    CSS is here: http://mrcakey.co.uk/newdd/css.css

    --
    +mrcakey

    +mrcakey, Oct 7, 2008

  2. +mrcakey

    Els Guest

    +mrcakey wrote:

    > http://mrcakey.co.uk/newdd/
    >
    > Even though the divs logo, menu and footer are all set to 100% width,

    100% width plus padding on the footer :)

    > There's bound to be a simple explanation, at
    > which point I'll go "D'OH!", slap my forehead and buy an imaginary beer for
    > the first person to solve it.

    I'll have a rum coke if you don't mind ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Oct 7, 2008

  3. +mrcakey

    Bergamot Guest

    Re: Who wants to make me slap my forehead and go "D'OH!"???? (or"Unwanted Margins")

    +mrcakey wrote:
    > http://mrcakey.co.uk/newdd/
    >
    > Even though the divs logo, menu and footer are all set to 100% width, FF
    > (and IE6 for that matter) insist on extending past the viewport

    Besides what Els said, validating both the HTML and CSS should be one of
    the first steps in debugging rendering issues.

    If you can't figure out the problem from the W3C validator report, try a

    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 7, 2008
  4. +mrcakey

    Peter Guest

    fix your footer

    Peter, Oct 7, 2008
  5. +mrcakey

    dorayme Guest

    In article <tawqqzgsrp6s$.jen9u2qd0kb9$>,
    Els <> wrote:

    > +mrcakey wrote:
    >
    > > http://mrcakey.co.uk/newdd/
    > >
    > > Even though the divs logo, menu and footer are all set to 100% width,

    > 100% width plus padding on the footer :)
    >
    > > There's bound to be a simple explanation, at
    > > which point I'll go "D'OH!", slap my forehead and buy an imaginary beer for
    > > the first person to solve it.

    > I'll have a rum coke if you don't mind ;-)

    While Els is enjoying her rum and coke, consider getting rid of all
    references to width: 1024px; the only things then to rethink are the
    flash object at the top (allowing one to be less wide somehow or not
    having one... I can't see it doing anything at all on my browsers?) so
    your viewers can enjoy the benefit of having less wide browser or simply
    to be able to read lines of text at a more comfortable less width...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 7, 2008
  6. +mrcakey

    +mrcakey Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > +mrcakey wrote:
    >
    >> http://mrcakey.co.uk/newdd/
    >>
    >> Even though the divs logo, menu and footer are all set to 100% width,

    > 100% width plus padding on the footer :)
    >
    >> There's bound to be a simple explanation, at
    >> which point I'll go "D'OH!", slap my forehead and buy an imaginary beer
    >> for
    >> the first person to solve it.

    > I'll have a rum coke if you don't mind ;-)

    The most annoying thing is that I went over in my head several times - there
    must be something different between the three 100% areas. The standard box
    model is really pants though - so counter-intuitive. In real life, boxes
    are as wide as they are and then you stick padding in them.

    Anyway, would you like ice and a slice?

    +mrcakey

    +mrcakey, Oct 9, 2008
  7. +mrcakey

    +mrcakey Guest

    "Bergamot" <> wrote in message

    > +mrcakey wrote:
    >> http://mrcakey.co.uk/newdd/
    >>
    >> Even though the divs logo, menu and footer are all set to 100% width, FF
    >> (and IE6 for that matter) insist on extending past the viewport

    > Besides what Els said, validating both the HTML and CSS should be one of
    > the first steps in debugging rendering issues.
    >
    > If you can't figure out the problem from the W3C validator report, try a

    > Berg

    Is there an embarrassed face smiley? It was valid, but I was adding and
    taking away div's in an effort to rectify the problem and evidently I missed
    off a >, D'oh!

    +mrcakey

    +mrcakey, Oct 9, 2008
  8. +mrcakey

    Els Guest

    +mrcakey wrote:

    > "Els" <> wrote in message
    >> +mrcakey wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://mrcakey.co.uk/newdd/
    >>>
    >>> Even though the divs logo, menu and footer are all set to 100% width,

    >> 100% width plus padding on the footer :)
    >>
    >>> There's bound to be a simple explanation, at
    >>> which point I'll go "D'OH!", slap my forehead and buy an imaginary beer
    >>> for
    >>> the first person to solve it.

    >> I'll have a rum coke if you don't mind ;-)
    >>

    > The most annoying thing is that I went over in my head several times - there
    > must be something different between the three 100% areas.

    Install Firebug. Really - I just hovered over the 3 sections in the
    HTML part of the code window, and the footer was the one extending.
    Also, Firebug then immediately showed big fat paddings on the element.
    Too easy! :)

    > The standard box
    > model is really pants though - so counter-intuitive. In real life, boxes
    > are as wide as they are and then you stick padding in them.

    Depends how you look at it. If I have a 50cm wide item and buy a box
    for it, I need to take the padding into account to know how big the
    box will need to be. Padding is usually used for boxes that contain
    rigid sized content, not in containers that will then be filled with
    flexible things like liquid.

    > Anyway, would you like ice and a slice?

    no ice please, lemon is good, thanks :)

    --