Which subversion interface is the most used one?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Markus Schaber, Mar 26, 2011.

  1. Hi,

    at one of our projects, we could make use of a subversion interface for
    IronPython. But there seems none to exist.

    The easiest way would be to directly expose SharpSVN to the IronPython
    scripts, but that is not a very pythonic solution. So we had the Idea
    of porting the existing python interfaces to IronPython.

    And here the confusion starts, there seem to exist at least three of
    them (those are the ones I found being prepackaged on debian):

    python-subversion: Seems to be a rather autogenerated wrapper around
    libsvn - thus being feature-complete, but rather unpythonic.

    python-svn (pysvn): Seems to be written in C++, and give a somehow
    pythonic interface to the most important functionality.

    python-subvertpy: Seems to aggregate the advantages of the two previous
    solutions, but I did not find any API documentation.

    It seems that porting one of them to IronPython in a 1:1 fashion is no
    feasible solution.

    So I came up with the Idea of simply re-implementing the API of one of
    those packages in C#, in a way that it can be exposed as IronPython
    module, using SharpSVN or Monodevelop-VersionControl as backend. This
    seems to be a rather low cost way of providing subversion functionality
    to IronPython, in a way compatible with at least some of the cPython
    Subversion applications.

    Now my question:

    Which one of the SVN interfaces are established and broadly used?

    I don't want to risk to put effort into implementing a dead API when
    others are alive.

    I have a slight tendency to pysvn, as it seems to be well documented
    and pythonic.

    Thanks for your comments.

    Markus

    --
    Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise lösen, durch
    die sie entstanden sind. (Albert Einstein)
    Markus Schaber, Mar 26, 2011

  2. Markus Schaber wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > at one of our projects, we could make use of a subversion interface

    for
    > IronPython. But there seems none to exist.
    >
    > The easiest way would be to directly expose SharpSVN to the

    IronPython
    > scripts, but that is not a very pythonic solution. So we had the Idea
    > of porting the existing python interfaces to IronPython.
    >
    > And here the confusion starts, there seem to exist at least three of
    > them (those are the ones I found being prepackaged on debian):
    >
    > python-subversion: Seems to be a rather autogenerated wrapper around
    > libsvn - thus being feature-complete, but rather unpythonic.
    >
    > python-svn (pysvn): Seems to be written in C++, and give a somehow
    > pythonic interface to the most important functionality.
    >
    > python-subvertpy: Seems to aggregate the advantages of the two

    previous
    > solutions, but I did not find any API documentation.
    >
    > It seems that porting one of them to IronPython in a 1:1 fashion is

    no
    > feasible solution.
    >
    > So I came up with the Idea of simply re-implementing the API of one

    of
    > those packages in C#, in a way that it can be exposed as IronPython
    > module, using SharpSVN or Monodevelop-VersionControl as backend. This
    > seems to be a rather low cost way of providing subversion

    functionality
    > to IronPython, in a way compatible with at least some of the cPython
    > Subversion applications.
    >
    > Now my question:
    >
    > Which one of the SVN interfaces are established and broadly used?
    >
    > I don't want to risk to put effort into implementing a dead API when
    > others are alive.
    >
    > I have a slight tendency to pysvn, as it seems to be well documented
    > and pythonic.
    >
    > Thanks for your comments.

    The eric Python IDE uses the pysvn interface, which works much better
    than interfacing to the svn executable.

    Detlev
    --
    Detlev Offenbach