    (hey, that rhymes), I find this rather frustrating.

    Cheers,
    Mike

    msoulier, Jun 14, 2006

  2. msoulier

    msoulier Guest

    Tim Hunter wrote:
    > > Perl and Python don't seem to have this problem. As a newbie to Ruby
    > > (hey, that rhymes), I find this rather frustrating.

    > www.ruby-doc.org

    Doesn't cut it.

    For example, in the UDPSocket class, there is no mention of the send
    method, but I'm told that it's there. That's just useless.

    Mike

    msoulier, Jun 29, 2006

  3. msoulier

    gregarican Guest

    msoulier wrote:
    > Tim Hunter wrote:
    > > > Perl and Python don't seem to have this problem. As a newbie to Ruby
    > > > (hey, that rhymes), I find this rather frustrating.

    > > www.ruby-doc.org

    > Doesn't cut it.
    >
    > For example, in the UDPSocket class, there is no mention of the send
    > method, but I'm told that it's there. That's just useless.
    >
    > Mike

    Are you sure that the #send method isn't there? FYI here are some
    details regarding the UDPSocket class...

    UDPSocket

    UDP socket class

    UDPSocket is a class for UDP (User Datagram Protocol), which is
    connection-less, unreliable protocol.

    Required Library

    require 'socket'
    Inherited Class

    IPSocket

    Class Methods

    UDPSocket::new([socktype=Socket::AF_INET])
    UDPSocket::eek:pen([socktype=Socket::AF_INET])
    Creates a UDP datagram socket.

    Instance Methods

    s.bind(host, port)
    Binds the socket to port on host. host may be empty string ("") for
    INADDR_ANY, or "<broadcast>" for INADDR_BROADCAST.

    s.connect(host, port)
    Connects the socket to port on host. host may be empty string ("") for
    INADDR_ANY, or "<broadcast>" for INADDR_BROADCAST.

    s.send(mesg, flags[, to])
    s.send(mesg, flags[, host, port])
    Sends data on a socket s, returning the length of the data sent. If
    only two arguments are specified, the destination is assumed to be the
    port of the existing connection. Otherwise, it may be specified using a
    struct sockaddr when calling the method with three arguments, or by
    indicating host and port when specifying four arguments.

    gregarican, Jun 29, 2006
  4. msoulier

    gregarican Guest

    msoulier wrote:
    > Tim Hunter wrote:
    > > > Perl and Python don't seem to have this problem. As a newbie to Ruby
    > > > (hey, that rhymes), I find this rather frustrating.

    > > www.ruby-doc.org

    > Doesn't cut it.
    >
    > For example, in the UDPSocket class, there is no mention of the send
    > method, but I'm told that it's there. That's just useless.
    >
    > Mike

    Looking at a Google cache of the Ruby-Doc site I do see mention of the
    #send method. My DNS Server is having problems resolving the original
    Ruby-Doc site for some reason. See
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...uby UDPSocket Class&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=14
    for details from the Google cache.

    gregarican, Jun 29, 2006
  5. msoulier

    msoulier Guest

    gregarican wrote:
    > Are you sure that the #send method isn't there? FYI here are some
    > details regarding the UDPSocket class...

    Thanks. Pickaxe has it, but I guess it wasn't picked-up in the rdoc of
    the source that ends up on ruby-doc.

    Mike

    msoulier, Jun 30, 2006
  6. msoulier

    ChrisH Guest

    gregarican wrote:
    > msoulier wrote:
    > > Tim Hunter wrote:

    > Looking at a Google cache of the Ruby-Doc site I do see mention of the
    > #send method. My DNS Server is having problems resolving the original
    > Ruby-Doc site for some reason. See
    > http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...uby UDPSocket Class&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=14
    > for details from the Google cache.

    It seems resolv-replace over-rides UDPSocket.send(), the method is
    listed but it is not documented

    cheers

    ChrisH, Jun 30, 2006