Why are standards important?

Whitecrest

"Steve said:
My company's policy is that it's only *nerds* who use browsers other than
IE, so they don't give a damn about Opera etc., users

By use the the word "nerds" it is obvious your company has done little
investigation into the browser usage of their customers.

Whitecrest

news27 said:
My company has a policy of accepting sales orders from anyone that has the
funds regardless of the technology employed and their chosen method of
payment without regard to race, religion, geography, political persuasion or
sexual orientation.

And that is EXACTLY what it should do if it is a direct revenue source.

Whitecrest

A much better phrasing of the question :)

Lets expand it to three things: Standards; Browser compliance; Browser error
correction....

You know, if they code the HTML for IE, then the site probably works
perfectly well in 99% of the other browsers just fine.

If the OP is worried about it not working for someone then he would be
much better off worrying about how they use Javascript than if they are
writing compliant code. My experience is a company that unknowingly
abuses one will abuse the other.

rf

Whitecrest said:
You know, if they code the HTML for IE, then the site probably works
perfectly well in 99% of the other browsers just fine.

Nope. There are plenty of IE specific things that don't work in other
browsers. There are plenty of mistakes one can make on coding that IE
corrects that other browsers barf on.
If the OP is worried about it not working for someone then he would be
much better off worrying about how they use Javascript than if they are
writing compliant code.

Er, javascript is an add on to a web page, not a part of it.
My experience is a company that unknowingly
abuses one will abuse the other.

True. Hence the plethora of sites out that are buggered without javascrip.
Then again look at the number of (big) sites out there who are buggered if I
simply change my font size.

Cheers
Richard.

Barry Pearson

Jukka said:
bjg said:
"If it looks good in IE,
who cares" seems to be the attitude at work. I don't think I can
persuade them with moral arguments...
[snip]
Pick up any page of the company's site, change the doctype to one that
makes IE 6 go to "standard" mode, show the result and ask them: "When
Microsoft takes the next move and turns the 'standard' mode the only
one, or at least the default, what will happen to us?"

(You may need to check this in advance. Some pages don't crash in the
'standard' mode, so pick up another one.)

If your conscience says that this is not morally quite acceptable,
since you are fooling them a bit (Microsoft probably won't do that, at
least in a few years), tell your conscience "OK, _you_ try it next".

What is this actually trying to achieve? If you have to play games like that,
perhaps standards are not so important after all. I don't believe they make
much sense unless there are sound commercial or legal reasons for them. (Yes,
standards *are* needed - but much of the value of standards is not to do with
authors, it is to do with browser & authoring-tool developers, and in fact
with other standards-developers).

A problem with the "bjg" quote above is discussion of "moral arguments".
Unless this relates to serious ethical considerations, based on some ethics
process, then it sounds like a variant of religion. But that isn't how
companies make money, and disabled people get helped. I believe there *are*
aguments that can be used with hard-nosed business people, but the arguments
must relate to *their* objectives. What are the "win-wins"?
You might also try the same by disabling JavaScript and telling that
according to yet unconfirmed news, hundreds of leading companies
worldwide are taking an action that will make company firewalls filter
out all JavaScript due to exceptionally severe security holes detected
in IE's JavaScript support, holes that have been claimed by Microsoft
not to exist, so there are no patches to come.

Well, that's blown "moral arguments" out of the water!

A hard-nosed business person or project manager should spot that one, and
you've lost your credibility. The problem is that this topic isn't being
treated like an exercise in team working, it is being treated like how to get
one over on the management or other colleagues. If the department is so
disfunctional, either stay and set about improving its maturity over years, or
join a better one.

Sometimes it just needs a bit of investment on your part. I've noticed, for
example, that people may be resistent to have a project documentation
standard. Until you give them one, perhaps as a set of Word templates and a
spreadsheet or database to record the documents, then they sigh with relief
because it is now one less thing to worry about. Perhaps they think that style
standards will cost too much - until you give them a preliminary CSS to work
with, and HTML templates that link to that CSS.

I believe that most people don't behave the way they do from malice. They do
so because they have so many things to worry about that they can't tolerate
the idea that they have yet another problem. People are quite capable of going
into denial over new problems! Take some of their problems away - they may be
all they really wanted.

Daniel R. Tobias

Steve said:
My company's policy is that it's only *nerds* who use browsers other than
IE, so they don't give a damn about Opera etc., users

I'd like to know what company that is so I can add it to the Hall of
Shame on my site.

William Tasso

rf said:
Error correction has bread a generation if bloody lazy coders.

and spell-checkers. you have no idea how long I sat, trying to make sense
of 'bread' in that context ;o)

Chris Morris

Jukka K. Korpela said:
You might also try the same by disabling JavaScript and telling that
according to yet unconfirmed news, hundreds of leading companies
worldwide are taking an action that will make company firewalls filter
out all JavaScript due to exceptionally severe security holes detected
in IE's JavaScript support, holes that have been claimed by Microsoft
not to exist, so there are no patches to come.

If you're going to do that, of course, why not just tell them that due
to severe unpatched security holes in Internet Explorer
many companies/organisations are moving/have moved to other browsers.

We've (University of ~20k staff and students) been using Gecko
variants - Netscape 7, with a migration in progress to Mozilla 1.x -
for over 18 months here, as the supported browser [1]. IE is
available, but the homepage is set to an internal page reminding users
that they should be using Netscape.

[1] By which I mean we support users who want to know how to use it,
not that we only write/test pages for it.

Barry Pearson

bjg wrote:
[snip]
By question would have been better phrased, as what are some reasons
why standards are important for a high-traffic website? "If it looks
good in IE, who cares" seems to be the attitude at work. I don't
think I can persuade them with moral arguments...

Just a thought. If you want to get them thinking about browsers other than IE,
demonstrate Firefox + Web Developer Toolbar to them. (I'm not sure what the
commercial implications are).

Don't "sell" it as a browser they need to cater for. They probably don't
*need* to. Sell it as a valuable authoring tool (especially the Toolbar). Show
them that it can help them identify problems that may affect some of their
user-base, such as the "speed report", or the ability to see the structure of
documents so that problems with the code can be seen, or the ability to resize
the window easily, etc. Show them how it can make their life easier. (It
certainly makes mine easier - but I doubt if that will impress them!)

It is then a good "Trojan Horse" for standards compliance - it is so easy to
validate stuff in several different ways. That can follow when they are ready.

Leif K-Brooks

bjg said:
If it looks good in IE,
who cares" seems to be the attitude at work. I don't think I can persuade
them with moral arguments...

If you had coded to Netscape back when it was the most used browser,
your pages would look awful in today's popular browser. Same goes for
Mosaic. Browser markets can shift suddenly, why not fix your site now
rather than later?

Whitecrest

True. Hence the plethora of sites out that are buggered without javascrip.
Then again look at the number of (big) sites out there who are buggered if I
simply change my font size.

I completely agree.

Whitecrest

If you had coded to Netscape back when it was the most used browser,
your pages would look awful in today's popular browser. Same goes for
Mosaic. Browser markets can shift suddenly, why not fix your site now
rather than later?

If your site has not changed in that many years, you have bigger issues
than browser compatibility...

Jukka K. Korpela

rf said:
In your typical pedantic mode you have of course chosen to ignore
the fact that the question was posed in the subject line

How perceptive. But I was commenting on your non-answer being
a non-answer to a non-question. HTH.

Jukka K. Korpela

Barry Pearson said:
What is this actually trying to achieve?

Understanding the importance of creating pages that make sense.
If you have to play games
like that, perhaps standards are not so important after all.

I don't think I said they are. I was commenting on the _new_ question
on why it is not sufficient to check that "it looks good in IE".
I believe there *are* aguments that can be used
with hard-nosed business people, but the arguments must relate to
*their* objectives.

Quite right. So wouldn't they be interested in the threat that time and
money will be wasted and the customers that will be lost when the site
turns into a junk in the next release of the Browser?
A hard-nosed business person or project manager should spot that
one, and you've lost your credibility.

Do you seriously think that they have the least understanding of the
technical basis? What matters is which papers and brochures they read.
For detailed strategy, you would need to know that.
I've
noticed, for example, that people may be resistent to have a
project documentation standard. Until you give them one, perhaps as
a set of Word templates and a spreadsheet or database to record the
documents, then they sigh with relief

You seem to live in a better planet than I do.
I believe that most people don't behave the way they do from
malice. They do so because they have so many things to worry about
that they can't tolerate the idea that they have yet another
problem.

Indeed. That's why issues like "validation" should be the last we throw
at them - it's quite often now the first one. The real problem with
most pages is they don't work even on IE when you change the functional
parameters (font size, window width, disable JavaScript, things like
that).

Jukka K. Korpela

Whitecrest said:
If your site has not changed in that many years, you have bigger
issues than browser compatibility...

Maybe. And if your site _needs_ a rewrite every year or so, then you
are probably redesigning it to make it incompatible with previous _and_
future browsers.

There's a lot of content that is just as fine today as it was ten years
ago. Consider a poem, or a novel, or a presentation of the basics of
mathematical topology. If the site was redesigned, it was probably a
mistake, since pages written in early 1990s should work just fine.

Besides, although most sites need some updating (which is quite often
neglected while the _appearance_ is redesigned every year), this does
not mean that their structure needs to change much.

Kim André Akerø

Whitecrest said:
A better analogy would have been "what if they build roads for everyone
but Chrysler owned by people that refuse to use air conditioning."

Much better than mine, actually. :)

standards..

And which one would that be? I would like to see a "corporate" site
that complies with standards. (I mean large corporation like the one you
mentioned in your statement, Chrysler)

Well, "corporate" website is probably a better way to put it. More like a
website for my one-man business. I slip into bad words every now and than,
but hey, I'm Norwegian. Is that a good enough excuse?

Oh, and the website isn't done yet, but a preview of it is here:
http://www.betadome.com/main/

Most of the links lead back to the old site (with the old business name), as
I intend to keep part of the old directory structure and replacing some of
the old links with redirects to the updated links.

Perfect conformity to XHTML 1.0 Strict, according to W3C's validator. At
least for the pages I've tested.

Barry Pearson

Jukka said:
Understanding the importance of creating pages that make sense.

Hm! Here is what I was replying to & querying:

Jukka K. Korpela:
Pick up any page of the company's site, change the doctype to one that
makes IE 6 go to "standard" mode, show the result and ask them: "When
Microsoft takes the next move and turns the 'standard' mode the only
one, or at least the default, what will happen to us?"

(You may need to check this in advance. Some pages don't crash in the
'standard' mode, so pick up another one.)

If your conscience says that this is not morally quite acceptable,
since you are fooling them a bit (Microsoft probably won't do that, at
least in a few years), tell your conscience "OK, you try it next".

Was that *really* about "Understanding the importance of creating pages that
make sense"? It looked (and looks) to me as though you were proposing playing
games with colleagues. If you were not, then I apologise - but surely you can
see that it looked that way?

[snip]
Quite right. So wouldn't they be interested in the threat that time
and money will be wasted and the customers that will be lost when the
site turns into a junk in the next release of the Browser?

Yes! And that is exactly the point. *Demonstrate* that. Show them that *their*
objectives will be damaged by non-adherence to standards. Understand their
objectives. Show that you are trying to help them achieve them.

But, of course, be prepared when they point out that the next release of the
browser will attempt to be backward-compatible. Which, of course, it will. All
the organisation needs to do is be comfortably within the bulk of the web
sites on the web. No browser will become popular if it denies access to the
bulk of those sites. A browser may survive if it can't handle some small
percentage of existing web sites. Just don't be among that small percentage.
Do you seriously think that they have the least understanding of the
technical basis? What matters is which papers and brochures they read.
For detailed strategy, you would need to know that.

It doesn't matter. It is for you to convince them, not for them to prove you
wrong. They are the ones who get fired if it doesn't work - so they will fight
for survival. Don't try to sell them snake-oil, or *appear* to be doing that.
You seem to live in a better planet than I do.

Possibly. But it is a view gained over decades of helping to design
large-scale computer systems. Managers want people who can take some of the
pain away. They don't want people to tell them they have even more problems
than they already knew they had.

When trying to persuade people - analyse "what is in it for them". Make them
realise you understand their problems, and have answers.
Indeed. That's why issues like "validation" should be the last we
throw at them - it's quite often now the first one. The real problem
with most pages is they don't work even on IE when you change the
functional parameters (font size, window width, disable JavaScript,
things like that).

True. Which helps to answer the subject of this thread. In effect, it is the
wrong question.

Jukka K. Korpela

Barry Pearson said:
Was that *really* about "Understanding the importance of creating
pages that make sense"? It looked (and looks) to me as though you
were proposing playing games with colleagues.

All the world is a game and all the men and women merely players.
In this vase, the game, or play, was a demonstration through a thought
experiment. Unfortunately the future cannot be seen, so we need to
"play games" if we wish to stay tuned to the future at all.
But, of course, be prepared when they point out that the next
release of the browser will attempt to be backward-compatible.

Well, we can always list down things that have not been backward-
compatible. And point out the Java incident. There's also a growing
movement away from the relatively stagnated IE to Mozilla and other
browsers, strengthened by security considerations.

Most of all, remember Mosaic. It was _the_ browser, often regarded as
identical with the WWW. Later, Netscape ruled the earth. Little did
most people anticipate what was to come. Changes can be pretty fast
these days.
Which, of course, it will. All the organisation needs to do is be
comfortably within the bulk of the web sites on the web. No browser
will become popular if it denies access to the bulk of those sites.

How could you know you're in the crowd? Surely the future browsers (or
versions) will aim at compatibility, often after a heroic attempt at
conforming to specifications. But full compatibility is impossible
in practice, and sites will be lost, and how do you know you're not in
that crowd?

The real question is how to create pages that make sense, now and in
the long run. The "standards" are a good starting point, but much in
them is just experimental, or poorly designed, or unimplemented, or
horrendously poorly implemented. Moreover, as many people have said,
the real problem with very many sites is that their designers never
really though _why_ they are creating them - what the site should
accomplish. No standard can cover such things. Many sites are just
exhibitions of their authors' technical skills (sometimes real, often
tragicomic). Little does it matter if pages "work" on IE, or on any
browser for that matter, if their content is just boring brochures.
And it seems that quite often brochures are what the management wants.
I have no cure for that.

Kevin Scholl

bjg said:

One of the most succinct responses to this question I've ever seen comes
from Dan Cedarholm's SimpleBits site -- http://www.simplebits.com

- Decreased bandwidth and server space
- Improved accessibility to all browsers and devices (including those
with disabilities)
- Increased separation of presentation layer code from content
- Simplified updating of look and feel
- Faster page loading
- Lower costs

I would also add to that more consistent, universal browser support. Why
code for IE-only when standards-compliant code will largely work not
only in IE, but also a host of other modern browsers?

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)

Kevin Scholl

Steve said:
Kim André Akerø wrote in message ....

trustworthy).

My company's policy is that it's only *nerds* who use browsers other than
IE, so they don't give a damn about Opera etc., users

Your company policy is foolishly narrow in vision. Everything is cyclic,
and users are fickle. Just ask Netscape. What is your company going to
do in the next year or two, as more people continue to move away from an
outdated IE, to newer, superior browsers? What are they going to do in
2006, when users decide it's not worth upgrading to Longhorn to get IE7?