Why are you still using C?

Ed Morton

This is the third recent article you've posted with absolutely no text
explaining the purpose of your posting. If you're trying to make a point and
list some supporting articles, then please don't forget to make your point! I
doubt if many participants in this NG have time to go off reading a slew of
articles without some indication from the poster of why that might be a
reasonable idea.

Ed.

Ed Morton

This is the third recent article you've posted with absolutely no text
explaining the purpose of your posting. [...]

ERT is a troll, so just ignore him.

I've seen a lot of postings stating that, but until recently I never actually
believed his postings were INTENTIONALLY provocative. This recent outpouring
casts a whole new light though...

Ed.

Default User

Ed said:
I've seen a lot of postings stating that, but until recently I never actually
believed his postings were INTENTIONALLY provocative. This recent outpouring
casts a whole new light though...

Just a lack of experience on your part. I'm familiar with his
shenanigans from comp.lang.c++. Apparently he got tired of trolling over
there and decided to try clc for a while.

Brian Rodenborn

Michael B Allen

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:09:38 -0500, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

<snip>

Wow, that was very interesting! I think we should all stop using C now
guys. Ok? I'm dusting off my C++ book right now. So how do we shutdown
this newsgroup? No one should post here anymore. Ok?

Nice talking to you. If anyone needs to contact me I'll be over at
comp.lang.c++.

Farewell,
Mike

Joe Wright

Michael said:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:09:38 -0500, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

<snip>

Wow, that was very interesting! I think we should all stop using C now
guys. Ok? I'm dusting off my C++ book right now. So how do we shutdown
this newsgroup? No one should post here anymore. Ok?

Nice talking to you. If anyone needs to contact me I'll be over at
comp.lang.c++.
I'm right behind you Mike. OK you guys, the last one out turn off the
lights. :)

Christopher Benson-Manica

Joe Wright said:
I'm right behind you Mike. OK you guys, the last one out turn off the
lights. :)

And call free() on all pointers? Heck, I'm going to invoke some undefined
behavior before I leave... stand back!! ;)

Micah Cowan

Default User said:
Just a lack of experience on your part. I'm familiar with his
shenanigans from comp.lang.c++. Apparently he got tired of trolling over
there and decided to try clc for a while.

Actually, since I started back up reading the NG a couple months
ago (due to the enormous amount of free time I currently enjoy
due to being suddenly unemployed), none of his posts have struck
me as trolls either. I'd be mildly interested in some references,
if someone wants to bother with that.

Micah Cowan wrote:
Actually, since I started back up reading the NG a couple months
ago (due to the enormous amount of free time I currently enjoy
due to being suddenly unemployed), none of his posts have struck
me as trolls either. I'd be mildly interested in some references,
if someone wants to bother with that.

What kind of references do you need? Is it not obvious from his constant
assertion that all C code must be written so as to compile as C++? Or
that compilers will diagnose missing headers because his happens to?

Do your own research on Trollsdale, groups.google is there for you.

Brian Rodenborn

Micah Cowan

What kind of references do you need? Is it not obvious from his constant
assertion that all C code must be written so as to compile as C++? Or
that compilers will diagnose missing headers because his happens to?

Disseminating incorrect information (unless he actually realizes
its incorrect and deliberately spreads it for kicks) is not the
same thing as trolling. Everybody starts with ignorance, it's
what they do with it. It may be that he has previously come to
the point of trolling, but not in recent posts that I have read
(AFAICT).

As to writing C code that it must be written so as to compile as
C++, has he actually made the claim that *all* C code should so
compile? Because if not, Mr. Plauger has also made claims for C
code that should compile as C++, and while he still hasn't given
any real reasons for doing so as I'd hoped he would (leaving it
up to my "limited imagination"), I certainly wouldn't call /him/ a
troll.

Micah said:
Disseminating incorrect information (unless he actually realizes
its incorrect and deliberately spreads it for kicks) is not the
same thing as trolling. Everybody starts with ignorance, it's
what they do with it. It may be that he has previously come to
the point of trolling, but not in recent posts that I have read
(AFAICT).

Oh come on. He posts the bad information, argues incessantly with those
that correct the misinformation, reposts the same bad information again,
misquotes the Standard to his advantage.

If you can't see that this is trolling behavior, then there's literally
nothing I can do to help you. You will have to come to enlightenment
through your own path.

Brian Rodenborn

Micah Cowan

Oh come on. He posts the bad information, argues incessantly with those
that correct the misinformation, reposts the same bad information again,
misquotes the Standard to his advantage.

If you can't see that this is trolling behavior, then there's literally
nothing I can do to help you.

I agree that's trolling. I'm saying I haven't seen it yet. I
trust your judgment enough, though, that I expect to see the
pattern soon enough.