Which version of Tomcat?

meemee

Hi,

I have jdk 1.0 installed in XP box.

I need to download and install Oomcat and MySQL in my XP box and also
for Linux box (after installing Linux).

I have downloaded MySQL verison 5.0 as well as ver 3.5 - it seems that
vers 5.0 is availabel for XP only.

At the apache site, I was confused how to go about downloading Tomcat?
Any hlep? Also, which version should I try?

As for MySQL, should I just use ver 3.5 for both XP and Linux?

Daniel Dyer

Hi,

I have jdk 1.0 installed in XP box.

You'll need something more recent than that. JDK 1.0 is 11 years old and
lacks many core classes that we've been taking for granted for years. I
haven't checked but I'd be amazed if Tomcat doesn't need at least 1.2, and
I wouldn't be surprised if 1.4 was a minimum.

How did you end up with 1.0 on an XP box?
I need to download and install Oomcat and MySQL in my XP box and also
for Linux box (after installing Linux).

I have downloaded MySQL verison 5.0 as well as ver 3.5 - it seems that
vers 5.0 is availabel for XP only.

I've got version MySQL 5.0 on my Ubuntu install, so it's definitely
available for Linux.
At the apache site, I was confused how to go about downloading Tomcat?
Any hlep? Also, which version should I try?

Why not start with the latest stable version, unless you have a reason not
to?
As for MySQL, should I just use ver 3.5 for both XP and Linux?

Why not just download 5.0?

Dan.

Thomas Kellerer

I have jdk 1.0 installed in XP box.
First thing: get a recent JDK (e.g. Java5 or Java6)
I need to download and install Oomcat and MySQL in my XP box and also
for Linux box (after installing Linux).

At the apache site, I was confused how to go about downloading Tomcat?
Any hlep? Also, which version should I try?

I'd go for 5.5 which requires JDK 5 (aka 1.5).

I have no clue what you mean with confused about downloading. Click on the link
labelled "Tomcat 5.5" just below the "Download" header and download the core
distribution.

Thomas

meemee

Daniel said:
You'll need something more recent than that. JDK 1.0 is 11 years old and
lacks many core classes that we've been taking for granted for years. I
haven't checked but I'd be amazed if Tomcat doesn't need at least 1.2, and
I wouldn't be surprised if 1.4 was a minimum.

How did you end up with 1.0 on an XP box?

Oops, sorry. typo. I have jdk 1.5.
I've got version MySQL 5.0 on my Ubuntu install, so it's definitely
available for Linux.

Good to know. I'm planning to use Ubuntu as well.
Why not start with the latest stable version, unless you have a reason not
to?

Why not just download 5.0?

I didn't see MySQL 5.0 for Linux.

meemee

Thomas said:
First thing: get a recent JDK (e.g. Java5 or Java6)

Sorry, my typo. I hav jdk 1.5.
I'd go for 5.5 which requires JDK 5 (aka 1.5).
OKay.

I have no clue what you mean with confused about downloading. Click on the link
labelled "Tomcat 5.5" just below the "Download" header and download the core
distribution.

Okay, Core. Thanks.