Why aren't my accesskey arguments working?

Larry Lindstrom

Hi again Folks:

I've needed to set my HTML education aside for a couple of weeks.
I'm back on it now.

I'm trying to get accesskey working, as described in HTML dogs "HTML
Advanced - Accessible Forms" page.

Here is the URL:

http://67.171.145.190/htmldog_htdoc...ial/05_accessible_forms/accessible_forms.html

I've run it through HTML validation with not complaints. But the
validation didn't complain when I inadvertently left out the </head> tag.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Larry

Jukka K. Korpela

I'm trying to get accesskey working

It won't work. It's broken by design and by implementations.
But the
validation didn't complain when I inadvertently left out the </head> tag.

That's irrelevant. The said:
What am I doing wrong?

Well, you didn't say what you regard as non-working with accesskey. But
it does not really matter. The accesskey attribute just messes up key
assignments or gets ignored.

BootNic

Larry Lindstrom said:
Hi again Folks:

I've needed to set my HTML education aside for a couple of
weeks. I'm back on it now.

I'm trying to get accesskey working, as described in HTML dogs
"HTML Advanced - Accessible Forms" page.

Here is the URL:

http://67.171.145.190/htmldog_htdoc...ial/05_accessible_forms/accessible_forms.html

[snip]
What am I doing wrong?

The access keys appear to work just fine, providing one knows what they areand
how to use them.

Modified example:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxHTOGjZD9sZeGQ4dmwxdV9MQXM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_key#Access_in_different_browsers

--
BootNic Tue Jul 10, 2012 06:42 pm
Happiness is not something you experience, it's something you remember.

Larry Lindstrom

Larry Lindstrom said:
Hi again Folks:

I've needed to set my HTML education aside for a couple of
weeks. I'm back on it now.

I'm trying to get accesskey working, as described in HTML dogs
"HTML Advanced - Accessible Forms" page.

Here is the URL:

http://67.171.145.190/htmldog_htdoc...ial/05_accessible_forms/accessible_forms.html
[snip]

What am I doing wrong?

The access keys appear to work just fine, providing one knows what they are and
how to use them.

Modified example:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxHTOGjZD9sZeGQ4dmwxdV9MQXM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_key#Access_in_different_browsers
Thanks BootNic:

Ok, my access keys do work.

I didn't realize the <ALT> + <LEFT SHIFT> was the escape to get it
to work in Firefox.

I appreciate your effort to assist me.

Larry

Larry Lindstrom

It won't work. It's broken by design and by implementations.

Well, you didn't say what you regard as non-working with accesskey. But
it does not really matter. The accesskey attribute just messes up key
assignments or gets ignored.

Thanks Jukka:

I didn't realize Firefox required <ALT> + <LEFT SHIFT>.

What are these "key assignments" you're referring to? I'm not
finding much googling "HTML key assignments".

I appreciate your response.

Larry

Jukka K. Korpela

I didn't realize Firefox required <ALT> + <LEFT SHIFT>.

When you, as an author who has coded your page to use accesskey
attributes, did not know that, how many users do you expect to know how
to use key combinations as "access keys"?

Assuming a user belongs to the small minority who knows about such
possibilities in general, how is he supposed to know about specific
access key assignments on a page?
What are these "key assignments" you're referring to? I'm not
finding much googling "HTML key assignments".

Browsers and other programs have their own "shortcut" key assignments.

For example, using IE, I can open the "Näytä" (that's Finnish for
"View") menu by using <ALT> + <N>. That's nice, especially when I have
difficulties with using the mouse but can use the keyboard. But when
visiting a page that has accesskey="n", <ALT> + <N> causes the
page-specific action. (OK, I *can* still use the IE shortcut, but for
this, I need to press first <ALT>, then <N>, instead of using them
together. I wonder how many users have any idea of this.)

Accesskey attributes are generally *bad* for accessibility.