Who gets higher salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Lew

Arne said:
Well as you have noticed then rentacoder/elance/guru/whatever
is not the place to go.

Find a big company that have found out that office space is
expensive !

Or that get incentives from their government(s) to reduce pollution.

I've seen many people get to work from home in large companies. There are
often conditions - one can work on a contract basis rather than directly for
the company, one can coordinate with international teams from disparate time
zones, one can work just part of one's schedule from "home" and part at "the
office". Quite frequently working from "home" means reliably working far more
than forty hours per week, or not reliably working at least forty.

What is the fascination with working from home anyway? I live fifty miles
from my job and still prefer to go to the office to work. Then again, it's a
team environment and interaction with colleagues is an important component of
my work.

A hypothetical job interview:

INTERVIEWER: What sort of work conditions do you favor?

INTERVIEWEE: I prefer to work from home and get paid via direct deposit.

ER: Is that all?

EE: I require a six-figure salary, four weeks leave per year, fully-paid
medical with dental, and tuition reimbursement for my on-line college studies.

ER: How about two weeks annually at the corporate condo in the Mediterranean,
a company-paid Mercedes and an annual bonus of 50% of salary?

EE: You're kidding!

ER: Well, yes, but you started it!

Lew

Matthias said:
COBOL makes the most, I hear.

Computer languages, indeed, computer programming is a minority part of the
value equation on which one's compensation is based. You need to know about
far more than coding to make the big bucks.

One $300/hour consultant I knew, and she was worth every penny, was an expert
on data warehousing, its data architecture, and a particular DMBS product for
data warehousing (Red Brick - very powerful). She had years of experience in
data architecture and administration behind her before she became such a
consultant.

Knowing how, say, an enterprise system comprising multiple nodes hangs
together - mainframes, smaller machines, gateways, yada, yada - hangs
together, and how to get the darn thing to deploy all its queues and beans and
monitoring packages and storage arrays and ... that's where one provides
value. Mere programmers are a dime a dozen.

jason.cipriani

I have little experience in both Java and C++. I have designed a few
programs in both languages.

I get a lot confused as many times I use Java code in C++ and C++ code
in Java.

So I have descided to only work in one Language.

Both C++ and Java has their importance.

What language should I master. I just want to know who gets higher
salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Because Learning both creates confusions So I have to Choose the best
among them.

Whose future is better a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer? What
else should I learn for a good Career. Should I learn C# which is very
easy?

The language is irrelevant. A good programmer will get a higher salary
than a crappy one, or at least a programmer that knows how to put
himself in a good position in the company. Any decent programmer would
be able to use either language without much issue.

JC

Bill

I would award the higher salary to the person who was well-versed in
**software engineering** (and expect them to be "open-minded", as was
suggested in many of the thoughtful posts above).

Matthias Buelow

Bill said:
I would award the higher salary to the person who was well-versed in
**software engineering**

"Software engineering" has its place for some projects in the design
phase but on the whole, (imho) is a terrible buzzword and implies the
wrong things. In the end, (good) software isn't "engineered", like a
bridge, but written, like a book.

Arne Vajhøj

Matthias said:
"Software engineering" has its place for some projects in the design
phase but on the whole, (imho) is a terrible buzzword and implies the
wrong things. In the end, (good) software isn't "engineered", like a
bridge, but written, like a book.

The process of actually writing the code is a very small part
of developing software for large projects.

So if it is 95% engineering and 5% writing the term sounds
fine to me.

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
4 weeks of vacation is a lot in the US.

On top of that, many companies make it difficult to take the vacation you
nominally should get. Various management theories of "earned value" and
"utilization" penalize a worker for taking personal leave, holidays or sick
time. (One friend of mine was told at his job that sick leave was not to be
taken for scheduled doctor visits.) If you do take all the leave to which you
are "entitled", it hurts your performance review and opportunities for
"advancement". Further on top of that acme, many workers are expected to work
50-65 hours per week when not on vacation, and to conference-call in to status
meetings when they are on vacation, particularly if they're salaried.

Exploitative?

Lew

Spoken like someone who is not an engineer, and not like someone who engenders
confidence in their programming skills.

Software engineering has its place in every software project, and that place
is everywhere in the software.

In the beginning, middle and end, good software is engineered, like a bridge
and, arguably, like a well-written book. If it is not well engineered, it's
not going to be good software.

There are sound principles behind sound programming decisions. These
principles come down to providing desired functionality with provable
management of risk of defects or system failures, within budgetary
constraints. Some of the more formally-expressed principles in software
engineering turn out to have the most significant pragmatic relevance, just
like in bridge-building.

"Software engineering", properly applied, is no buzzword at all, but a precise
description of proper software design and construction.

Arne Vajhøj

Martin said:
IME that's nothing to do with the manager who needs the new hire: the
initial hiring task gets given to HR who know nothing about programming
or programming skills but do know how to match acronyms and names on the
manager's skills list with those on a CV. The same applies to recruitment
agencies. The result is that the candidates who get interviewed are
simply those whose CVs get the most hits from what's little more than a
clerical matching exercise.

IOW the manager may know what he wants in the way of transferrable skills
but this gets dropped on the floor by the agency and HR people because
they don't understand IT. The current habit of condensing CVs to one or
two pages and concentrating only on recent experience just exacerbates
the problem.

If the manager puts Foo and Bar on the required skills then the HR
person goes after that. If the manager only puts Foo on the list
because that is what is needed next year, then ...

It is well known that most HR people don't have a clue about
what the skills means. But what skills that goes on the "must have"
and "nice to have" lists are not HR's responsibility. That manager
filling out the forms must accept that responsibility.

Arne

Martin Gregorie

It is well known that most HR people don't have a clue about what the
skills means. But what skills that goes on the "must have" and "nice to
have" lists are not HR's responsibility. That manager filling out the
forms must accept that responsibility.
Err, my point was that an HR-droid may be able to inspection-match a list
of language names or experience numbers, but if what the manager really
wants is somebody who matches the current skill set but in addition
learns fast, e.g. because he knows the environment is about to change,
then he's stuffed no matter what he puts on his letter to HR. They may be
able to handle the current skill set but are quite unlikely to deal
correctly with the learning bit.

Martin Gregorie

"Software engineering", properly applied, is no buzzword at all, but a
precise description of proper software design and construction.
Exactly, and this includes the ability to do a reasonably accurate
costing from the initial requirement spec and to estimate contingency
from the spec quality.

Roedy Green

How do you get jobs where you get to work from home without having to
charge the same rates a person in Deli will charge.

I am not getting anywhere near the work I used to, but previously I
kept myself busy working full time from home.

I offered 40 years experience. A young squirt just out of school
can't solve problems the way I could. He could code to a spec, but he
could not write the specs, write the docs in idiomatic English. He
could not suggest 10 totally different ways to approach a problem. You
need experience to do that.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Roedy Green

How do you get jobs where you get to work from home without having to
charge the same rates a person in Deli will charge.

I used to have a monthly column in a Canada-wide computer paper.
People got to know me through my columns, and when it came time to get
custom coding done, wanted me to handle it, since they "knew" me.

Another way to get work in to work for free for charities. You get
known. People who run charities tend to be widely socially connected.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
"Humanity is conducting an unintended, uncontrolled, globally pervasive experiment
whose ultimate consequences could be second only to global nuclear war."
~ Environment Canada (The Canadian equivalent of the EPA on global warming)

Chris M. Thomasson

Peter Duniho said:
"much" vs "somewhat"...same difference. I agree with either statement.

I'm not sure of that. I've seen a lot of people get frustrated and
tripped up by differences between the languages when they try to move from
C++ to Java.
[...]

I remember one time when a Java programmer thought the following code
snippet was perfectly fine and 100% correct C++:

void foo() {
object* o = new object();
o->do_something();
}

I said, "your code has a memory leak within the `foo' procedure.".

He responded with, "what's a memory leak?".

;^/

Lew

Chris said:
I remember one time when a Java programmer thought the following code
snippet was perfectly fine and 100% correct C++:
void foo() {
object* o = new object();
o->do_something();
}

I said, "your code has a memory leak within the `foo' procedure.".

He responded with, "what's a memory leak?".

Sounds like an ad for Java over C++.

Joshua Cranmer

Chris said:
He responded with, "what's a memory leak?".

public class Foo {
public Foo() {
bitBucket.add(this);
}
private static java.util.LinkedList<?> bitBucket =
new java.util.LinkedList<?>();
}

That's a memory leak (so long as bitBucket is not otherwise impacted by
any code path coming from a public API).