While we're discussing 'ri'...

Hal Fulton

I have a confession. 'ri' has never worked for me, and I have never
tracked down the reason(s) why.

I have the following files on my system named ri... the first one is
the one in my path.

/usr/local/bin/ri
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/ri
/usr/local/share/ri
/usr/src/self/ruby-1.8.1/bin/ri
/usr/src/self/ruby-1.8.1/lib/rdoc/ri

And that one doesn't even respond to -v, but --help says that it's
"alpha 0.1" which sounds ancient to me.

What's the shortest path from here to sanity?

Hal

Dave Thomas

What's the shortest path from here to sanity?

Can't help you there, but to get ri working, I suggest (assuming you're
running from a source distribution)

1. Delete everything on your system that has 'ri' in the path.
2. Do the same for rdoc
3. do a 'make install'

If you're installing from Curt's Window's installer, then uninstall the
previous version and install his new one which has ri and rdoc
configured correctly.

Cheers

Dave

Hal Fulton

Dave said:
Can't help you there,

I asked for that, didn't I? :) "My mind is going, Dave..."
but to get ri working, I suggest (assuming you're
running from a source distribution)

[snip]

OK, will try that.
If you're installing from Curt's Window's installer, then uninstall the
previous version and install his new one which has ri and rdoc
configured correctly.

I avoid Windows as much as possible these days. But I will get around
to reinstalling sometime soon. I'm glad for the work Curt has done, and
you and Andy prior to that.

Hal

Hal Fulton

Hal said:
but to get ri working, I suggest (assuming you're running from a
source distribution)

[snip]

OK, will try that.

Hmm, doesn't work for me. I think I'll probably just switch to
1.8.2 or cvs and compile/install from scratch. Surely that will
fix it.

Hal

James Britt

Hal said:
I have a confession. 'ri' has never worked for me, and I have never
tracked down the reason(s) why.

I have the following files on my system named ri... the first one is
the one in my path.

/usr/local/bin/ri
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/ri
/usr/local/share/ri
/usr/src/self/ruby-1.8.1/bin/ri
/usr/src/self/ruby-1.8.1/lib/rdoc/ri

And that one doesn't even respond to -v, but --help says that it's
"alpha 0.1" which sounds ancient to me.

What's the shortest path from here to sanity?

I grabbed the latest 1.8.2 source.
I ran the usual: autoconf, configure, make, make install.
ri failed.
I looked inside Makefile and see the target install-doc.
I ran make install-doc.
ri worked.

Not the most obvious path for me, but there you go.

James

Hal Fulton

James said:
I grabbed the latest 1.8.2 source.
I ran the usual: autoconf, configure, make, make install.
ri failed.
I looked inside Makefile and see the target install-doc.
I ran make install-doc.
ri worked.

Not the most obvious path for me, but there you go.

I'm trying that now. Sounds like it should be added so that
it happens automagically.

Out of curiosity: Does 'make test' work for you? It fails
for me, but the build seems ok...

Hal

Dave Thomas

I ran make install-doc.
ri worked.

Not the most obvious path for me, but there you go.

Perhaps you might mention that over on ruby-core...

Cheers

Dave

Charles Comstock

Hal said:
I'm trying that now. Sounds like it should be added so that
it happens automagically.

Out of curiosity: Does 'make test' work for you? It fails
for me, but the build seems ok...

Hal
When you configure do a --enable-install-doc and then it will
autoinstall as you build. Personally I think that should be the default
and --disable-install-doc should be the option if say you were rapidly
recompiling the ruby source.

Charles Comstock

Mauricio Fernández

I'm trying that now. Sounds like it should be added so that
it happens automagically.

Some of the core devels opposed that since they build several times a
day and don't want to waste time regenerating ri data files.
OTOH there could be another target with no ri docs for them...
Out of curiosity: Does 'make test' work for you? It fails
for me, but the build seems ok...

Works for me with a fairly old tarball (ruby 1.8.2 2004-06-28).

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

All the existing 2.0.x kernels are to buggy for 2.1.x to be the
main goal.
-- Alan Cox

James Britt

Dave said:
Perhaps you might mention that over on ruby-core...

I just might. I believe there was previous discussion there on whether
rdocs/ri should be installed by default or not; I'd vote Yes (and may
have even said so at the time), but I don't recall what the counter
arguments were.

James

James Britt

Charles said:
When you configure do a --enable-install-doc and then it will
autoinstall as you build. Personally I think that should be the default
and --disable-install-doc should be the option if say you were rapidly
recompiling the ruby source.

I don't recall that even being mentioned when I did ./configure --help.

I had remembered something along those lines from a thread on ruby-core,
but did not see any option listed to tell configure to do this.

James

James Britt

James said:
I don't recall that even being mentioned when I did ./configure --help.

I had remembered something along those lines from a thread on ruby-core,
but did not see any option listed to tell configure to do this.

But, indeed, it *is* there, last item in right before Optional Features.

James

Sean O'Dell

I just might. I believe there was previous discussion there on whether
rdocs/ri should be installed by default or not; I'd vote Yes (and may
have even said so at the time), but I don't recall what the counter
arguments were.

Why not split Ruby into two distributions, the core Ruby binaries and
libraries needed to run Ruby scripts, and a developer distribution which
contains irb, ri, rdocs and anything else a Ruby developer would need.

Sean O'Dell

Cameron McBride

When you configure do a --enable-install-doc and then it will
autoinstall as you build. Personally I think that should be the default
and --disable-install-doc should be the option if say you were rapidly
recompiling the ruby source.

Just to add another vote, I think it'd be really useful to have that
--enable-install-doc as the default.

Cameron

Charles Comstock

Mauricio said:
Some of the core devels opposed that since they build several times a
day and don't want to waste time regenerating ri data files.
OTOH there could be another target with no ri docs for them...

Right I understand why it would bother them, but it doesn't seem to hard
to make it --disable-install-docs as a configure option and then
everytime they do a new make they don't have that extra step.

Charles Comstock

Charles Comstock

Sean said:
Why not split Ruby into two distributions, the core Ruby binaries and
libraries needed to run Ruby scripts, and a developer distribution which
contains irb, ri, rdocs and anything else a Ruby developer would need.

Sean O'Dell

irb, ri, rdocs etc are all very small. All the documentation is from
the actual source, it's a question as to whether they should be
generated automatically that's all. I don't really think that warrants
splitting the distribution. I'm just suggesting you can disable it with
--disable-install-doc as a configure option, and have enable the default.

Charles Comstock