Who gets higher salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Alan Carre

Please excuse out-of-context post:

But would people please stop posting to this thread? Or start a new one and
let this one die out?

My message reader has a mere 1000 message limit so I (and probably many
others) can't see anything beyond this particular thread anymore. There
doesn't seem to be an option to ignore this thread so it will sit there on
the bottom of the page allowing only 30 threads (at present, and
diminishing) to appear in this group.

I can see new messages are being posted to this group by the "new" count on
the left-hand pane but my newsreader (admittedly Outlook Express... what can
I say) won't display them because it has already exceeded it's 1000
message/header limit.

Thank you in advance for your consideration in unblocking this newsgroup.

- Alan Carre

Mike Schilling

Alan said:
Please excuse out-of-context post:

But would people please stop posting to this thread? Or start a new
one and let this one die out?

My message reader has a mere 1000 message limit so I (and probably
many others) can't see anything beyond this particular thread
anymore. There doesn't seem to be an option to ignore this thread so
it will sit there on the bottom of the page allowing only 30 threads
(at present, and diminishing) to appear in this group.

I can see new messages are being posted to this group by the "new"
count on the left-hand pane but my newsreader (admittedly Outlook
Express... what can I say) won't display them because it has already
exceeded it's 1000 message/header limit.

I use OE too (and I agree it sucks) but I don't recognize the behavior
you're describing.

1. The 1000 message limit is how many it will download at one time, not how
many it can display. You can "Get Next 1000 Headers" as often as you like
until they're all downloaded.
2. You can set OE to only display unread messages.
3. If you set OE to "Group Messages By Conversation", you can right-click on
a thread and "Mark Conversation As Read", which effectively erases it (until
now posts are added to it, anyway.)

I'm running a fairly new version (6.00), but none of this has changed for
many years.

Noah Roberts

Alan said:
My message reader has a mere 1000 message limit

Get a better client. Even if people DID respond favorably to your
rather presumptuous request, it wouldn't stop you from missing messages.

so I (and probably many

I very much doubt the problem is as widespread as you seem to think.
I've never even heard of a client so broken as you are describing.

Tom Anderson

My message reader has a mere 1000 message limit so I (and probably many
others) can't see anything beyond this particular thread anymore. There
doesn't seem to be an option to ignore this thread so it will sit there
on the bottom of the page allowing only 30 threads (at present, and
diminishing) to appear in this group.

You need to get a new newsreader.

tom

Lew

Alan said:
My message reader has a mere 1000 message limit so I (and probably many
others) can't see anything beyond this particular thread anymore. There
doesn't seem to be an option to ignore this thread so it will sit there on
the bottom of the page allowing only 30 threads (at present, and
diminishing) to appear in this group.

You should try Thunderbird from Mozilla. It's free, and lets you killfile
individual email address or undesirable threads. AFAIK it has no limit on
number of messages beyond what you choose to set. You are unlikely to get
cooperation from everyone from a plea to stop posting, so your only certain
option is either to filter the trash out of your view or to put up with it.

There are a plethora of newsreaders out there with like capability, really
better than T-Bird's even, so there's no reason to tolerate an inferior interface.

Wesley MacIntosh

Lew said:
You should try Thunderbird from Mozilla. It's free, and lets you
killfile individual email address or undesirable threads. AFAIK it has
no limit on number of messages beyond what you choose to set. You are
unlikely to get cooperation from everyone from a plea to stop posting,
so your only certain option is either to filter the trash out of your
view or to put up with it.

There are a plethora of newsreaders out there with like capability,
really better than T-Bird's even, so there's no reason to tolerate an
inferior interface.

Seconded, and followups set arbitrarily.

To be blunt about it, OE is a piece of sh!t.

Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
programmer motivation and career path

is there a fast track to programming mastery?

without a job in the field or schooling in programming how does one go from being in the dark to being an in demand programmer?

is it possible to just learn a little basic programming on line and then get hired in an entry level position where one could further develop his programming skills?

without someone asking and paying me to learn and write code, what will motivate me to learn these illegible codes? And what code would i write for myself?

how does one get to the point where he knows why he needs to learn code and what he has to do to learn the code?

what is a general inspiration and career path for the programmer?

Last edited: