Who knows anything about CMSs and online WYSIWIG editors?

bissatch

Hi,

How do I go about creating an online WYSIWIG editor where the user can
type in a special kind of textarea but the text will appear how it
would in a web page (but no html markup present).

For example:

http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/example_full.php?example=true

Something similar to the editor used in PHP-Nuke too. Im not too
bothered about all the fancy buttons and features, Im only wanting to
start with the basics now and then try out new things. Can anyone point
me to a website where this is explained in more detail on how this can
be achieved.

I did find a page on the Microsoft page but this used JScript and as
far as I was aware, IE5.5 and beyond. I would like to use purely
javascript and what other cross browser client side technologies if
possible.

Anyway, if someone could shine a little light on this subject that
would be great. Even if you dont know a great but know a website that
cover some of the basics.

Cheers

Burnsy

bissatch

Hi,

Im making good progress with this but Ive come across a little problem.
I open a file (using fread()) and replace the $oFCKeditor-> value with
the file contents, which at first glance appears to work.
Unfortunetely, when the page contains server side scripting it removes
it in the editor and if I were to write to the file again it would be
lost.

Why does it do that? Is there anyway around this? I have alternative
ideas but I would prefer to allow server-side scripting to be viewed.

Cheers

Burnsy

bissatch

ie php-code inside in the editor? AFAIK FCKeditor-functions are based on the
DOM-tree of the document and so the serverside-code can't get handled correctly
in the browser.

I see that now, I take it that when you view source it isnt like
veiwing the source in, for example, Dreamweaver. Makes sense. How do
you normally handle pages that have server side coding, for example, I
have a box that lists the 5 most recent news articles. With the editor
it converts the PHP block into comments and then I loose it. My
solution at this time is to not have any PHP code on the pages that I
say are editable. Is this the only option. I did have the idea that the
PHP code could be converted like so:

<?php

echo "Hello World!";

?>

...to...

<!--#startphpcode#

echo "Hello World!";

#endphpcode#-->

Not sure if your familiar with PHP but Im sure you get the idea. Not
sure if Im still happy with the fact that the user could perhaps muck
it up in some way. It would be good if the comments were vsisible on
the editor WYSIWIG page.

Anyway, Ive pretty much got to grips with the whole thing. I sat for a
couple of hours trying to get my head round the file browser, which
seems to be fine with images. Is it possible to, in the configuration,
allow the upload of files such as MPEG, and WMV? This would allow me to
create a text link where the user can then view a video file through a
media player.

Burnsy