Who invented Jemmy?

Phlip

Java Engineers:

Jemmy is a GUI test rig for Swing?

Who invented Jemmy? I can't seem to google for this crumb of information.

And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...

Steven J Sobol

Phlip said:
And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...

There is no *one* inventor of Swing. While Java is an open technology,
it was developed by a commercial entity (Sun) employing a team of developers.

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Phlip said:
And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...

Hard to say. JFC/Swing was based on IFC from Netscape; not sure if
there was a single person "founding" that.

The Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_(Java)

Note: Swing etc. are just examples of a concept called "light-weight
components", and it's perfectly possible to make your own framework if
you like.

Dave

Phlip said:
Java Engineers:

And who invented Swing? By "invented" I mean the founder. Linus Torvalds
invented Linux, and now everyone else maintains it...

A friend of mine worked at a company called Lighthouse Design between
the release of Java 1.0 and the release of Swing 1.0. He was working on
a Java application which he was unable to discuss at the time. He told
me that there was a Java Application Framework named Swing, which was in
development as a sub-project of their application development. In other
words, they were developing the application using Swing before Swing was
released. It sounded like Swing was being developed by both SUN and
Lighthouse.

The following quote from the April 1997 SunWorld indicates that
engineers from Netscape and IBM were also involved in the creation of
Swing 1.0.

"Sun's work with Netscape will result in the Java Foundation Classes
(JFC) libraries that will significantly extend the graphical user
interface (GUI) side of the language. Called the "Swing Set" by Java
creator James Gosling, the JFCs are a fusion of JavaSoft's
oft-criticized Abstract Windowing Toolkit (AWT) with the more
full-featured IFCs. Sun says that engineers from its July acquisition of
Lighthouse Design, along with staff from Sun, Netscape, and IBM will
participate in the development of the JFCs at JavaSoft's Cupertino, CA
offices."

http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/swol-04-1997/swol-04-javaone.html

Like all of the other OO Application Frameworks I am familliar with
(MacApp, MFC, PowerPlant), the initial version of Swing was created by a
group of engineers, not by a single engineer.

In fact, in the case of Swing, several companies were involved in the
creation, which is very unusual. Apple Computer Inc. developed MacApp,
Microsoft Corp. developed MFC, and Metrowerks developed PowerPlant.

For more on OO Frameworks, check out this page...
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/CACM-frameworks.html

--Dave

Java__Dave@NOSPAM_Hotmail.com

Remove NOSPAM_ to reply...
The 2 underscores in Java__Dave are required...

Phlip

Dave said:
A friend of mine worked at a company called Lighthouse Design between
the release of Java 1.0 and the release of Swing 1.0. He was working on
a Java application which he was unable to discuss at the time. He told
me that there was a Java Application Framework named Swing, which was in
development as a sub-project of their application development. In other
words, they were developing the application using Swing before Swing was
released. It sounded like Swing was being developed by both SUN and
Lighthouse.

Thank you all for the inside information. But...

....this is amazing! It's almost as if I had entitled this thread "Who
invented Swing?"

If we all know it was obviously Kid Rock, can anyone 'fess up to inventing
Jemmy??

Martin Brehovsky

Phlip said:
Dave wrote:

Thank you all for the inside information. But...

...this is amazing! It's almost as if I had entitled this thread "Who
invented Swing?"

If we all know it was obviously Kid Rock, can anyone 'fess up to inventing
Jemmy??
AFAIK Jemmy was invented by Alexandre Iline (a Sun employee), who
created this framework to tests GUI of Sun's IDE based on NetBeans. It
was later opensourced and is currently hosted on netbeans.org.

B.