who is arrow mean in UML

jtl.zheng

the arrow is just like "------->"

and it has two kinds: the dotted line and the straight line
what are these two kinds mean in UML

thanks you
^_^

IchBin

jtl.zheng said:
the arrow is just like "------->"

and it has two kinds: the dotted line and the straight line
what are these two kinds mean in UML

thanks you
^_^

On which UML Diagram?

Thanks in Advance...

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Bjorn Abelli

jtl.zheng said:
the arrow is just like "------->"

and it has two kinds: the dotted line and the straight
line what are these two kinds mean in UML

There are a *lot* of straight and dotted lined arrows in UML, so it's a bit
difficult to answer it in short, e.g. with full triangle heads, the straight
lines mean "inheritance" (extends), while the dotted ones mean
"implementation" (implements).

Otherwise in a static chart diagram the straight lined arrow can mean
"uni-directional association", while the dotted line means "dependency". A
small example:

class A {}

class B
{
// uni-directional association
A a;
}

class C
{
// dependency, but no association
void method(A a) {...}
}

C ----> A (dotted line)
B ----> A (but with a straight line)

In a sequence diagram, the straight lined arrow means a message (method
call), while the dotted arrow is where the method returns to the caller.

Here's a summarized reference card:
http://tnerual.eriogerg.free.fr/umlqrc.pdf

Here you can find the complete UML specification:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/uml/resources/documentation.html

/// Bjorn A

jtl.zheng

to IchBin and new :
sorry....I means Class Diagram
but I get it now, thank you all the same

to Bjorn Abelli:
thank you very much for your answer and your references
I get it now...^_^