Why aren't fonts small?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark B, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. Mark B

    Mark B Guest

    Mark B, Mar 10, 2010

  2. Mark B

    Patrice Guest

    Use a tool such as the IE Developer toolbar (which is now part of IE8) or
    Firebug. It will show which styles are used for this text.

    Have you tried also several browsers to see if it's always wrong (in which
    case it's likely your markup) or if it depends upon the browser (in whihc
    case it could be some assumption about what is valid accross browsers) ?

    --
    Patrice

    : OXpF$...

    Patrice, Mar 10, 2010

  3. Mark B

    Scott M. Guest

    The font size for the picture captions is showing smaller than the body text
    for me (IE 8).

    CSS can render with different results for different clients for many
    different reasons. An error in the CSS may be ignored by one client (and
    therefore let the rest of the CSS to be properly interpreted), but another
    client may stop reading the rest of the CSS at the same error.

    I would suggest you start by ensuring your CSS is valid at:
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    In addition, you may want to use the "em" unit of measurement, rather than
    "small" in the first place. An "em" (emphasis unit) maximum value is 1,
    where 1 represents 100% of the parent element's font size. So, if you want
    the font of something to be 20% smaller than its parent element's font size,
    set the font size to: font-size:.8em; (notice that's .8em, not 8em).

    -Scott

    Scott M., Mar 10, 2010