who develops ri?

Kristof Bastiaensen

Hi,

I would like to know who maintains currently ri
(the version that comes with Ruby).

I have written an interface for ri from emacs.
To be able to do completion of methods and classes,
I wrote a script in Ruby. The problem is that it
is very dependend on the implementation of ri, and
there doesn't seem to be a consistent interface.
For example on windows the script breaks because some
classes are defined only in the ri-executable script,
(not in the libraries).

I would like to know if there is a good solution for
this problem. One idea would be to have a RiComplete
class in all implementations.
Any suggestions are very welcome.

Regards,
KB

Dave Thomas

I would like to know who maintains currently ri
(the version that comes with Ruby).
Me!

I have written an interface for ri from emacs.
To be able to do completion of methods and classes,
I wrote a script in Ruby. The problem is that it
is very dependend on the implementation of ri, and
there doesn't seem to be a consistent interface.
For example on windows the script breaks because some
classes are defined only in the ri-executable script,
(not in the libraries).

I have no idea what's being distributed in the Window's version, but
there _should_ be just one version of ri, the one in the Ruby source
tree.

Cheers

Dave

Kristof Bastiaensen

I have no idea what's being distributed in the Window's version, but
there _should_ be just one version of ri, the one in the Ruby source
tree.

Ok, thanks. That's good news. I'll just need to find out what happened
in the windows version.

By the way, thanks for the absolutely great book! It's this book that
taught me all about Ruby. Unfortunately it's doesn't seem to be sold here
in Belgium. It's saddening to see whole rows of books in the bookstore
about perl, php, and python, and not a single one of Ruby (which I
personally find superior to the other languages).

Cheers,
KB

Dave Thomas

By the way, thanks for the absolutely great book! It's this book that
taught me all about Ruby. Unfortunately it's doesn't seem to be sold
here
in Belgium. It's saddening to see whole rows of books in the bookstore
about perl, php, and python, and not a single one of Ruby (which I
personally find superior to the other languages).

Thank you.

Hopefully the new Pickaxe will be available globally (and you'll also
be able to order it direct from us).

Cheers

Dave

Laurent Sansonetti

You can order it at www.proxis.be. Het Computerwinkeltje has some ruby
books, but again, you have to order them beforehand. But yeah, there are
few ruby books arround..

The only Ruby book that I could find here in Belgium was the French
translation of "Ruby in a Nutshell" (in the FNAC of Liège)... Very
sad. Ruby definitely deserves more popularity.

Ruben

The only Ruby book that I could find here in Belgium was the French
translation of "Ruby in a Nutshell" (in the FNAC of Liège)... Very
sad. Ruby definitely deserves more popularity.

I've seen a Ruby book here in the FNAC in Leuven too (an English one),
can't remember which one it was, though. But normally, when i need a
programming book, i order it from www.amazon.co.uk. I prefer English
books for programming (instead of translations), and they tend to be
cheaper at Amazon, certainly if you make sure you can order several
things at once to lower the "per-piece-shipping-cost".

But i bought my copy of "Programming Ruby" somewhere in a bookshop in
Berlin, when i was there at a conference. I had heard/read about Ruby
before, and i wanted to know more about it, and that book seemed
pretty good. (and turned out to actually be really good!)

Ruben

Richard Dale

It's great to hear about all this ruby enthusiasm in Belgium. I went to the
FOSDEM meeting there this year and there were some good ruby talks. Maybe
someone could bring along some ruby books like the new Pickaxe and Ruby Way
to sell there next year, as well as any O'Reilly rubies..

-- Richard