Which way is faster for a simple web reporting system: django, web.pyor cgi

Discussion in 'Python' started by idev, May 9, 2008.

  1. idev

    idev Guest

    Hi all,

    May be this is a dump question, but it makes me crazy in my research.
    I am not a developer but I have experience with web development (PHP)
    in a past. Most my activities are around database administration and
    design. For most database administration tasks I am using Python. Very
    often I need to come up very quickly with web interface or web
    application to a database, more then less complicated. The standard
    set is:

    * speed of the development (I think a framework is the way, but which
    one?)
    * user authorization (my preferences are sessions)
    * form validation for input data
    * file uploading
    * export data to different format like csv, pdf, xml

    For example I need to create a simple reporting system. Using
    different filters like HTML drop down lists, radio buttons, check
    boxes and etc., I need to generate different output to my team and
    managers.

    I realize that today is very popular and useful, using a framework.
    Which Python framework or solution will be more faster to start (i.e.
    for start, usually I have maximum two weeks, if a project looks like a
    stable I can get three, four weeks), flexible (i.e. using SQL queries
    together with views) and easier in integration: django, web.py, CGI or
    something else?

    Thanks in advance.
    idev, May 9, 2008

  2. Re: Which way is faster for a simple web reporting system: django,web.py or cgi

    idev a écrit :
    > Hi all,
    >
    > May be this is a dump question, but it makes me crazy in my research.
    > I am not a developer but I have experience with web development (PHP)
    > in a past. Most my activities are around database administration and
    > design. For most database administration tasks I am using Python. Very
    > often I need to come up very quickly with web interface or web
    > application to a database, more then less complicated. The standard
    > set is:
    >
    > * speed of the development (I think a framework is the way, but which
    > one?)
    > * user authorization (my preferences are sessions)
    > * form validation for input data
    > * file uploading
    > * export data to different format like csv, pdf, xml
    >
    > For example I need to create a simple reporting system. Using
    > different filters like HTML drop down lists, radio buttons, check
    > boxes and etc., I need to generate different output to my team and
    > managers.
    >
    > I realize that today is very popular and useful, using a framework.
    > Which Python framework or solution will be more faster to start (i.e.
    > for start, usually I have maximum two weeks, if a project looks like a
    > stable I can get three, four weeks), flexible (i.e. using SQL queries
    > together with views) and easier in integration: django, web.py, CGI or
    > something else?

    Given your background and requirements, I'd strongly recommand Django.
    Bruno Desthuilliers, May 9, 2008