was to make the interface

    in a different way.

    The flowcharts are not part of the user interface (meaning the "end user" -
    the one who runs the report and benefits from its output). They are a
    programming tool for the developer of the report, letting him to create the
    report logic without actually coding it in a programming language, and
    without knowing much of SQL.

    Anyway, good luck with your exercise.

    AM
    Alex Molochnikov, Apr 8, 2005
  19. Jeff

    Steven Guest

    >> Well, the install froze up on me so I will not be able to play with
    >Scribe,
    >
    >I wonder why it froze up. What OS did you try to install it on? And at what
    >point did it hung?

    Sorry for the late reply, I did not see this message until now ... I
    switched from Outlook Express to free agent and am trying to catch up
    to where I was and what do my wandering eyes see ... another post.

    I was attempting to install it on Windows XP Professional.
    Unfortunately I no longer know where exactly ... it has been too long.

    >> but I spent a bit of time looking at the tutorials. I am impressed, they

    >did
    >> a good job with there flowcharting tool.

    >Thank you. "They" is actually us - Gestalt Corporation.

    You're welcome.

    >> They also seemed to have a solution
    >> to some issues that I had not resolved, namely the updating of databases.

    >> will try my best to keep my implementation different from thiers.

    >There are probably more issues for a report generator to resolve, apart from
    >updating the databases (which, strictly speaking, would be outside of the
    >scope of the RG functionality). Things like e-mailing the reports,
    >publishing them over the Web, cascading them in a drill-down sequence,
    >running them in the background as a separate process, scheduling them for
    >automatic execution - to name just a few.

    Most of these issues are not simple, but a more straight forward
    implementation from where my application was. I don't intend to cover
    email or web in my first version, although HTML would just be another
    output driver that I could support.

    >> ...I didn't intend to do flowcharts. My intent was to make the interface

    >in a different way.
    >
    >The flowcharts are not part of the user interface (meaning the "end user" -
    >the one who runs the report and benefits from its output). They are a
    >programming tool for the developer of the report, letting him to create the
    >report logic without actually coding it in a programming language, and
    >without knowing much of SQL.

    I did the same thing in my application. I created a "database"
    definition for the developer to create. Once created by the developer
    the database definition can be saved and used to create the reports.
    Although I didn't use flowcharts in my initial version I did make a
    similar separation of logic.

    >Anyway, good luck with your exercise.
    >
    >AM

    Thanks again. Right now I am trying to internalize the MVC pattern. So
    I am going slow on my code. Still trying to figure out what I want to
    keep and what I need to rewrite. I don't expect to be any competition
    to you in the forseeable future, but hopefully someday I will have
    something interesting.

    --Steve
    Steven, Apr 16, 2005