whidbey/asp.net: best practices for generating XML and binding to treeview?

Ken Fine

Apologies if this is not the right place for this question.

I'm curious what method people use in practice to translate database data
into XML that can be consumed by XML-hungry controls. I'm playing around
with Whidbey, and one of the niftier controls is the treeview. For my use it
makes sense to pull this information from a database. However, the treeview
wants XML in file-based form.

I know that SQL Server 2k (which I have) can return XML mapped to a schema
you specify. However, the Whidbey design environment only allows for XML
files to define the XmlDataSource.

Certainly, we could write out XML to disk, though that seems inefficient. Am
I getting what I deserve for expecting too much out of an alpha release of a
new development tool, or is there some fundamental design pattern that I
need to acquaint myself with?

Thanks.

-KF