Who succeeded in compiling Crafty Chess source code?

Michael Loggel

I downloaded MSVC from microsoft for free, the recommended compiler for
Crafty chess program:

- dotnetfx.exe [.NET framework SDK incl MSVC]
- setup.exe [.NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistrib]

bBut I did not succeed! Files like windows.h or windef.h, winnt.h wtc. where
missing (stdio.h etc. where NOT missing)

What can I do to get them for MSVC???

Thanks a lot.

Also hints on how to compile with gcc (I have Dev-C++ 4.9.8.4 (i.e. version
5 beta)) are very welcome. Here I am currently failing because many #include
<...> files like times.h or filio.h are not found...

I searched the weg and the news groups a lot, but found no usable answers up
to now.

Thanks a lot!
Michael

Michael Loggel

I add the following info:
I downloaded MSVC from microsoft for free, the recommended compiler for
Crafty chess program:

- dotnetfx.exe [.NET framework SDK incl MSVC] [24 MB]
- setup.exe [.NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistrib]
[111 MB]

Is it really necessary to install all of this Or even more (because
something is still missing)?? Just to compile some piece of source code form
the command line?

Mark McIntyre

I downloaded MSVC from microsoft for free,

Microsoft, being a commercial software vendor, don't distribute MSVC
for free, at least not any of the recent versions. They may possibly
give away version 1,0.
- dotnetfx.exe [.NET framework SDK incl MSVC]
- setup.exe [.NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistrib]

These are not MSVC, they're the .net framework with support for MSVC.
bBut I did not succeed! Files like windows.h or windef.h, winnt.h wtc. where
missing (stdio.h etc. where NOT missing)

What can I do to get them for MSVC???

You have to actually buy MSVC.

nrk

<snip OT stuff>

If you're impelled to answer OT questions with a post that's equally OT and
to boot, does not point out to the OP that the question is OT, please have
the courtesy to mark your response as OT in the subject line.

-nrk.

nrk

Michael said:
I downloaded MSVC from microsoft for free, the recommended compiler for
Crafty chess program:

- dotnetfx.exe [.NET framework SDK incl MSVC]
- setup.exe [.NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistrib]

bBut I did not succeed! Files like windows.h or windef.h, winnt.h wtc.
where missing (stdio.h etc. where NOT missing)

What can I do to get them for MSVC???

Thanks a lot.

Also hints on how to compile with gcc (I have Dev-C++ 4.9.8.4 (i.e.
version 5 beta)) are very welcome. Here I am currently failing because
many #include <...> files like times.h or filio.h are not found...

I searched the weg and the news groups a lot, but found no usable answers
up to now.

Thanks a lot!
Michael

This newsgroup only deals with the C language as defined in the ISO/ANSI
standards, and your question is off-topic here. You can possibly find
better help in newsgroups related to your specific compilers and/or
operating system.

-nrk.