Who gets higher salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Sanny

I have little experience in both Java and C++. I have designed a few
programs in both languages.

I get a lot confused as many times I use Java code in C++ and C++ code
in Java.

So I have descided to only work in one Language.

Both C++ and Java has their importance.

What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
among them.

Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer? What
else should I learn for a good Career. Should I learn C# which is very
easy?

How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a C++ Expert.

and How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a Java Expert.

Experts in fields, Please Advice.

Bye
Sanny.

Robert Klemme

What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

IMHO this is the wrong question. You can achieve mastery in any of
those languages and for any of those there are well paid jobs. If
you're in the market for money only though, I doubt you have the proper
motivation to achieve mastery.
Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
among them.

There is no "best" language. Every tool has its strengths and
weaknesses. The question would be "best for what?"
Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

You must imagine that the community as a form of crystal ball. I am
afraid I have to inform you that this is not the case.
What else should I learn for a good Career.

Define "good career".
Should I learn C# which is very easy?

Without knowing C# too much I'd say this is a misconception. C# has a
similar level of complexity at least as Java because it is object
oriented and has a standard library of significant size AFAIK.

Note also that knowing the syntax, constructs and library of a language
not necessarily makes you an expert software developer. You also have
to be aware of all sorts of design level practices that are quite
independent of programming languages.
How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a C++ Expert.

and How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a Java Expert.

You would at least have to provide the bit of information in which
region(s) you are willing to work.

Cheers

robert

James Kanze

What language should I master. I just want to know who gets
higher salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Neither. The commercial person who sells the final product
makes the most money.
Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose
the best among them.

There is no "best", and if learning both creates confusions, you
should probably look for a different profession; I regularly use
four or five different languages (C++, Java, AWK, Unix
shell...).

Joshua Cranmer

Sanny said:
I get a lot confused as many times I use Java code in C++ and C++ code
in Java.

So I have descided to only work in one Language.

Poor choice. Most employers would rather employ the programmer who can
utilize multiple programming languages over one who will choose to use
but a single language.
What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Any difference in salary between the two would be dwarfed by other
factors, such as seniority, etc. In other words, statistically speaking,
neither.

If you want to try for the big bucks, I hear COBOL is coming back in vogue.
Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
among them.

There is no "best" language. For the most part, languages are
fundamentally incomparable. Every single programming language has its
strengths and weaknesses; the goal is to match up a programming language
to the task.
Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer? What
else should I learn for a good Career. Should I learn C# which is very
easy?

Ideally, you should be well-rounded as a programmer. This means you
should be able to code in C/C++ and Java. You'll probably want some
functional languages under your belt; Python and Perl are two good
dynamic programming languages to tackle, although Ruby seems to be the
next "hip" language. The list goes on.
Experts in fields, Please Advice.

Another piece of advice would be to brush up on rules of punctuation,
capitalization, and grammar in general.

Nico

Sanny said:
I just want to know who gets higher
salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

None of them.
Programmer is the lowest level in the hierarchy of an IS
In Europe, a baker has a better salary...

Lew

Joshua said:
Poor choice. Most employers would rather employ the programmer who can
utilize multiple programming languages over one who will choose to use
but a single language.

Real programmers can do FORTRAN programming in any language.

Joshua said:
Any difference in salary between the two would be dwarfed by other
factors, such as seniority, etc.

Literacy, ...
In other words, statistically speaking, neither.

Do you have evidence for those statistics?
If you want to try for the big bucks, I hear COBOL is coming back in vogue.

Never went out of vogue.

If you are applying for jobs where English is a relevant skill, you will
improve your earning power by increasing your mastery of that language.

Non-programming skills often count for more than one's technical abilities
when climbing the corporate rungs.

Some might look at your random capitalization of different words in English
and wonder if you are sensitive to case sensitivity in Java. It is a shame,
perhaps, that your command of English might block someone's ability to
perceive your command of programming, but that is a reality in the work world.

Joshua said:
There is no "best" language. For the most part, languages are
fundamentally incomparable. Every single programming language has its
strengths and weaknesses; the goal is to match up a programming language
to the task.

Which is exactly what makes Java the best programming language.

;-) for those who insist on explicit irony markers.

You should, but it isn't easy.

Joshua said:
Another piece of advice would be to brush up on rules of punctuation,
capitalization, and grammar in general.

This is not parochialism, but a necessity when one is forced to communicate in
any language. It is vitally necessary in written communications; face to
face, people will forgive accents and unusual constructions, but in written
communication there is little tolerance for fundamental errors, and less
reason for there to be any.

Arved Sandstrom

Joshua Cranmer said:
Poor choice. Most employers would rather employ the programmer who can
utilize multiple programming languages over one who will choose to use but
a single language.

Any difference in salary between the two would be dwarfed by other
factors, such as seniority, etc. In other words, statistically speaking,
neither.
[ SNIP ]

I'd have to agree. Once you factor out the general state of the economy
(i.e. are IT employers hurting for developers or is there a surfeit of
developers?) and the effects of geography (i.e. your salary is influenced
very heavily by where you live), I can't think of a market I've been in
where I sensed that developers in one of the following groups - Java/J2EE,
C#/.NET, or C/C++ - were paid significantly more or less than their peers in
the other two.

As an individual, _who_ you work for is the other major factor besides
seniority in determining compensation. Are you a consultant/contract
programmer? Do you work as an employee of a private software house? Or do
you work for the government?

Seniority and ability are intertwined, and feature in varying proportions as
factors in determining salary depending on who you work for.

AHS

Roedy Green

What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

To me that would be well down on my list of considerations. I ask
questions like this:

1. which language do I enjoy coding more? What counts is how much I
enjoy my life. I spend a LOT of it coding.

2. which language will let me tackle more interesting projects. For
than reason COBOL is out. I have no interested in maintaining payroll
programs. If I wanted to make money, I would learn the arcane art of
Unix system administration.

3. Which language will leave my options open where I work. I don't
want to get stuck in some place I hate. I want to be able to go
anywhere. Which language is become more accepted. Which are becoming
obsolete?

4. Which languages offer work from home?

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Arne Vajhøj

Sanny said:
I have little experience in both Java and C++. I have designed a few
programs in both languages.

I get a lot confused as many times I use Java code in C++ and C++ code
in Java.

So I have descided to only work in one Language.

Both C++ and Java has their importance.

What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
among them.

Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer? What
else should I learn for a good Career. Should I learn C# which is very
easy?

How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a C++ Expert.

and How much max salary per Annum I can get If I become a Java Expert.

Salary depends on where work, your experience and your general
programming skills (not language and technology specific).

The languages and technologies you know should have much less
impact on salary level.

You should be aware that tools, languages and technologies comes
and goes, so over a life long career you will have to work
with multiples of those no matter what.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Peter said:
C++ is a somewhat lower-level language, while at the same time offers in
some ways much more complex behaviors than Java. Because of that, I'd
recommend learning Java first, just because it's likely to be somewhat
easier.

It is much easier to learn Java than C++ as first language.

But it is also much easier to go C++ -> Java than Java -> C++.

So I am not convinced that learning Java first and C++ later
is in total easier than learning C++ first and Java later.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Joshua said:
Poor choice. Most employers would rather employ the programmer who can
utilize multiple programming languages over one who will choose to use
but a single language.

I think the bad thing of focusing on only one language is the
lack of perspective. Learning multiple languages gives a much
better perspective on things.

Job wise I think the majority either hires for a specific skill set
or hire someone they think is bright enough to learn what is needed.
Too few managers care about whether the new hire will be easy to
move to another department/project that uses another language and
what will happen in 5 or 10 years when the company changes
technology.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
To me that would be well down on my list of considerations. I ask
questions like this:

1. which language do I enjoy coding more? What counts is how much I
enjoy my life. I spend a LOT of it coding.

2. which language will let me tackle more interesting projects. For
than reason COBOL is out. I have no interested in maintaining payroll
programs.

I am convinced that there are interesting projects in any language.
If I wanted to make money, I would learn the arcane art of
Unix system administration.

I am not sure Unix sys admin is arcane.
3. Which language will leave my options open where I work. I don't
want to get stuck in some place I hate. I want to be able to go
anywhere. Which language is become more accepted. Which are becoming
obsolete?

History shows that salaries are usually not bad for languages and
technologies becoming obsolete. Sure demand goes down, but so does
supply.
4. Which languages offer work from home?

Unlikely to be correlated with programming language.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Arne said:
Salary depends on where work, your experience and your general
programming skills (not language and technology specific).

The languages and technologies you know should have much less
impact on salary level.

The only specific skill set that seems to have an
above average salary level is SAP knowledge !

Arne

Joshua Cranmer

Peter said:
I'm not sure of that. I've seen a lot of people get frustrated and
tripped up by differences between the languages when they try to move
from C++ to Java.

From observation of other students in classes (my school's curriculum,
like most, started with Java), the single biggest trouble people had in
trying to learn C/C++ was pointers. Classes never got around to
templates (then again, the introductory courses barely covered generics
and presumably ignored all the new features in Java 5 [1]), so I can't
say how much that would cause people to struggle. I have also
observed--with a different group of people, so the results aren't really
comparable--that some people also tend to struggle with Java's
pass-by-value and how it affects Object references.

To me, it seems like someone going from C++ to Java would be able to
quickly understand that an Object in Java is roughly equivalent to
Object* in C++, more quickly than the people going the other way to
learn pointers. The inequivalence of char[] and String may also snag
some people, but I'm not sure how hard people would find it.
I'm not convinced that there's a clear advantage one way or the other.
I think there will always been room for equivocation, given the vast
variability of programming students.

In other words: The average difference in skill level between learning
Java then C++ and learning C++ then Java is less than the standard
variability in learning the two languages?
But, inasmuch as there may be a measurable difference, I do know which
will get a person programming productively sooner (Java). In additon,
there will still be advantages to learning and using C++ later, but the
fundamental OOP principles will be easier to learn in the context of the
simpler, stricter language than in the more complex, more difficult one.

One theory that has been espoused is to start people off of neither--my
university does the first course in Python and my high school considered
it. I can't speak if it has any benefits, though.

[1] This is speculation since I skipped all introductory CS courses. I
cannot say for certain the content of anything below a Data Structures &
Algorithms course. On the other hand, my observations of classmates are
all going to be for people intent on continuing programming (my school
required the introductory course).

Sherm Pendley

Peter Duniho said:
I've seen a lot of people get frustrated and
tripped up by differences between the languages when they try to move
from C++ to Java.

I think that can be more generalized though - people tend to get
frustrated and tripped up when they move from their first language to
their second. They don't have the breadth of experience they need to
understand the difference between concepts and syntax.

Additional languages beyond that tend to be much easier.

sherm--

Matthias Buelow

Sanny said:
What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

COBOL makes the most, I hear.

Martin Gregorie

Job wise I think the majority either hires for a specific skill set or
hire someone they think is bright enough to learn what is needed. Too
few managers care about whether the new hire will be easy to move to
another department/project that uses another language and what will
happen in 5 or 10 years when the company changes technology.
IME that's nothing to do with the manager who needs the new hire: the
initial hiring task gets given to HR who know nothing about programming
or programming skills but do know how to match acronyms and names on the
manager's skills list with those on a CV. The same applies to recruitment
agencies. The result is that the candidates who get interviewed are
simply those whose CVs get the most hits from what's little more than a
clerical matching exercise.

IOW the manager may know what he wants in the way of transferrable skills
but this gets dropped on the floor by the agency and HR people because
they don't understand IT. The current habit of condensing CVs to one or
two pages and concentrating only on recent experience just exacerbates
the problem.

Arne Vajhøj

Ken said:
I've got to ask.. I've tried this alternative using places like Guru.com
to get jobs and I've found I just can't make any money and the clients
are not the kind of clients you want. They want a lot of work for very
little money.. even work for free in some cases. I want to make my
clients happy, but I need to get paid for my time and this just doesn't
seem to work out well.

How do you get jobs where you get to work from home without having to
charge the same rates a person in Deli will charge.

Well as you have noticed then rentacoder/elance/guru/whatever
is not the place to go.

Find a big company that have found out that office space is
expensive !

Arne

Sanny

I've got to ask.. I've tried this alternative using places like Guru.com
to get jobs and I've found I just can't make any money and the clients
are not the kind of clients you want.  They want a lot of work for very
little money.. even work for free in some cases.  I want to make my
clients happy, but I need to get paid for my time and this just doesn't
seem to work out well.

At these places only small companies or business owners come. And big
company with years work contact developing companies directly.

At http://www.GetClub.com/Experts.php you can tell your expertise and
get work from home work. You only get small orders in such places. As
large work people choose already established companies instead of
giving work to strangers who may spoil the work.

Bye
Sanny