  1. Wisgary

    Wisgary Guest

    Would it be fair to say that it is javac?

    Wisgary, Mar 13, 2007

  2. Wisgary wrote:
    > Would it be fair to say that it is javac?

    Absolutely.

    jikes is a niche.

    The IBM, BEA and Oracle ones are mostly used for big
    production boxes not so much for development.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Mar 13, 2007

  3. Wisgary

    Alan Cui Guest

    For IBM's JDK, the compiler also called javac, just another
    implementation. But if you are dealing with some IBM's products such
    as Websphere or something, you must have the IBM's JDK(in some cases,
    there is a special edition for Websphere) as your development base, as
    there're some differences between IBM's and Sun's

    Alan Cui, Mar 13, 2007
  4. Alan Cui wrote:
    > For IBM's JDK, the compiler also called javac, just another
    > implementation. But if you are dealing with some IBM's products such
    > as Websphere or something, you must have the IBM's JDK(in some cases,
    > there is a special edition for Websphere) as your development base, as
    > there're some differences between IBM's and Sun's

    WAS requires IBM JDK to run.

    But the code you write should hopefully compile
    fine with a SUN javac.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Mar 13, 2007
  5. Wisgary

    Adam Maass Guest

    "Arne Vajhøj" <> wrote:

    > WAS requires IBM JDK to run.
    >
    > But the code you write should hopefully compile
    > fine with a SUN javac.

    That's kind of creepy: WAS is only source-compatible, not
    bytecode-compatible?

    -- Adam Maass

    Adam Maass, Mar 13, 2007
  6. Adam Maass wrote:
    > "Arne Vajhøj" <> wrote:
    >> WAS requires IBM JDK to run.
    >>
    >> But the code you write should hopefully compile
    >> fine with a SUN javac.

    > That's kind of creepy: WAS is only source-compatible, not
    > bytecode-compatible?

    The IBM JVM is fully byte compatible.

    It is a either a library issue or a support issue.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Mar 13, 2007
  7. Wisgary

    Alan Cui Guest

    Not exactly, it depends on which version of Sun JVM you used to
    compile. IBM's WAS JDK only compatible with Sun JDK 1.4x. But in this
    version also some constant are not exactly same with sun's. I can't
    remember which constants, something relative to jar package schema.

    Alan Cui, Mar 14, 2007
  8. Alan Cui wrote:
    > Not exactly, it depends on which version of Sun JVM you used to
    > compile. IBM's WAS JDK only compatible with Sun JDK 1.4x. But in this
    > version also some constant are not exactly same with sun's. I can't
    > remember which constants, something relative to jar package schema.

    I find it very questionable whether any IBM Java is only compatible
    with SUN Java 1.4.x.

    IBM Java is certified as being J2SE compliant, so if a *documented*
    features does not work, then you should ask IBM to fix it.

    If it is *undocumented*, then ...

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Mar 14, 2007
  9. Wisgary

    Guest

    On Mar 13, 1:01 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Alan Cui wrote:
    > > For IBM's JDK, the compiler also called javac, just another
    > > implementation. But if you are dealing with some IBM's products such
    > > as Websphere or something, you must have the IBM's JDK(in some cases,
    > > there is a special edition for Websphere) as your development base, as
    > > there're some differences between IBM's and Sun's

    > WAS requires IBM JDK to run.
    >
    > But the code you write should hopefully compile
    > fine with a SUN javac.
    >
    > Arne

    I was under the impression that WAS uses the IBM JDK on some platforms
    and not on others. I think on Solaris WAS uses the SUN JDK.

    http://frustrationsofaprogrammer.blogspot.com/

    , Mar 15, 2007
  10. wrote:
    > On Mar 13, 1:01 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Alan Cui wrote:
    >>> For IBM's JDK, the compiler also called javac, just another
    >>> implementation. But if you are dealing with some IBM's products such
    >>> as Websphere or something, you must have the IBM's JDK(in some cases,
    >>> there is a special edition for Websphere) as your development base, as
    >>> there're some differences between IBM's and Sun's

    >> WAS requires IBM JDK to run.
    >>
    >> But the code you write should hopefully compile
    >> fine with a SUN javac.

    > I was under the impression that WAS uses the IBM JDK on some platforms
    > and not on others. I think on Solaris WAS uses the SUN JDK.

    Sounds likely since I don't think that IBM JDK exist for Solaris.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Mar 15, 2007