Which script shall I choose for web automation?

campos

Hi,

I'm trying to write an application which uses script to control web
browser, such as inputing some data in the form, submitting, button
clicking and so on. I wonder which script language is the best for
such operations. As far as I know watir is good in Ruby. What about
Python and others? Advantanges and disadvantages? Thanks in advance!

Michael Guterl

Do you need all the features of a browser? Such as visual images,
JavaScript, CSS, etc.?

Or are you just trying to drive the servers' program thru HTTP?

If the former, you need to use a browser and its scripting language. Try
Selenium, Watir, or their ilk.

If the later, then you just need the HTTP protocol. Try HttpUnit in
Java, or its equivalents in other languages. I think Perl has Mechanize.

Ruby has mechanize too. http://mechanize.rubyforge.org

campos

Do you need all the features of a browser? Such as visual images,
JavaScript, CSS, etc.?

Or are you just trying to drive the servers' program thru HTTP?

If the former, you need to use a browser and its scripting language. Try
Selenium, Watir, or their ilk.

If the later, then you just need the HTTP protocol. Try HttpUnit in
Java, or its equivalents in other languages. I think Perl has Mechanize.

And stay with Ruby, if you can!

I need visualization of the browser, emulation of human's activities.
Let me try Selenium and Watir. Thanks Phlip!