    6 months?

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Travis Newbury

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > "Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
    > This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Jun 9, 2:22 am)."
    >
    > What benefit is it to the group if you don't archive your reply?

    Use a real newsreader -- then you can set it to archive messages for
    however long you like.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jun 2, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    > > "Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
    > > This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Jun 9, 2:22 am)."
    > >
    > > What benefit is it to the group if you don't archive your reply?

    > Use a real newsreader -- then you can set it to archive messages for
    > however long you like.

    Is it practical for an offline newsreader to archive posts for 20 years?

    --
    Hywel

    Kill the Crazy Frog
    http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/
    Hywel Jenkins, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Travis Newbury

    Greg Schmidt Guest

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:29:49 +0100, Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    >> "Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
    >> This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Jun 9, 2:22 am)."
    >>
    >> What benefit is it to the group if you don't archive your reply?

    > Use a real newsreader -- then you can set it to archive messages for
    > however long you like.

    And if I go on vacation for a week, so that the post has expired both
    from my news provider's queue and from Google? Or if I, for whatever
    reason, don't realize that I'm interested in the post until some later
    date (e.g. for all those people who will discover this group a week or a
    month or a year from now)?

    --
    Greg Schmidt
    Trawna Publications http://trawna.com/
    Greg Schmidt, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Travis Newbury

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Travis Newbury" <>
    > Subject: why bother replying at all?
    >
    > Hey, why do people do this?
    >
    > "Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
    > This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Jun 9, 2:22 am)."

    There could be lots of reasons. Some may be quite personal. Deep are the
    emotions surrounding alt.html. May I suggest you study some of the Greek
    Tragedies. There is Shame and Humiliation, there is Revenge and Spite and
    well, it goes on and on...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 2, 2005
  6. Travis Newbury

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > Is it practical for an offline newsreader to archive posts for 20 years?

    For a small number of non-binary groups, on modern hard drives -- why not?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jun 2, 2005
  7. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >
    >>Is it practical for an offline newsreader to archive posts for 20 years?

    > [...] on modern hard drives [...]

    The kind that breaks easily, you mean?
    Leif K-Brooks, Jun 2, 2005
  8. On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:27:22 +0100, in alt.html Hywel Jenkins
    <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Travis Newbury wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
    > > > This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Jun 9, 2:22 am)."
    > > >
    > > > What benefit is it to the group if you don't archive your reply?

    > > Use a real newsreader -- then you can set it to archive messages for
    > > however long you like.

    > Is it practical for an offline newsreader to archive posts for 20 years?

    Despite two hard drive crashes, I still have messages in my Agent database from
    the early 90s...
    William Hughes, Jun 3, 2005
  9. Travis Newbury

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> [...] on modern hard drives [...]

    > The kind that breaks easily, you mean?

    That's what backups are for.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jun 3, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:27:22 +0100, in alt.html Hywel Jenkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > > > Use a real newsreader -- then you can set it to archive messages for
    > > > however long you like.

    > > Is it practical for an offline newsreader to archive posts for 20 years?

    > Despite two hard drive crashes, I still have messages in my Agent database from
    > the early 90s...

    Not for every group, though.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jun 3, 2005