    --
    Irrwahn
    ()
    Irrwahn Grausewitz, Oct 28, 2003

  2. E. Robert Tisdale

    Ed Morton Guest

    On 10/28/2003 1:09 PM, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
    > http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/WhyAreYouStillUsingC.pdf
    >
    > http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2003/n1430.pdf
    > http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG21/docs/PDTR18015.pdf
    > http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2003/n1487.pdf
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bd221m$oh654$
    > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.c .perfometer/
    > news://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.c .perfometer
    >
    > http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/basics/ComparingCPPAndCPerformance.htm
    > http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/basics/ComparingCPPAndCPerformance2.htm
    > http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/Basics/OptimizingCAndCPPCode.htm

    This is the third recent article you've posted with absolutely no text
    explaining the purpose of your posting. If you're trying to make a point and
    list some supporting articles, then please don't forget to make your point! I
    doubt if many participants in this NG have time to go off reading a slew of
    articles without some indication from the poster of why that might be a
    reasonable idea.

    Ed.
    Ed Morton, Oct 29, 2003
  3. E. Robert Tisdale

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    Ed Morton <> writes:

    > On 10/28/2003 1:09 PM, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
    > > [URLs]

    > This is the third recent article you've posted with absolutely no text
    > explaining the purpose of your posting. [...]

    ERT is a troll, so just ignore him.
    Ben Pfaff, Oct 29, 2003
  4. E. Robert Tisdale

    Ed Morton Guest

    On 10/28/2003 7:14 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
    > Ed Morton <> writes:
    >

    >>On 10/28/2003 1:09 PM, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
    >>
    >>>[URLs]

    >>This is the third recent article you've posted with absolutely no text
    >>explaining the purpose of your posting. [...]

    > ERT is a troll, so just ignore him.

    I've seen a lot of postings stating that, but until recently I never actually
    believed his postings were INTENTIONALLY provocative. This recent outpouring
    casts a whole new light though...

    Ed.
    Ed Morton, Oct 29, 2003
  5. E. Robert Tisdale

    Default User Guest

    Ed Morton wrote:

    > > ERT is a troll, so just ignore him.

    > I've seen a lot of postings stating that, but until recently I never actually
    > believed his postings were INTENTIONALLY provocative. This recent outpouring
    > casts a whole new light though...

    Just a lack of experience on your part. I'm familiar with his
    shenanigans from comp.lang.c++. Apparently he got tired of trolling over
    there and decided to try clc for a while.

    Brian Rodenborn
    Default User, Oct 29, 2003
  6. On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:09:38 -0500, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

    <snip>

    Wow, that was very interesting! I think we should all stop using C now
    guys. Ok? I'm dusting off my C++ book right now. So how do we shutdown
    this newsgroup? No one should post here anymore. Ok?

    Nice talking to you. If anyone needs to contact me I'll be over at
    comp.lang.c++.

    Farewell,
    Mike
    Michael B Allen, Oct 29, 2003
  7. E. Robert Tisdale

    Joe Wright Guest

    Michael B Allen wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:09:38 -0500, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Wow, that was very interesting! I think we should all stop using C now
    > guys. Ok? I'm dusting off my C++ book right now. So how do we shutdown
    > this newsgroup? No one should post here anymore. Ok?
    >
    > Nice talking to you. If anyone needs to contact me I'll be over at
    > comp.lang.c++.

    I'm right behind you Mike. OK you guys, the last one out turn off the
    lights. :)
    --
    Joe Wright http://www.jw-wright.com
    --- Albert Einstein ---
    Joe Wright, Oct 29, 2003
  8. Joe Wright <> spoke thus:

    > I'm right behind you Mike. OK you guys, the last one out turn off the
    > lights. :)

    And call free() on all pointers? Heck, I'm going to invoke some undefined
    behavior before I leave... stand back!! ;)

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Oct 30, 2003
  9. E. Robert Tisdale

    Micah Cowan Guest

    Default User <> writes:

    > Ed Morton wrote:
    >
    > > > ERT is a troll, so just ignore him.

    > > I've seen a lot of postings stating that, but until recently I never actually
    > > believed his postings were INTENTIONALLY provocative. This recent outpouring
    > > casts a whole new light though...

    > Just a lack of experience on your part. I'm familiar with his
    > shenanigans from comp.lang.c++. Apparently he got tired of trolling over
    > there and decided to try clc for a while.

    Actually, since I started back up reading the NG a couple months
    ago (due to the enormous amount of free time I currently enjoy
    due to being suddenly unemployed), none of his posts have struck
    me as trolls either. I'd be mildly interested in some references,
    if someone wants to bother with that.

    --
    Micah J. Cowan
    Micah Cowan, Oct 30, 2003
  10. E. Robert Tisdale

    Micah Cowan wrote:

    > Actually, since I started back up reading the NG a couple months
    > ago (due to the enormous amount of free time I currently enjoy
    > due to being suddenly unemployed), none of his posts have struck
    > me as trolls either. I'd be mildly interested in some references,
    > if someone wants to bother with that.

    What kind of references do you need? Is it not obvious from his constant
    assertion that all C code must be written so as to compile as C++? Or
    that compilers will diagnose missing headers because his happens to?

    Do your own research on Trollsdale, groups.google is there for you.

    Brian Rodenborn
    Default User, Oct 30, 2003
  11. E. Robert Tisdale

    Micah Cowan Guest

    > Micah Cowan wrote:
    >
    > > Actually, since I started back up reading the NG a couple months
    > > ago (due to the enormous amount of free time I currently enjoy
    > > due to being suddenly unemployed), none of his posts have struck
    > > me as trolls either. I'd be mildly interested in some references,
    > > if someone wants to bother with that.

    > What kind of references do you need? Is it not obvious from his constant
    > assertion that all C code must be written so as to compile as C++? Or
    > that compilers will diagnose missing headers because his happens to?

    Disseminating incorrect information (unless he actually realizes
    its incorrect and deliberately spreads it for kicks) is not the
    same thing as trolling. Everybody starts with ignorance, it's
    what they do with it. It may be that he has previously come to
    the point of trolling, but not in recent posts that I have read
    (AFAICT).

    As to writing C code that it must be written so as to compile as
    C++, has he actually made the claim that *all* C code should so
    compile? Because if not, Mr. Plauger has also made claims for C
    code that should compile as C++, and while he still hasn't given
    any real reasons for doing so as I'd hoped he would (leaving it
    up to my "limited imagination"), I certainly wouldn't call /him/ a
    troll.

    --
    Micah J. Cowan
    Micah Cowan, Oct 30, 2003
  12. E. Robert Tisdale

    Micah Cowan wrote:

    > Disseminating incorrect information (unless he actually realizes
    > its incorrect and deliberately spreads it for kicks) is not the
    > same thing as trolling. Everybody starts with ignorance, it's
    > what they do with it. It may be that he has previously come to
    > the point of trolling, but not in recent posts that I have read
    > (AFAICT).

    Oh come on. He posts the bad information, argues incessantly with those
    that correct the misinformation, reposts the same bad information again,
    misquotes the Standard to his advantage.

    If you can't see that this is trolling behavior, then there's literally
    nothing I can do to help you. You will have to come to enlightenment
    through your own path.

    Brian Rodenborn
  13. E. Robert Tisdale

    Micah Cowan Guest

    > Micah Cowan wrote:
    >
    > > Disseminating incorrect information (unless he actually realizes
    > > its incorrect and deliberately spreads it for kicks) is not the
    > > same thing as trolling. Everybody starts with ignorance, it's
    > > what they do with it. It may be that he has previously come to
    > > the point of trolling, but not in recent posts that I have read
    > > (AFAICT).

    > Oh come on. He posts the bad information, argues incessantly with those
    > that correct the misinformation, reposts the same bad information again,
    > misquotes the Standard to his advantage.
    >
    > If you can't see that this is trolling behavior, then there's literally
    > nothing I can do to help you.

    I agree that's trolling. I'm saying I haven't seen it yet. I
    trust your judgment enough, though, that I expect to see the
    pattern soon enough.

    --
    Micah J. Cowan
    Micah Cowan, Oct 31, 2003