    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks
    Larry
    Larry Lindstrom, Jul 10, 2012

  2. 2012-07-10 21:57, Larry Lindstrom wrote:

    > I'm trying to get accesskey working

    It won't work. It's broken by design and by implementations.

    > But the
    > validation didn't complain when I inadvertently left out the </head> tag.

    That's irrelevant. The </head> is optional, unless you play by XML rules.

    > What am I doing wrong?

    Well, you didn't say what you regard as non-working with accesskey. But
    it does not really matter. The accesskey attribute just messes up key
    assignments or gets ignored.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 10, 2012

  3. Larry Lindstrom

    BootNic Guest

    In article <jthu09$9rp$>,
    Larry Lindstrom <> wrote:

    > Hi again Folks:
    >
    > I've needed to set my HTML education aside for a couple of
    > weeks. I'm back on it now.
    >
    > I'm trying to get accesskey working, as described in HTML dogs
    > "HTML Advanced - Accessible Forms" page.
    >
    > Here is the URL:
    >
    > http://67.171.145.190/htmldog_htdoc...ial/05_accessible_forms/accessible_forms.html

    [snip]

    > What am I doing wrong?

    The access keys appear to work just fine, providing one knows what they areand
    how to use them.

    Modified example:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxHTOGjZD9sZeGQ4dmwxdV9MQXM

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_key#Access_in_different_browsers

    --
    BootNic Tue Jul 10, 2012 06:42 pm
    Happiness is not something you experience, it's something you remember.

    BootNic, Jul 10, 2012
  4. On 7/10/2012 3:42 PM, BootNic wrote:
    > In article <jthu09$9rp$>,
    > Larry Lindstrom <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi again Folks:
    >>
    >> I've needed to set my HTML education aside for a couple of
    >> weeks. I'm back on it now.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to get accesskey working, as described in HTML dogs
    >> "HTML Advanced - Accessible Forms" page.
    >>
    >> Here is the URL:
    >>
    >> http://67.171.145.190/htmldog_htdoc...ial/05_accessible_forms/accessible_forms.html

    > [snip]
    >
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    > The access keys appear to work just fine, providing one knows what they are and
    > how to use them.
    >
    > Modified example:
    > https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxHTOGjZD9sZeGQ4dmwxdV9MQXM
    >
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_key#Access_in_different_browsers >

    Thanks BootNic:

    Ok, my access keys do work.

    I didn't realize the <ALT> + <LEFT SHIFT> was the escape to get it
    to work in Firefox.

    I appreciate your effort to assist me.

    Larry
    Larry Lindstrom, Jul 11, 2012
  5. On 7/10/2012 12:41 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 2012-07-10 21:57, Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to get accesskey working

    > It won't work. It's broken by design and by implementations.
    >
    >> But the
    >> validation didn't complain when I inadvertently left out the </head> tag.

    > That's irrelevant. The </head> is optional, unless you play by XML rules.
    >
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    > Well, you didn't say what you regard as non-working with accesskey. But
    > it does not really matter. The accesskey attribute just messes up key
    > assignments or gets ignored.

    Thanks Jukka:

    I didn't realize Firefox required <ALT> + <LEFT SHIFT>.

    What are these "key assignments" you're referring to? I'm not
    finding much googling "HTML key assignments".

    I appreciate your response.

    Larry
    Larry Lindstrom, Jul 11, 2012
  6. 2012-07-11 5:56, Larry Lindstrom wrote:

    > I didn't realize Firefox required <ALT> + <LEFT SHIFT>.

    When you, as an author who has coded your page to use accesskey
    attributes, did not know that, how many users do you expect to know how
    to use key combinations as "access keys"?

    Assuming a user belongs to the small minority who knows about such
    possibilities in general, how is he supposed to know about specific
    access key assignments on a page?

    > What are these "key assignments" you're referring to? I'm not
    > finding much googling "HTML key assignments".

    Browsers and other programs have their own "shortcut" key assignments.

    For example, using IE, I can open the "Näytä" (that's Finnish for
    "View") menu by using <ALT> + <N>. That's nice, especially when I have
    difficulties with using the mouse but can use the keyboard. But when
    visiting a page that has accesskey="n", <ALT> + <N> causes the
    page-specific action. (OK, I *can* still use the IE shortcut, but for
    this, I need to press first <ALT>, then <N>, instead of using them
    together. I wonder how many users have any idea of this.)

    Accesskey attributes are generally *bad* for accessibility.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 11, 2012