    Thanks!

    Best Regards,
    Thomas Che
    Thomas Qi, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Thomas Qi

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Thomas Qi wrote:
    > Hi, All
    > I am reading the book: Java Persistence with Hibernate(Nov.2006).
    > The source code should be downloaded on http://www.manning.com/bauer2
    > But, I can't visit it. Now, I am in China.
    > Who can help me download it? and send it to my mailbox.
    > My mail is:
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Thomas Che

    I'd write to Manning and ask them.

    Alex Hunsley, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Thomas Qi wrote:
    > Hi, All
    > I am reading the book: Java Persistence with Hibernate(Nov.2006).
    > The source code should be downloaded on http://www.manning.com/bauer2
    > But, I can't visit it. Now, I am in China.

    Why not?
    Does the outgoing connection (your ISP) block that site?
    Or is it that that site blocks connections from China?
    Does the download have a 'pop-up' asking you to
    confirm your *not* from China?

    > Who can help me download it?

    That link quikly leads to here..
    <http://www.hibernate.org/400.html>
    Which mentions three Zip files down the bottom of the
    page that come to ..56 Megabytes!
    Crap, no way! To download things of that size, I would
    generally use a local computer store, as that download
    would use up half of an entire month's usage limit for my
    home account!

    OTOH, if you can clear up some of the questions above,
    maybe we can find ways to help you out..

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Thomas Qi

    Thomas Qi Guest

    Thomas Qi, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Thomas Qi wrote:
    > I am downloading the code "Getting Started - Hello World" from
    > http://www.hibernate.org/400.html
    > Is it all the code of the book?

    Ummm... I do not know*.

    I had never heard of the book (link, *or* source code)
    before you mentioned it! I simply followed the link you
    put (which saved us all time, by the way - good thinking)
    then followed the link to 'source/download' and read
    the other page.

    * ..but the comments in the download page - and file
    sizes, suggest 'yes'.

    > yes, I can't visit http://www.manning.com/bauer2 in China, I think it's
    > ISP's problem. :(

    Odd.. maybe, maybe not (I am not convinced it
    is an ISP problem, as opposed to something on
    that first page which might be a problem for your
    browser, but there are not enough details to know,
    and this is not the group to be discussing 'connection
    problems' in general you might try following any 'contact'
    link off the download page, and if you can get a
    'form contact' page - take the problem up with the
    site administrators).

    But then - if you are successfully at the download
    page and currently downloading source OK,
    it seems the immediate problem is solved.

    > thanks!

    You are welcome.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 18, 2006
  6. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Thomas Qi wrote:
    > > I am downloading the code "Getting Started - Hello World" from
    > > http://www.hibernate.org/400.html

    > > yes, I can't visit http://www.manning.com/bauer2 in China, I think it's
    > > ISP's problem. :(

    > Odd.. maybe, maybe not (I am not convinced it
    > is an ISP problem, ....you might try following any 'contact'
    > link off the download page, and if you can get a
    > 'form contact' page - take the problem up with the
    > site administrators).

    Oh - hold on a second! I did not realise the first page led
    me to a *diferent* *site*. Please do not bother telling the
    people at the hibernate site that manning's site does not
    work for you - I suspect they will not care (silly grin).

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 18, 2006
  7. Thomas Qi

    Jeff Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > Thomas Qi wrote:
    > > > I am downloading the code "Getting Started - Hello World" from
    > > > http://www.hibernate.org/400.html

    > > > yes, I can't visit http://www.manning.com/bauer2 in China, I think it's
    > > > ISP's problem. :(

    > > Odd.. maybe, maybe not (I am not convinced it
    > > is an ISP problem, ....you might try following any 'contact'
    > > link off the download page, and if you can get a
    > > 'form contact' page - take the problem up with the
    > > site administrators).

    > Oh - hold on a second! I did not realise the first page led
    > me to a *diferent* *site*. Please do not bother telling the
    > people at the hibernate site that manning's site does not
    > work for you - I suspect they will not care (silly grin).
    >
    > Andrew T.

    This is China we are talking about, and they do limit what websites the
    population can see. Sort of like those site blockers you can put on
    your computer so the kids don't see porn. Let me know off line if you
    are still having problems, and if you can see my site at
    www.smallsyssoft.com. We may be able to work something out, but you
    should make sure you aren't going to get into trouble with your
    government before going to forbidden sites.
    Jeff, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Thomas Qi

    Thomas Qi Guest

    > > Oh - hold on a second! I did not realise the first page led
    > > me to a *diferent* *site*. Please do not bother telling the
    > > people at the hibernate site that manning's site does not
    > > work for you - I suspect they will not care (silly grin).

    thanks to your advice, it maybe a good idea.
    hee, :)

    > This is China we are talking about, and they do limit what websites the
    > population can see. Sort of like those site blockers you can put on
    > your computer so the kids don't see porn. Let me know off line if you
    > are still having problems, and if you can see my site at
    > www.smallsyssoft.com. We may be able to work something out, but you
    > should make sure you aren't going to get into trouble with your
    > government before going to forbidden sites.

    I can visit your site http://www.smallsyssoft.com, it looks good!
    then, I don't know why we can't visit http://www.manning.com/bauer2, it
    maybe fine some times later. :)
    thanks!

    Best Regards,
    Thomas Che
    Thomas Qi, Dec 18, 2006
  9. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > That link quikly leads to here..
    > <http://www.hibernate.org/400.html>
    > Which mentions three Zip files down the bottom of the
    > page that come to ..56 Megabytes!
    > Crap, no way! To download things of that size, I would
    > generally use a local computer store, as that download
    > would use up half of an entire month's usage limit for my
    > home account!

    You have a crappy internet provider then. (Wireless? Verizon? Both?!) I
    have 60GB (that's GB, not MB) a month transfer with the local cable
    monopoly here. I've never hit it.

    I'd seriously consider getting a better provider (even if it means
    moving), since JDKs are getting up to around 56MB, the API doc zips are
    getting up to around 56MB, and even the JREs are getting to exceed 20MB.
    Programming in Java and having a severely throttled network connection
    (or worse, dialup) just aren't very compatible nowadays. :)
    John Ersatznom, Dec 18, 2006
  10. John Ersatznom wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > That link quikly leads to here..
    > > <http://www.hibernate.org/400.html>
    > > Which mentions three Zip files down the bottom of the
    > > page that come to ..56 Megabytes!
    > > Crap, no way! To download things of that size, I would
    > > generally use a local computer store, as that download
    > > would use up half of an entire month's usage limit for my
    > > home account!

    > You have a crappy internet provider then. (Wireless?

    Huh? Is that a brand/ISP or type?

    > Verizon?

    Huh? Do they operate in Australia?

    ( and most importantly, do either of these provide
    the ..60 Gig for $32.95 a month ;)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 18, 2006
  11. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >>You have a crappy internet provider then. (Wireless?

    > Huh? Is that a brand/ISP or type?

    *does double take* you've never heard of wireless internet?

    >>Verizon?

    > Huh? Do they operate in Australia?

    Haven't a clue, but if not, count your lucky stars.

    > ( and most importantly, do either of these provide
    > the ..60 Gig for $32.95 a month ;)

    No, but my local cable company provides 60 gigs monthly transfer limit
    and 5Mbps up, 128K down for around $40-50 a month (USD). I'm given to
    understand these figures are fairly typical for broadband throughout
    North America. Elsewhere, YMMV, but if things are substantially shoddier
    than this at every single provider in your area, you might want to think
    about moving out of kangaroo country entirely. Broadband penetration,
    speed, price, and competition are supposedly best in Europe, so you
    might get lower rates still there than in North America.
    John Ersatznom, Dec 18, 2006
  12. John Ersatznom wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >>> You have a crappy internet provider then. (Wireless?

    >> Huh? Is that a brand/ISP or type?

    > *does double take* you've never heard of wireless internet?
    >
    >>> Verizon?

    >> Huh? Do they operate in Australia?

    > Haven't a clue, but if not, count your lucky stars.
    >
    >> ( and most importantly, do either of these provide
    >> the ..60 Gig for $32.95 a month ;)

    > No, but my local cable company provides 60 gigs monthly transfer limit
    > and 5Mbps up, 128K down for around $40-50 a month (USD). I'm given to

    I think you mean 5Mbps down (in the direction of the provider to
    customer hence the term "download") and 128Kbps up. I have TimeWarner
    (cable modem) and get 6Mbps down and I think 512Kbps up for $50/month
    (USD). No monthly limit but I've done 20 or 30 gigs in a month and they
    haven't said anything. I do that much maybe 2 times a year and haven't
    had a complaint yet.

    Brandon McCombs, Dec 19, 2006
  13. Brandon McCombs wrote:
    >> No, but my local cable company provides 60 gigs monthly transfer limit
    >> and 5Mbps up, 128K down for around $40-50 a month (USD). I'm given to

    > I think you mean 5Mbps down and 128Kbps up.

    Normally I'd agree, but I'm currently on top of the world after beating
    a fairly nasty roguelike for the 5th consecutive time. ;)
    John Ersatznom, Dec 19, 2006
  14. Thomas Qi

    Jeff Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > John Ersatznom wrote:
    > > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > > That link quikly leads to here..
    > > > <http://www.hibernate.org/400.html>
    > > > Which mentions three Zip files down the bottom of the
    > > > page that come to ..56 Megabytes!
    > > > Crap, no way! To download things of that size, I would
    > > > generally use a local computer store, as that download
    > > > would use up half of an entire month's usage limit for my
    > > > home account!

    > > You have a crappy internet provider then. (Wireless?

    > Huh? Is that a brand/ISP or type?
    >
    > > Verizon?

    > Huh? Do they operate in Australia?
    >
    > ( and most importantly, do either of these provide
    > the ..60 Gig for $32.95 a month ;)
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Yeah, but it took me only 3 minutes to download the files and another 3
    to send them to him. 56 Meg (not gig) really isn't that bad these
    days...
    /js
    Jeff, Dec 21, 2006