whois info from Python?

skip

I'm looking to get whois information for a given domain from Python. I'm
mostly interested in record update and creation dates at the moment, but
eventually might want more. I stumbled upon a couple modules/programs:
rwhois.py and whois.py but neither seems to work. I can clearly issue a
whois command directly, but I'm hoping there's some module out there that
will do the domain-to-whoisserver mapping and all the output parsing for me.
Any candidates other than the two I've found so far?

Thx,

Skip