    the same.

    Thanks for any help.

    Timothy
    TDahl, Apr 27, 2004

  2. TDahl

    Nik Coughin Guest

    TDahl wrote:
    > HI.
    >
    > I just finished a site for my lacrosse team and I've noticed that
    > there is extra white space on the far right of the page next to the
    > slide bar on a few of the pages but not on the index page.
    >
    > http://www.rhinolacrosse.com
    >
    > The index page has teh border go to the edge, but on every other page
    > the gray background stops before reaching the side.
    >
    > Any idea why this is happening? the bottom portions of the tables
    > look all the same.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Timothy

    No idea, but it's not there in either Opera or Mozilla. I only see that gap
    in IE.
    Nik Coughin, Apr 27, 2004

  3. TDahl

    TDahl Guest

    "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > TDahl wrote:
    > > HI.
    > >
    > > I just finished a site for my lacrosse team and I've noticed that
    > > there is extra white space on the far right of the page next to the
    > > slide bar on a few of the pages but not on the index page.
    > >
    > > http://www.rhinolacrosse.com
    > >
    > > The index page has teh border go to the edge, but on every other page
    > > the gray background stops before reaching the side.
    > >
    > > Any idea why this is happening? the bottom portions of the tables
    > > look all the same.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.
    > >
    > > Timothy

    > No idea, but it's not there in either Opera or Mozilla. I only see that

    gap
    > in IE.

    Yeah I noticed that too. Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.
    TDahl, Apr 27, 2004
  4. TDahl

    Nik Coughin Guest

    TDahl wrote:
    > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> TDahl wrote:
    >>> The index page has teh border go to the edge, but on every other
    >>> page the gray background stops before reaching the side.

    >> No idea, but it's not there in either Opera or Mozilla. I only see
    >> that gap in IE.

    > Yeah I noticed that too. Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

    You should consider moving away from table-based layouts.

    In the mean time, if you want a kluge of a workaround, set the background
    color of the page to the same grey as in your background image.
    Nik Coughin, Apr 27, 2004
  5. TDahl

    > TDahl wrote:
    > > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> No idea, but it's not there in either Opera or Mozilla. I only see
    > >> that gap in IE.

    > > Yeah I noticed that too. Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

    > You should consider moving away from table-based layouts.
    >
    > In the mean time, if you want a kluge of a workaround, set the background
    > color of the page to the same grey as in your background image.

    What is wrong with table based layouts?? besides the fact I've got some
    errors here? much better than a frame
    TDahl, Apr 27, 2004
  6. TDahl

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Apr 27, 2004
  7. TDahl

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:52:49 GMT, "TDahl" <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

    Then your code is probably no good. If something works in IE but not
    other browsers, it's usually IE getting it wrong.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Apr 27, 2004
  8. TDahl

    Nik Coughin Guest

    TDahl wrote:
    > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> TDahl wrote:
    >>> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah I noticed that too. Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

    >> You should consider moving away from table-based layouts.
    >>
    >> In the mean time, if you want a kluge of a workaround, set the
    >> background color of the page to the same grey as in your background
    >> image.
    >>

    > What is wrong with table based layouts?? besides the fact I've got
    > some errors here? much better than a frame

    Have a look at some of these pages:

    http://tinyurl.com/3crm5

    The regulars have many more links on the topic, perhaps if you asked nicely
    one of them could post them here.

    Learn CSS. Trust me, you'll be glad you did :)

    Have fun, and good luck.
    Nik Coughin, Apr 27, 2004
  9. TDahl

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:21:46 +1200, "Nik Coughin"
    <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> declared in alt.html:

    > The regulars have many more links on the topic, perhaps if you asked nicely
    > one of them could post them here.

    You mean like these?

    css tutorials and other fun 'n giggly css stuff:
    http://www.css.nu/
    http://www.mako4css.com/
    http://www.richinstyle.com/
    http://www.blazonry.com/css/
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/
    http://www.websitetips.com/css/
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/
    http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/indexcss.htm
    http://www.climbtothestars.org/coding/cssbasic/
    http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/index.cfm/css/
    http://www.freewebmastertips.com/php/content.php3?aid=48
    http://www.canit.se/~griffon/web/writing_stylesheets.html
    http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/xhtml2/exerpt/css-4a.html
    http://idm.internet.com/articles/200101/csstutorial1a.html
    http://www.greytower.net/en/archive/articles/tsutsumi.html
    http://www.westciv.com.au/style_master/academy/css_tutorial/
    http://webmonkey.com/authoring/stylesheets/tutorials/tutorial1.html

    layout examples:
    http://www.glish.com/css/
    http://www.csszengarden.com/
    http://www.wannabegirl.org/css/
    http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/
    http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/
    http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
    http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~apple77/columns/
    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
    http://www.htmler.org/tutorials/3/1.html
    http://css.nu/articles/floating-boxes.html
    http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/
    http://www.roguelibrarian.com/lj/index.html
    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts
    http://ecoculture.com/styleguide/r/rollovers.html
    http://thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/index.html
    http://www.webreference.com/authoring/style/sheets/layout/advanced/

    rounded corners:
    http://www.albin.net/CSS/roundedCorners/
    http://www.webweaver.org/dan/css/corners/
    http://www.guyfisher.com/builder/workshop/css/corners/

    slants: http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/slantinfo.html
    centring: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/www/centre/
    lists: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/taminglists/
    pure css menus: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

    master compatibility charts:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/css2tests/intro.html
    http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html
    http://macedition.com/cb/resources/abridgedcsssupport.html
    old:
    http://www.immix.net/html/CSSGuide.htm
    http://devedge.netscape.com/library/xref/2003/css-support/

    hiding CSS from crappy browsers:
    http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
    http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/trick-hide.html
    http://www.w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/

    css checkers:
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/

    cascading style sheets, level 1 specification
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1.html
    cascading style sheets, level 2 specification
    http://www.w3.org/tr/rec-css2/cover.html
    cascading style sheets, level 2 revision 1 working draft
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/

    (thanks brucie)

    Mark Parnell, Apr 27, 2004
  10. TDahl

    mscir Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:52:49 GMT, "TDahl" <>
    > declared in alt.html:
    >
    >>Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

    > Then your code is probably no good. If something works in IE but not
    > other browsers, it's usually IE getting it wrong.

    I would recommend using CSS to format your pages. Maybe try this to fix
    the white space, basically I moved the table style into the head section
    and added border-collapse. Also center the table with a div:

    <head>
    ..table1 {
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
    border: 0;
    cellspacing: 0;
    cellpadding: 0;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    }
    </HEAD>

    <center>

    Good Luck,
    Mike
    mscir, Apr 27, 2004
  11. TDahl

    TDahl Guest

    "mscir" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    > > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:52:49 GMT, "TDahl" <>
    > > declared in alt.html:
    > >
    > >>Usually IE doesn't give me any problems.

    > > Then your code is probably no good. If something works in IE but not
    > > other browsers, it's usually IE getting it wrong.

    > I would recommend using CSS to format your pages. Maybe try this to fix
    > the white space, basically I moved the table style into the head section
    > and added border-collapse. Also center the table with a div:
    >
    > <head>
    > .table1 {
    > width: 100%;
    > height: 100%;
    > border: 0;
    > cellspacing: 0;
    > cellpadding: 0;
    > border-collapse: collapse;
    > }
    > </HEAD>

    > <center>
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > Mike

    Thanks - I applied your fix to the contact page but I don't think it's
    working. I have also noticed that when I refresh the pages it fixes itself
    but when I click each link for the first time I get the space. really
    strange. CSS is the way to go.
    TDahl, Apr 27, 2004
  12. TDahl

    mscir Guest

    TDahl wrote:

    <snip>
    > Thanks - I applied your fix to the contact page but I don't think it's
    > working. I have also noticed that when I refresh the pages it fixes itself
    > but when I click each link for the first time I get the space. really
    > strange. CSS is the way to go.

    You did this:

    cellspacing="0" div align="center">

    Try this:

    <center>
    <TABLE class="table1">
    </TBODY>
    </TABLE>
    </center>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    Mike
    mscir, Apr 27, 2004
  13. TDahl

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:29:27 -0700, mscir
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Try this:

    Is this the CSS version? Or are you suggesting this as an interim
    measure while the OP learns CSS? If the latter, then I guess that's fair
    enough. If it's the former, though:

    align="" is deprecated in favour of CSS.

    > <center>

    The <center> element is deprecated in favour of CSS.

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    Mark Parnell, Apr 27, 2004
  14. TDahl

    mscir Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    >mscir wrote:
    >>Try this:

    > Is this the CSS version? Or are you suggesting this as an interim
    > measure while the OP learns CSS? If the latter, then I guess that's fair
    > enough. If it's the former, though:

    > align="" is deprecated in favour of CSS.
    >
    >> <center>

    > The <center> element is deprecated in favour of CSS.
    >
    >><TABLE class="table1">

    > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    I don't think the OP knows any CSS, so Tableless layouts are probably
    not an option for him now. I did want to get the simplest approach to
    him, but I definitely need to learn more about CSS myself.

    Thanks for your corrections,
    Mike
    mscir, Apr 27, 2004
  15. TDahl

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    mscir <> said:

    > I don't think the OP knows any CSS, so Tableless layouts are probably
    > not an option for him now.

    its the best option for the OP now before they get trapped into the
    table way of thinking.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Apr 27, 2004
  16. TDahl

    Karl Groves Guest

    "TDahl" <> wrote in message
    > HI.
    >
    > I just finished a site for my lacrosse team and I've noticed that there is
    > extra white space on the far right of the page next to the slide bar on a
    > few of the pages but not on the index page.

    What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
    http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Apr 27, 2004