Who invented Jemmy?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Phlip, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Phlip

    Phlip Guest

    Phlip, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Phlip <> wrote:

    > And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
    > invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...

    There is no *one* inventor of Swing. While Java is an open technology,
    it was developed by a commercial entity (Sun) employing a team of developers.

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steven J Sobol, Aug 4, 2004

  3. "Phlip" <> writes:

    > And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
    > invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...

    Hard to say. JFC/Swing was based on IFC from Netscape; not sure if
    there was a single person "founding" that.

    The Wikipedia entry:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_(Java)

    Note: Swing etc. are just examples of a concept called "light-weight
    components", and it's perfectly possible to make your own framework if
    you like.

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Phlip

    Dave Guest

    In article <cepptq$>,
    "Phlip" <> wrote:

    > Java Engineers:
    >
    > And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
    > invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...

    A friend of mine worked at a company called Lighthouse Design between
    the release of Java 1.0 and the release of Swing 1.0. He was working on
    a Java application which he was unable to discuss at the time. He told
    me that there was a Java Application Framework named Swing, which was in
    development as a sub-project of their application development. In other
    words, they were developing the application using Swing before Swing was
    released. It sounded like Swing was being developed by both SUN and
    Lighthouse.

    The following quote from the April 1997 SunWorld indicates that
    engineers from Netscape and IBM were also involved in the creation of
    Swing 1.0.

    "Sun's work with Netscape will result in the Java Foundation Classes
    (JFC) libraries that will significantly extend the graphical user
    interface (GUI) side of the language. Called the "Swing Set" by Java
    creator James Gosling, the JFCs are a fusion of JavaSoft's
    oft-criticized Abstract Windowing Toolkit (AWT) with the more
    full-featured IFCs. Sun says that engineers from its July acquisition of
    Lighthouse Design, along with staff from Sun, Netscape, and IBM will
    participate in the development of the JFCs at JavaSoft's Cupertino, CA
    offices."

    http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/swol-04-1997/swol-04-javaone.html

    Like all of the other OO Application Frameworks I am familliar with
    (MacApp, MFC, PowerPlant), the initial version of Swing was created by a
    group of engineers, not by a single engineer.

    In fact, in the case of Swing, several companies were involved in the
    creation, which is very unusual. Apple Computer Inc. developed MacApp,
    Microsoft Corp. developed MFC, and Metrowerks developed PowerPlant.

    For more on OO Frameworks, check out this page...
    http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/CACM-frameworks.html

    --Dave

    Java__Dave@NOSPAM_Hotmail.com

    Remove NOSPAM_ to reply...
    The 2 underscores in Java__Dave are required...

    Dave, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Phlip

    Phlip Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > A friend of mine worked at a company called Lighthouse Design between
    > the release of Java 1.0 and the release of Swing 1.0. He was working on
    > a Java application which he was unable to discuss at the time. He told
    > me that there was a Java Application Framework named Swing, which was in
    > development as a sub-project of their application development. In other
    > words, they were developing the application using Swing before Swing was
    > released. It sounded like Swing was being developed by both SUN and
    > Lighthouse.

    Thank you all for the inside information. But...

    ....this is amazing! It's almost as if I had entitled this thread "Who
    invented Swing?"

    If we all know it was obviously Kid Rock, can anyone 'fess up to inventing
    Jemmy??

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Aug 4, 2004
  6. Phlip wrote:

    > Dave wrote:
    >

    >>A friend of mine worked at a company called Lighthouse Design between
    >>the release of Java 1.0 and the release of Swing 1.0. He was working on
    >>a Java application which he was unable to discuss at the time. He told
    >>me that there was a Java Application Framework named Swing, which was in
    >>development as a sub-project of their application development. In other
    >>words, they were developing the application using Swing before Swing was
    >>released. It sounded like Swing was being developed by both SUN and
    >>Lighthouse.

    > Thank you all for the inside information. But...
    >
    > ...this is amazing! It's almost as if I had entitled this thread "Who
    > invented Swing?"
    >
    > If we all know it was obviously Kid Rock, can anyone 'fess up to inventing
    > Jemmy??

    AFAIK Jemmy was invented by Alexandre Iline (a Sun employee), who
    created this framework to tests GUI of Sun's IDE based on NetBeans. It
    was later opensourced and is currently hosted on netbeans.org.

    B.

    Martin Brehovsky, Aug 4, 2004