Which "w3wp.exe" should I debug?...

Zhenxin Li

Hello,

I want to debug a deployed web service in a remote server. The client is a set-top-box, so I can't debug the client and web service in a single machine.

There are many "w3wp.exe" processes in the server. I think only one hosts the web service that I want to debug. Which one should I debug? Are there any tools to discover the web services that w3wp.exe is hosting?

Best regards,
Zhenxin Li

Martin Kulov

Zhenxin Li said:
Hello,

There are many "w3wp.exe" processes in the server. I think only one hosts
the web service that I want to debug. Which one should I debug? Are there
any tools to discover the web services that w3wp.exe is hosting?

Hi Zhenxin,

you can query the command line parameters for each w3wp.exe process. IIS
starts each of them each application pool in a separate process using the
command line parameter -ap. See two examples of w3wp processes that run on
my machine.

c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe -a
\\.\pipe\iisipmc6c05083-6966-4da1-a466-5ed454345a7c -t 20 -ap
"RemoteDiskAppPool"

c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe -a
\\.\pipe\iisipm241feb80-cbce-4349-9325-7cc0c431b96a -t 20 -ap
"DefaultAppPool"

Best,

--
Martin Kulov