    to know what all the excitement is about. I feel like I'm missing
    something...

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 31, 2008

  2. Jeff

    mrcakey Guest

    "Jeff" <jeff@spam_me_not.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been busy hacking my way through my to do list and have come to
    > writing an interactive help menu. I thought I'd use Ajax here in place of
    > a popup window. I really dislike popups.
    >
    > Now, I can think of a handfull of uses for Ajax but since it operates in
    > the background I'm not seeing much of it the real world.
    >
    > Who is using ajax in their work or using sites that use it? I'd like to
    > know what all the excitement is about. I feel like I'm missing
    > something...

    Google maps?

    +mrcakey

    mrcakey, Jan 31, 2008

  3. Jeff

    Mango Guest

    I currently make my living with AJAX, so you'll get some excitement from
    me :)

    Most of my life I've been fairly anti-JavaScript...for the simple reason
    that I want my sites to be as accessible as possible...and there's STILL
    the odd hit we get from someone with Netscape 4 or even 3. So even now,
    on public websites at least, I use Javascript only when necessary.

    My anti-JavaScriptness changed when I got given a project about two
    years ago. "Write a program to keep track of our company's customers,
    let staff make changes to name/address details, and have it accept
    credit cards to act as a POS if a customer wants to buy something."

    The company in question had relatively decent computer equipment, all
    running Windows with Firefox/IE...a perfect situation in which to use
    all the JavaScript tricks I'd had hidden away. Here are the advantages
    to my program:

    - It's just as usable and responsive as a desktop application and in
    some cases is faster due to having a powerful web server.
    - It's easily scalable. If they get a new employee, all they need is a
    computer with internet access. There's no special software to install.
    And if I wish to make an upgrade, I need only do it on the server.
    - Since the application is online, remote access is a non-issue.
    Employees may work from home or a branch office.
    - It's inexpensive to maintain. My program currently runs off a shared
    hosting server that they pay $7/month for. Of course, it could just as
    easily run off a setup with a dedicated database server, and
    load-balanced web servers.
    - Unlimited employees, one credit card processing account.
    - Uses industry-standard database such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.

    I don't agree with some who say that webapps are going to replace
    desktop applications. For instance, I refuse to use webmail. But,
    webapps definitely made the most sense for the kind of projects I do.

    Hope my point of view helps :)

    -Mango

    Mango, Feb 1, 2008
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Mango wrote:
    > I currently make my living with AJAX, so you'll get some excitement from
    > me :)
    >
    > Most of my life I've been fairly anti-JavaScript...for the simple reason
    > that I want my sites to be as accessible as possible...and there's STILL
    > the odd hit we get from someone with Netscape 4 or even 3. So even now,
    > on public websites at least, I use Javascript only when necessary.

    It's been public or at least back end web maintenance issues I've been
    interested in. But it's obvious that amongst the general populace that
    javascript is widely left on. I hadn't realized google maps was AJAX and
    I suppose all those chat support windows are also.

    > My anti-JavaScriptness changed when I got given a project about two
    > years ago. "Write a program to keep track of our company's customers,
    > let staff make changes to name/address details, and have it accept
    > credit cards to act as a POS if a customer wants to buy something."
    >
    > The company in question had relatively decent computer equipment, all
    > running Windows with Firefox/IE...a perfect situation in which to use
    > all the JavaScript tricks I'd had hidden away. Here are the advantages
    > to my program:
    >
    > - It's just as usable and responsive as a desktop application and in
    > some cases is faster due to having a powerful web server.
    > - It's easily scalable. If they get a new employee, all they need is a
    > computer with internet access. There's no special software to install.
    > And if I wish to make an upgrade, I need only do it on the server.

    I can really see how database type apps really benefit from this. And
    that you are running this off shared hosting really knocks the socks off
    of running a citrix server.

    I see that there a number of AJAX libraries. What do they have to offer?

    > - Since the application is online, remote access is a non-issue.
    > Employees may work from home or a branch office.
    > - It's inexpensive to maintain. My program currently runs off a shared
    > hosting server that they pay $7/month for. Of course, it could just as
    > easily run off a setup with a dedicated database server, and
    > load-balanced web servers.
    > - Unlimited employees, one credit card processing account.
    > - Uses industry-standard database such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.
    >
    > I don't agree with some who say that webapps are going to replace
    > desktop applications. For instance, I refuse to use webmail.

    Yeah!

    But,
    > webapps definitely made the most sense for the kind of projects I do.
    >
    > Hope my point of view helps :)

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Jeff, Feb 1, 2008
  5. On Jan 31, 7:20 pm, Mango <> wrote:
    > I currently make my living with AJAX, so you'll get some excitement from
    > me :)

    There are so many cool technologies out there that open huge doors on
    the web. Of course the neigh sayers poo-poo everything that isn't
    completely accessible to every human on the planet. But I can hardly
    hear them as I am driving to the bank to cash another check.

    > I don't agree with some who say that webapps are going to replace
    > desktop applications. For instance, I refuse to use webmail.

    No, they will never take over. But I find it interesting about web
    mail. It is one of my favorite web applications. (Of course no one
    has done it right yet. Close, but no cigar)

    Travis Newbury, Feb 1, 2008
  6. Jeff

    Bergamot Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 7:20 pm, Mango <> wrote:
    >
    >> I refuse to use webmail.

    > I find it interesting about web
    > mail. It is one of my favorite web applications. (Of course no one
    > has done it right yet. Close, but no cigar)

    I loathe web mail. Every one I've tried is slow and clumsy and in no way
    better than using a real mail client, even <gasp> OE. I'm curious who,
    in your opinion, has it "close".

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Feb 1, 2008
  7. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Bergamot <>
    writing in news::

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >> On Jan 31, 7:20 pm, Mango <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I refuse to use webmail.

    >> I find it interesting about web
    >> mail. It is one of my favorite web applications. (Of course no one
    >> has done it right yet. Close, but no cigar)

    > I loathe web mail. Every one I've tried is slow and clumsy and in no

    way
    > better than using a real mail client, even <gasp> OE. I'm curious who,
    > in your opinion, has it "close".

    I have had Yahoo web mail since 1999. I have always used an email
    client (Pegusus mail). Last year, IIRC, Yahoo (webmail) switched over
    to a new interface, something to make it "easier" to do mail. It's
    horrible, and I have stayed with Classic. Everyone I know who has tried
    the new interface switched back to the old one right away.

    The thing I find interesting is how many people I know, if I say, "how
    do you get your mail?", they point to the big E on their desktop and go
    to Yahoo. Of course, these are all people who had BabyBell accounts
    before they were swallowed up by Momma again, before the Baby got in bed
    with Yahoo.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 1, 2008
  8. Jeff

    Mango Guest

    Bergamot wrote:
    > I loathe web mail. Every one I've tried is slow and clumsy and in no way
    > better than using a real mail client, even <gasp> OE. I'm curious who,
    > in your opinion, has it "close".

    Zimbra is, so far, the best I've seen. When I tried it, you couldn't
    set multiple identities. (I use the same email client for work and
    personal email.) Other than that, it's a great little app.

    http://www.zimbra.com/products/

    Mango, Feb 1, 2008
  9. Jeff

    Mango Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > I see that there a number of AJAX libraries. What do they have to offer?

    I dunno. I like to write EVERY line of code myself. I'm obsessive that
    way. Having said that, here's the function that I tend to use often.

    http://www.toao.net/15/ajax-communicate-function/

    It's fairly well commented, so even if you don't end up using it, you
    should be able to find some good examples.

    -Mango

    Mango, Feb 1, 2008