Why browser stop responding to this code?

Charles Packer

I'm not sure whether this is a Javascript or HTML issue.
Whatever it is, it's too advanced for my current Web-authoring
knowledge:

When using Google Groups to read a Usenet posting, the Opera
browser no longer responds to "More options/Hide options" toggle.
The failure actually has been intermittent over the last couple
of years while my Opera and Linux configurations have remained
the same. So I've always assumed it was Google's fault as a
result of poor configuration management. The relevant source code
(when options are hidden) is this:

id="oh_l">More options</span></span>

What it's supposed to do is, basically, toggle between maximum and
minimum headers, as is shown in these screen shots provided
by a U.K. Opera user for whom the feature still works:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=339hgk8&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=e9jb78&s=4

I emphasize that I haven't made any changes to my configuration, but
the feature worked earlier and now it doesn't work. Therefore
it must be something that Google has done. Another U.S. user has
the same problem, and he's running a different version of Opera
under Windows. Neither of us is running the very latest version
of Opera, though. What are the odds that if I just upgrade to
the latest version of Opera, the problem will be solved, and
if so -- because I'm so curious -- how?

Chaddy2222

Charles said:
[...]

Take a look at this validation report from the W3C Validator.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

Chaddy2222

Travis said:
I am sure you could not have been surprised over this revelation...
Yeah, but almost 600 errors though! I think good old Google are
getting werse and not better.
Oh and XHTML trans? why bother when HTML 4.01 Strict works better in
just about all cases (if not all) it is like they just slapped it up
their and went "bugger it that will do".

Dr J R Stockton

When using Google Groups to read a Usenet posting, the Opera
browser no longer responds to "More options/Hide options" toggle.

What are the odds that if I just upgrade to
the latest version of Opera, the problem will be solved, and
if so -- because I'm so curious -- how?

Fairly unfavourable, since it does not work for me in Opera 9.27 or
9.51 (on XP sp3), the latest I know of. It does work in IE 7, Safari
3.0.1, Firefox 2.0.0.16, Firefox 3.0.1.

John H Meyers

When using Google Groups to read a Usenet posting, the Opera
browser no longer responds to "More options/Hide options" toggle.

It seems to be "one way" (expand), rather than toggle,
but finally an obvious work-around occurred to me:

Disable Javascript, then redisplay;
_all_ messages now show the "more options."

Raymond SCHMIT

[...]

Have you tried SeaMonkey ?