Why am I not getting a value?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Ian, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Ian, Feb 1, 2005

  2. On 31 Jan 2005 21:12:56 -0800, (Ian) wrote:

    >Why don't I get the value of "windows" in my file? My xml file is
    >located in http://www.otima.ca/XML/auto.xml and the xslt file is
    >http://www.otima.ca/XML/auto.xslt.

    Your www server is sending your xslt resource with a mime type of
    text/plain.

    Reconfigure your server to send the correct mime type.

    --
    Rex
    Jan Roland Eriksson, Feb 1, 2005

  3. Ian

    Guest

    Hi Jan,

    I have the same issue if I do this on my local HD. What do you
    suggest?

    Thank you,

    Ian
    Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:
    > On 31 Jan 2005 21:12:56 -0800, (Ian) wrote:
    >
    > >Why don't I get the value of "windows" in my file? My xml file is
    > >located in http://www.otima.ca/XML/auto.xml and the xslt file is
    > >http://www.otima.ca/XML/auto.xslt.

    > Your www server is sending your xslt resource with a mime type of
    > text/plain.
    >
    > Reconfigure your server to send the correct mime type.
    >
    > --
    > Rex
    , Feb 1, 2005
  4. Ian wrote:

    > Why don't I get the value of "windows" in my file? My xml file is
    > located in http://www.otima.ca/XML/auto.xml and the xslt file is
    > http://www.otima.ca/XML/auto.xslt.

    Can you explain in detail what you are trying and what fails?
    If I load <http://www.otima.ca/XML/auto.xml> with IE 6 it seems it
    applies the stylesheet.

    Netscape 7.2 clearly displays
    "An XSLT stylesheet does not have an XML mimetype"

    See the Mozilla XSLT FAQ
    <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xslt/faq.html>
    about the content type/MIME type issue.

    If you cannot change the server settings for .xslt files then name the
    style sheet something.xml, should make Mozilla happy and keep IE happy.

    As for the XSLT stylesheet and its output I guess instead of
    <xsl:value-of select="/windows"/>
    you want
    <xsl:value-of select="n:interior/n:windows"/>

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Feb 1, 2005
  5. Ian

    Ian Rutgers Guest

    Hi Martin,

    The exercise I am doing is for an XML class (though I would like to turn
    this into a work opportunity) I am trying to convert the xml file into
    an xhtml using a table (and css).

    Initially all I want is for the Window label and the corresponding xml
    element "n:windows" to show up. The Window label shows up, but not the
    value of "n:windows" in xml spy/Internet Explorer.

    Thank you,

    Ian

    Ian Rutgers, Feb 1, 2005
  6. Ian

    Guest

    I have been doing some more work on the issue (still more to test).
    There is a mime issue (with Netscape) as you indicated. If you take a
    look at http://www.otima.ca/XML/auto2.xml and auto2.xslt you will see I
    have made significant progress. (I now am trying to figure out how to
    look at the boolean value elements and do one thing if the value is
    "false" and another if the value is "true" ..

    For the purposes of the class assignment I don't need to solve the mime
    issue (doesn't have to be Netscape compatible) but once I have it
    completed, I will investigate (and may come back here for help) the
    mime issue.

    This is a great discussion group!

    Cheers,

    Ian

    Ian Rutgers wrote:
    > Hi Martin,
    >
    > The exercise I am doing is for an XML class (though I would like to

    turn
    > this into a work opportunity) I am trying to convert the xml file

    into
    > an xhtml using a table (and css).
    >
    > Initially all I want is for the Window label and the corresponding

    xml
    > element "n:windows" to show up. The Window label shows up, but not

    the
    > value of "n:windows" in xml spy/Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Ian

    , Feb 2, 2005