white space on right side of page

TDahl

HI.

I just finished a site for my lacrosse team and I've noticed that there is
extra white space on the far right of the page next to the slide bar on a
few of the pages but not on the index page.

http://www.rhinolacrosse.com

The index page has teh border go to the edge, but on every other page the
gray background stops before reaching the side.

Any idea why this is happening? the bottom portions of the tables look all
the same.

Thanks for any help.

Timothy

Nik Coughin

TDahl said:
HI.

I just finished a site for my lacrosse team and I've noticed that
there is extra white space on the far right of the page next to the
slide bar on a few of the pages but not on the index page.

http://www.rhinolacrosse.com

The index page has teh border go to the edge, but on every other page
the gray background stops before reaching the side.

Any idea why this is happening? the bottom portions of the tables
look all the same.

Thanks for any help.

Timothy

No idea, but it's not there in either Opera or Mozilla. I only see that gap
in IE.

TDahl

Nik Coughin said:
No idea, but it's not there in either Opera or Mozilla. I only see that gap
in IE.

Yeah I noticed that too. Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

Nik Coughin

TDahl said:
Yeah I noticed that too. Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

You should consider moving away from table-based layouts.

In the mean time, if you want a kluge of a workaround, set the background
color of the page to the same grey as in your background image.

TDahl

Nik Coughin said:
You should consider moving away from table-based layouts.

In the mean time, if you want a kluge of a workaround, set the background
color of the page to the same grey as in your background image.

What is wrong with table based layouts?? besides the fact I've got some
errors here? much better than a frame

Mark Parnell

Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

Then your code is probably no good. If something works in IE but not
other browsers, it's usually IE getting it wrong.

Nik Coughin

TDahl said:
What is wrong with table based layouts?? besides the fact I've got
some errors here? much better than a frame

Have a look at some of these pages:

http://tinyurl.com/3crm5

The regulars have many more links on the topic, perhaps if you asked nicely
one of them could post them here.

Learn CSS. Trust me, you'll be glad you did :)

Have fun, and good luck.

Mark Parnell

The regulars have many more links on the topic, perhaps if you asked nicely
one of them could post them here.

You mean like these?

css tutorials and other fun 'n giggly css stuff:
http://www.css.nu/
http://www.mako4css.com/
http://www.richinstyle.com/
http://www.blazonry.com/css/
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
http://www.websitetips.com/css/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/
http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/indexcss.htm
http://www.climbtothestars.org/coding/cssbasic/
http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/index.cfm/css/
http://www.freewebmastertips.com/php/content.php3?aid=48
http://www.canit.se/~griffon/web/writing_stylesheets.html
http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/xhtml2/exerpt/css-4a.html
http://idm.internet.com/articles/200101/csstutorial1a.html
http://www.greytower.net/en/archive/articles/tsutsumi.html
http://www.westciv.com.au/style_master/academy/css_tutorial/
http://webmonkey.com/authoring/stylesheets/tutorials/tutorial1.html

layout examples:
http://www.glish.com/css/
http://www.csszengarden.com/
http://www.wannabegirl.org/css/
http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/
http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/
http://www.xs4all.nl/~apple77/columns/
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
http://www.htmler.org/tutorials/3/1.html
http://css.nu/articles/floating-boxes.html
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/
http://www.roguelibrarian.com/lj/index.html
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts
http://ecoculture.com/styleguide/r/rollovers.html
http://thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/index.html
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/style/sheets/layout/advanced/

rounded corners:
http://www.albin.net/CSS/roundedCorners/
http://www.webweaver.org/dan/css/corners/
http://www.guyfisher.com/builder/workshop/css/corners/

slants: http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/slantinfo.html
centring: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/www/centre/
lists: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/taminglists/
pure css menus: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

master compatibility charts:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/css2tests/intro.html
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html
http://macedition.com/cb/resources/abridgedcsssupport.html
old:
http://www.immix.net/html/CSSGuide.htm
http://devedge.netscape.com/library/xref/2003/css-support/

hiding CSS from crappy browsers:
http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/trick-hide.html
http://www.w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/

css checkers:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/

cascading style sheets, level 1 specification
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1.html
cascading style sheets, level 2 specification
http://www.w3.org/tr/rec-css2/cover.html
cascading style sheets, level 2 revision 1 working draft
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/

(thanks brucie)

mscir

Mark said:
Then your code is probably no good. If something works in IE but not
other browsers, it's usually IE getting it wrong.

I would recommend using CSS to format your pages. Maybe try this to fix
the white space, basically I moved the table style into the head section
and added border-collapse. Also center the table with a div:

<head>
..table1 {
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
border: 0;
cellspacing: 0;
cellpadding: 0;
border-collapse: collapse;
}
</HEAD>

<center>

Good Luck,
Mike

TDahl

mscir said:
I would recommend using CSS to format your pages. Maybe try this to fix
the white space, basically I moved the table style into the head section
and added border-collapse. Also center the table with a div:

<head>
.table1 {
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
border: 0;
cellspacing: 0;
cellpadding: 0;
border-collapse: collapse;
}
</HEAD>

<center>

Good Luck,
Mike

Thanks - I applied your fix to the contact page but I don't think it's
working. I have also noticed that when I refresh the pages it fixes itself
but when I click each link for the first time I get the space. really
strange. CSS is the way to go.

mscir

TDahl wrote:

Thanks - I applied your fix to the contact page but I don't think it's
working. I have also noticed that when I refresh the pages it fixes itself
but when I click each link for the first time I get the space. really
strange. CSS is the way to go.

You did this:

cellspacing="0" div align="center">

Try this:

<center>
<TABLE class="table1">
</TBODY>
</TABLE>
</center>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Mike

mscir

Mark said:
Is this the CSS version? Or are you suggesting this as an interim
measure while the OP learns CSS? If the latter, then I guess that's fair
enough. If it's the former, though:

align="" is deprecated in favour of CSS.

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

I don't think the OP knows any CSS, so Tableless layouts are probably
not an option for him now. I did want to get the simplest approach to
him, but I definitely need to learn more about CSS myself.

Thanks for your corrections,
Mike

brucie

in post: <
mscir said:
I don't think the OP knows any CSS, so Tableless layouts are probably
not an option for him now.

its the best option for the OP now before they get trapped into the
table way of thinking.