    Professionals)
    http://over100percent.com (See How to Earn Over 100 Percent at EXIT Realty)
    http::/HipFSBO.com (Find a FSBO Friendly Real Estate Professional)
    Steve Horrillo, Jun 27, 2005

  2. Steve Horrillo wrote:

    > Is there a single engine or directory that can tell you if "you've made it
    > to the big time?" Is Yahoo number one? I find that my ranking varies
    > widely from engine to engine for the same search term. Which one's should
    > I shoot for?

    DMOZ is said to be very helpful to you Google PageRank. In fact, directories
    are often valuable as a tool of enhancing ranks in search engines, but not
    necessary much beyond that. Getting listed means that you are unlikely to
    be a spammer or scraper.

    Google currently serves the largest number of referrals, so if visitors who
    target your business are the priority, Google number 1 is your goal. But
    what does number 1 mean? It all depends on the search term (i.e the SERP).

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jun 27, 2005

  3. in alt.html, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Steve Horrillo wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a single engine or directory that can tell you if "you've made it
    > > to the big time?"

    Google, with some popular term...

    All others depends on what's your focus. Often, there is one or two link
    list pages where it is very good to get. On some subjects, if you are not
    in some directory, you might be not be even found by experts, even if you
    are on good place by google...

    > Google currently serves the largest number of referrals, so if visitors who
    > target your business are the priority, Google number 1 is your goal. But
    > what does number 1 mean? It all depends on the search term (i.e the SERP).

    Yes. Google number one is very easy to get, for some terms (I actually
    use google lucky search (ctrl + l) to quickly go to most of my pages)

    But for some terms, it is very hard... Especially hard if your term also
    means something in English, and your site is in some minor language, like
    Finnish...

    Kohtuuhintainen yksiö/huone haussa Oulusta syyskuusta eteenpäin.
    Searching places to sleep on axis Bonn - Tsech - Poland - baltic sea in
    july
    Lauri Raittila, Jun 27, 2005
  4. Lauri Raittila wrote:

    > in alt.html, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Steve Horrillo wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is there a single engine or directory that can tell you if "you've made
    >> > it to the big time?"

    > Google, with some popular term...
    >
    > All others depends on what's your focus. Often, there is one or two link
    > list pages where it is very good to get. On some subjects, if you are not
    > in some directory, you might be not be even found by experts, even if you
    > are on good place by google...
    >
    >> Google currently serves the largest number of referrals, so if visitors
    >> who target your business are the priority, Google number 1 is your goal.
    >> But what does number 1 mean? It all depends on the search term (i.e the
    >> SERP).

    Google gives some kind of a boost to new sites so getting the number one
    position for just a couple of weeks might be easy. Getting number one for a
    1- or 2-word phrase is hard, especially if it's a meaningful, actual term
    like 'open source' or 'internet explorer 7' these days.

    > Yes. Google number one is very easy to get, for some terms (I actually
    > use google lucky search (ctrl + l) to quickly go to most of my pages)

    How do you do that? I am very curious. The most efficient way for me has
    been an internal site search (as in the top-right of
    http://www.schestowitz.com/Portal/); I subsequently hit the first result.
    Can this be made shorter?

    > But for some terms, it is very hard... Especially hard if your term also
    > means something in English, and your site is in some minor language, like
    > Finnish...

    Very true. There is some class of software that gives you insight into SERP
    popularity.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz