why arrary with size of zero?

Mockey Chen

I saw some library code wrote like this:

struct X{
int x;
char y[0]; /* Note: here array size is ZERO, why? */
};

Why use array size zero. I heard about the C standard
not allow array with size zero, but my gcc tell me I can
compile this code without error or warning.

One give me explaination this trick can used for dynamic
memory, for example:
size_t bufsize;
struct X* px = NULL;
px = (struct X*)malloc(sizeof(struct X) + bufsize);
in this way, we can gain a X and additional bufsize in once
malloc invoke. Does this correct?

Another question is whether this code portable?

Any help is appreciated.

--
Regards.
Mockey Chen

Christopher Benson-Manica

Mockey Chen said:
struct X{
int x;
char y[0]; /* Note: here array size is ZERO, why? */
};

It's a nonportable hack, at best. It is almost, but not quite, the
"struct hack" that is also nonportable but nevertheless widely used.

Why use array size zero. I heard about the C standard
not allow array with size zero, but my gcc tell me I can
compile this code without error or warning.

You're not invoking it in strictly conforming mode. Use gcc -Wall
-ansi -pedantic and you will see that it does, indeed, warn you that
it is a nonstandard construct.

Clark S. Cox III

Mockey Chen said:
struct X{
int x;
char y[0]; /* Note: here array size is ZERO, why? */
};

It's a nonportable hack, at best. It is almost, but not quite, the
"struct hack" that is also nonportable but nevertheless widely used.

Though, note that with C99, the following is legal (basically a
legalization of the struct hack):

#include <stdlib.h>

struct X {
int x;
char y[]; //Note empty brackets
};

struct X *allocateX(int count)
{
struct X *result = malloc(count + sizeof *result);
if(result)
{
result->x = count;
}
return result;
}

int main()
{
struct X *x_ptr;

if(x_ptr = allocateX(20))
{
//I can treat x_ptr->y basically as if it were an array of 20 char's
x_ptr->y[19] = 'a';
}

return 0;