who can help me download the source code?

Thomas Qi

Hi, All
I am reading the book: Java Persistence with Hibernate(Nov.2006).
The source code should be downloaded on http://www.manning.com/bauer2
But, I can't visit it. Now, I am in China.
Who can help me download it? and send it to my mailbox.
My mail is: (e-mail address removed)
Thanks!

Best Regards,
Thomas Che

Alex Hunsley

Thomas said:
Hi, All
I am reading the book: Java Persistence with Hibernate(Nov.2006).
The source code should be downloaded on http://www.manning.com/bauer2
But, I can't visit it. Now, I am in China.
Who can help me download it? and send it to my mailbox.
My mail is: (e-mail address removed)
Thanks!

Best Regards,
Thomas Che

I'd write to Manning and ask them.

Andrew Thompson

Thomas said:
Hi, All
I am reading the book: Java Persistence with Hibernate(Nov.2006).
The source code should be downloaded on http://www.manning.com/bauer2
But, I can't visit it. Now, I am in China.

Why not?
Does the outgoing connection (your ISP) block that site?
Or is it that that site blocks connections from China?
Does the download have a 'pop-up' asking you to
confirm your *not* from China?
Who can help me download it?

That link quikly leads to here..
<http://www.hibernate.org/400.html>
Which mentions three Zip files down the bottom of the
page that come to ..56 Megabytes!
Crap, no way! To download things of that size, I would
generally use a local computer store, as that download
would use up half of an entire month's usage limit for my
home account!

OTOH, if you can clear up some of the questions above,
maybe we can find ways to help you out..

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

Thomas Qi wrote:
I am downloading the code "Getting Started - Hello World" from
http://www.hibernate.org/400.html
Is it all the code of the book?

Ummm... I do not know*.

I had never heard of the book (link, *or* source code)
before you mentioned it! I simply followed the link you
put (which saved us all time, by the way - good thinking)
then followed the link to 'source/download' and read
the other page.

* ..but the comments in the download page - and file
sizes, suggest 'yes'.
yes, I can't visit http://www.manning.com/bauer2 in China, I think it's
ISP's problem. :(

Odd.. maybe, maybe not (I am not convinced it
is an ISP problem, as opposed to something on
that first page which might be a problem for your
browser, but there are not enough details to know,
and this is not the group to be discussing 'connection
problems' in general you might try following any 'contact'
link off the download page, and if you can get a
'form contact' page - take the problem up with the
site administrators).

But then - if you are successfully at the download
page and currently downloading source OK,
it seems the immediate problem is solved.

You are welcome.

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

Andrew said:
Thomas Qi wrote:

Odd.. maybe, maybe not (I am not convinced it
is an ISP problem, ....you might try following any 'contact'
link off the download page, and if you can get a
'form contact' page - take the problem up with the
site administrators).

Oh - hold on a second! I did not realise the first page led
me to a *diferent* *site*. Please do not bother telling the
people at the hibernate site that manning's site does not
work for you - I suspect they will not care (silly grin).

Andrew T.

Jeff

Andrew said:
Oh - hold on a second! I did not realise the first page led
me to a *diferent* *site*. Please do not bother telling the
people at the hibernate site that manning's site does not
work for you - I suspect they will not care (silly grin).

Andrew T.

This is China we are talking about, and they do limit what websites the
population can see. Sort of like those site blockers you can put on
your computer so the kids don't see porn. Let me know off line if you
are still having problems, and if you can see my site at
www.smallsyssoft.com. We may be able to work something out, but you
should make sure you aren't going to get into trouble with your
government before going to forbidden sites.

Thomas Qi

Oh - hold on a second! I did not realise the first page ledthanks to your advice, it maybe a good idea.
hee, :)

This is China we are talking about, and they do limit what websites the
population can see. Sort of like those site blockers you can put on
your computer so the kids don't see porn. Let me know off line if you
are still having problems, and if you can see my site at
www.smallsyssoft.com. We may be able to work something out, but you
should make sure you aren't going to get into trouble with your
government before going to forbidden sites.
I can visit your site http://www.smallsyssoft.com, it looks good!
then, I don't know why we can't visit http://www.manning.com/bauer2, it
maybe fine some times later. :)
thanks!

Best Regards,
Thomas Che

John Ersatznom

Andrew said:
That link quikly leads to here..
<http://www.hibernate.org/400.html>
Which mentions three Zip files down the bottom of the
page that come to ..56 Megabytes!
Crap, no way! To download things of that size, I would
generally use a local computer store, as that download
would use up half of an entire month's usage limit for my
home account!

You have a crappy internet provider then. (Wireless? Verizon? Both?!) I
have 60GB (that's GB, not MB) a month transfer with the local cable
monopoly here. I've never hit it.

I'd seriously consider getting a better provider (even if it means
moving), since JDKs are getting up to around 56MB, the API doc zips are
getting up to around 56MB, and even the JREs are getting to exceed 20MB.
Programming in Java and having a severely throttled network connection
(or worse, dialup) just aren't very compatible nowadays. :)

Andrew Thompson

John said:
You have a crappy internet provider then. (Wireless?

Huh? Is that a brand/ISP or type?

Huh? Do they operate in Australia?

( and most importantly, do either of these provide
the ..60 Gig for $32.95 a month ;)

Andrew T.

John Ersatznom

Andrew said:
Huh? Is that a brand/ISP or type?

*does double take* you've never heard of wireless internet?
Huh? Do they operate in Australia?

Haven't a clue, but if not, count your lucky stars.
( and most importantly, do either of these provide
the ..60 Gig for $32.95 a month ;)

No, but my local cable company provides 60 gigs monthly transfer limit
and 5Mbps up, 128K down for around $40-50 a month (USD). I'm given to
understand these figures are fairly typical for broadband throughout
North America. Elsewhere, YMMV, but if things are substantially shoddier
than this at every single provider in your area, you might want to think
about moving out of kangaroo country entirely. Broadband penetration,
speed, price, and competition are supposedly best in Europe, so you
might get lower rates still there than in North America.

Brandon McCombs

John said:
*does double take* you've never heard of wireless internet?

Haven't a clue, but if not, count your lucky stars.

No, but my local cable company provides 60 gigs monthly transfer limit
and 5Mbps up, 128K down for around $40-50 a month (USD). I'm given to

I think you mean 5Mbps down (in the direction of the provider to
customer hence the term "download") and 128Kbps up. I have TimeWarner
(cable modem) and get 6Mbps down and I think 512Kbps up for $50/month
(USD). No monthly limit but I've done 20 or 30 gigs in a month and they
haven't said anything. I do that much maybe 2 times a year and haven't
had a complaint yet.

John Ersatznom

Brandon said:
I think you mean 5Mbps down and 128Kbps up.

Normally I'd agree, but I'm currently on top of the world after beating
a fairly nasty roguelike for the 5th consecutive time. ;)

Jeff

Andrew said:
Huh? Is that a brand/ISP or type?

Huh? Do they operate in Australia?

( and most importantly, do either of these provide
the ..60 Gig for $32.95 a month ;)

Andrew T.

Yeah, but it took me only 3 minutes to download the files and another 3
to send them to him. 56 Meg (not gig) really isn't that bad these
days...
/js