which scripting languages can be used?

Lord Merlin

Here is an interesting question, and it's not aimed at anything other than
to help every coder / developer / programmer out there.

I was wondering, which languages can be used in .asp files?
I know one can use vbscript / JavaScript / jsp / perl.
But, what about C++ / C / cobal / python / visual basic / fortan?

and, if you want to use any of these, how would you do it?
The default codepage is <% @ LANGUAGE = "VBScript"%>, which as we can see if
vbscript. But, let's say you are a PHP programmer / C++ programmer, and you
don't really want to learn a new programming language (but would learn new
concepts / platforms / RDBMS), wouldn't it make life much easier?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends
(John 15:13).

Bob Barrows

Lord said:
Here is an interesting question, and it's not aimed at anything other
than to help every coder / developer / programmer out there.

I was wondering, which languages can be used in .asp files?
I know one can use vbscript / JavaScript / jsp / perl.
But, what about C++ / C / cobal / python / visual basic / fortan?

In ASP, you're only alternative is to use dll's which can be called from
your vbscript/jscript code. vbscript is so similar to VB that the learning
curve is very small.
and, if you want to use any of these, how would you do it?
The default codepage is <% @ LANGUAGE = "VBScript"%>, which as we can
see if vbscript. But, let's say you are a PHP programmer / C++
programmer, and you don't really want to learn a new programming
language (but would learn new concepts / platforms / RDBMS), wouldn't
it make life much easier?

Sounds like you're ready to make the move to .NET, which either already has
the capability of supporting those languages, or will sometime in the
future. The exception is Visual Basic. While there is a VB.Net, it is so
different from VB6 that it is almost a new language.

Go to msdn.microsoft.com and read up about it. The .NET newsgroups all have
the word "dotnet" in their names.

Bob Barrows

Lord Merlin

: Lord Merlin wrote:
: > Here is an interesting question, and it's not aimed at anything other
: > than to help every coder / developer / programmer out there.
: >
:
[...]

I expected something like this. But the reason for this post is simple :)
I'm a developer, and that's what I do. I don't care what my clients do with
what I develop, and if I had it my way, I would only use PHP / MySQL, for
various reasons. But, I have customers with demands, and very often they
already have something in place, which needs to be re-developed / updated /
changed. Thus the reason for learning as I go along, and as the need arises.
I'm sure we each have our own prefere language / environment / development
model, yet to a great extend every language lacks something that another
language has got /can do.
And for that simple reason it would be nice to sometimes mix the languages,
or rather the capabilities :)

:
: Go to msdn.microsoft.com and read up about it. The .NET newsgroups all
have
: the word "dotnet" in their names.
:
: Bob Barrows
: --
: Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
: Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
: don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
: "NO SPAM"
:
:

But yes, in general I asked this to see what can be done, to learn, and
hopefully in the process teach as well. We all started at a point, where we
knew nothing, yet today some of us can look back, and the evidence of our
knowledge, and experience is live all over the internet, and someone is
making millions from our works / creations. And that puts a smile on my
face, knowing that I could help someone grow a business, but also that my
years of curiosity, learning, trying, making success pays off.

--

Lord said:
But yes, in general I asked this to see what can be done, to learn,
and hopefully in the process teach as well. We all started at a
point, where we knew nothing, yet today some of us can look back, and
the evidence of our knowledge, and experience is live all over the
internet, and someone is making millions from our works / creations.
And that puts a smile on my face, knowing that I could help someone
grow a business, but also that my years of curiosity, learning,
trying, making success pays off.

I don't understand this reaction. You make it sound as if I was criticizing
your question.

I was simply answering it to the best of my ability.

Bob Barrows

Lord Merlin

: Lord Merlin wrote:
:
: >
[...]
No Bob, not at all.
Your comments and views is what I want to see, and they were good.
This is exactly what I'm looking for, these comments, from different users,
with different programming backgrounds, and different views. What you said
was perfectly in line, and I just stated why I asked this question, that's
all :)