Who is Marc Block?

Hajime

Hello,

Who is Marc Block?
Stroustrup's 'The C++ Programming Language' 3rd Ed. Appendix A starts
with his maxim:
"There is no worse danger for a teacher than to teach words instead of
things."
I had investigated a little, but I cannot find original text other
than Stroustrup.
Anyone knows original text? Or anyone knows Marc Block?
I'm a Japanese novel writer and going to quote the maxim to my piece.

Thanks.

Michael DOUBEZ

Hajime said:
Who is Marc Block?
Stroustrup's 'The C++ Programming Language' 3rd Ed. Appendix A starts
with his maxim:
"There is no worse danger for a teacher than to teach words instead of
things."
I had investigated a little, but I cannot find original text other
than Stroustrup.
Anyone knows original text? Or anyone knows Marc Block?
I'm a Japanese novel writer and going to quote the maxim to my piece.

Marc Block is a french historian. I guess you can find his bio in
english somewhere. I found this one:
http://www.answers.com/topic/marc-bloch

Perhaps is it a quote from his book "The Historian's Craft"

Hajime

Michael DOUBEZ said:
Marc Block is a french historian. I guess you can find his bio in
english somewhere. I found this one:http://www.answers.com/topic/marc-bloch

Perhaps is it a quote from his book "The Historian's Craft"

Thanks, but I cannot found the maxim in the book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=YZ...&hl=ja&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result

I had investigated about Marc Bloch by French language, but it seems
to me that no one quotes the maxim, at least within the range of
google.