Who succeeded in compiling Crafty Chess source code?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Michael Loggel, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. I downloaded MSVC from microsoft for free, the recommended compiler for
    Crafty chess program:

    - dotnetfx.exe [.NET framework SDK incl MSVC]
    - setup.exe [.NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistrib]

    bBut I did not succeed! Files like windows.h or windef.h, winnt.h wtc. where
    missing (stdio.h etc. where NOT missing)

    What can I do to get them for MSVC???

    Thanks a lot.

    Also hints on how to compile with gcc (I have Dev-C++ 4.9.8.4 (i.e. version
    5 beta)) are very welcome. Here I am currently failing because many #include
    <...> files like times.h or filio.h are not found...

    I searched the weg and the news groups a lot, but found no usable answers up
    to now.

    Thanks a lot!
    Michael

    --
    No Spam:
    For sending e-mail to me, write "wir_sinds" instead of "xyz.abc".

    Michael Loggel, Dec 6, 2003

  2. I add the following info:

    > I downloaded MSVC from microsoft for free, the recommended compiler for
    > Crafty chess program:
    >
    > - dotnetfx.exe [.NET framework SDK incl MSVC]

    [24 MB]
    > - setup.exe [.NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistrib]

    [111 MB]

    Is it really necessary to install all of this Or even more (because
    something is still missing)?? Just to compile some piece of source code form
    the command line?

    Michael Loggel, Dec 6, 2003

  3. On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 15:23:06 +0000 (UTC), in comp.lang.c , Michael
    Loggel <> wrote:

    >I downloaded MSVC from microsoft for free,

    Microsoft, being a commercial software vendor, don't distribute MSVC
    for free, at least not any of the recent versions. They may possibly
    give away version 1,0.

    >- dotnetfx.exe [.NET framework SDK incl MSVC]
    >- setup.exe [.NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistrib]

    These are not MSVC, they're the .net framework with support for MSVC.

    >bBut I did not succeed! Files like windows.h or windef.h, winnt.h wtc. where
    >missing (stdio.h etc. where NOT missing)
    >
    >What can I do to get them for MSVC???

    You have to actually buy MSVC.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 6, 2003
  4. Michael Loggel

    nrk Guest

    <snip OT stuff>

    If you're impelled to answer OT questions with a post that's equally OT and
    to boot, does not point out to the OP that the question is OT, please have
    the courtesy to mark your response as OT in the subject line.

    -nrk.

    nrk, Dec 6, 2003
  5. Michael Loggel

    nrk Guest

    Michael Loggel wrote:

    > I downloaded MSVC from microsoft for free, the recommended compiler for
    > Crafty chess program:
    >
    > - dotnetfx.exe [.NET framework SDK incl MSVC]
    > - setup.exe [.NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistrib]
    >
    > bBut I did not succeed! Files like windows.h or windef.h, winnt.h wtc.
    > where missing (stdio.h etc. where NOT missing)
    >
    > What can I do to get them for MSVC???
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Also hints on how to compile with gcc (I have Dev-C++ 4.9.8.4 (i.e.
    > version 5 beta)) are very welcome. Here I am currently failing because
    > many #include <...> files like times.h or filio.h are not found...
    >
    > I searched the weg and the news groups a lot, but found no usable answers
    > up to now.
    >
    > Thanks a lot!
    > Michael

    This newsgroup only deals with the C language as defined in the ISO/ANSI
    standards, and your question is off-topic here. You can possibly find
    better help in newsgroups related to your specific compilers and/or
    operating system.

    -nrk.

    nrk, Dec 6, 2003