Why browser stop responding to this code?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Charles Packer, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. I'm not sure whether this is a Javascript or HTML issue.
    Whatever it is, it's too advanced for my current Web-authoring
    knowledge:

    When using Google Groups to read a Usenet posting, the Opera
    browser no longer responds to "More options/Hide options" toggle.
    The failure actually has been intermittent over the last couple
    of years while my Opera and Linux configurations have remained
    the same. So I've always assumed it was Google's fault as a
    result of poor configuration management. The relevant source code
    (when options are hidden) is this:

    id="oh_l">More options</span></span>

    What it's supposed to do is, basically, toggle between maximum and
    minimum headers, as is shown in these screen shots provided
    by a U.K. Opera user for whom the feature still works:

    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=339hgk8&s=4
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=e9jb78&s=4

    I emphasize that I haven't made any changes to my configuration, but
    the feature worked earlier and now it doesn't work. Therefore
    it must be something that Google has done. Another U.S. user has
    the same problem, and he's running a different version of Opera
    under Windows. Neither of us is running the very latest version
    of Opera, though. What are the odds that if I just upgrade to
    the latest version of Opera, the problem will be solved, and
    if so -- because I'm so curious -- how?

    --
    Charles Packer
    http://cpacker.org/whatnews

    Charles Packer, Aug 12, 2008

  2. Charles Packer

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Charles Packer wrote:

    > I'm not sure whether this is a Javascript or HTML issue.
    > Whatever it is, it's too advanced for my current Web-authoring
    > knowledge:
    >
    > When using Google Groups to read a Usenet posting, the Opera
    > browser no longer responds to "More options/Hide options" toggle.
    > The failure actually has been intermittent over the last couple
    > of years while my Opera and Linux configurations have remained
    > the same. So I've always assumed it was Google's fault as a
    > result of poor configuration management. The relevant source code
    > (when options are hidden) is this:

    > id="oh_l">More options</span></span>
    >
    > What it's supposed to do is, basically, toggle between maximum and
    > minimum headers, as is shown in these screen shots provided
    > by a U.K. Opera user for whom the feature still works:
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=339hgk8&s=4
    > http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=e9jb78&s=4
    >
    > I emphasize that I haven't made any changes to my configuration, but
    > the feature worked earlier and now it doesn't work. Therefore
    > it must be something that Google has done. Another U.S. user has
    > the same problem, and he's running a different version of Opera
    > under Windows. Neither of us is running the very latest version
    > of Opera, though. What are the odds that if I just upgrade to
    > the latest version of Opera, the problem will be solved, and
    > if so -- because I'm so curious -- how?

    Take a look at this validation report from the W3C Validator.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

    Chaddy2222, Aug 12, 2008

  3. Travis Newbury, Aug 12, 2008
  4. Charles Packer

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > On Aug 12, 11:53�am, Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
    > > wrote:
    > > Take a look at this validation report from the W3C Validator.http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://groups.google.com.au&c...

    > I am sure you could not have been surprised over this revelation...

    Yeah, but almost 600 errors though! I think good old Google are
    getting werse and not better.
    Oh and XHTML trans? why bother when HTML 4.01 Strict works better in
    just about all cases (if not all) it is like they just slapped it up
    their and went "bugger it that will do".

    Chaddy2222, Aug 12, 2008
  5. On Aug 12, 3:49 pm, Charles Packer <> wrote:

    > When using Google Groups to read a Usenet posting, the Opera
    > browser no longer responds to "More options/Hide options" toggle.

    What are the odds that if I just upgrade to
    > the latest version of Opera, the problem will be solved, and
    > if so -- because I'm so curious -- how?

    Fairly unfavourable, since it does not work for me in Opera 9.27 or
    9.51 (on XP sp3), the latest I know of. It does work in IE 7, Safari
    3.0.1, Firefox 2.0.0.16, Firefox 3.0.1.

    --
    (c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Posting with Google.
    Mail: J.R.""""""""@physics.org or (better) via Home Page at

    Dr J R Stockton, Aug 12, 2008
  6. On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:49:17 -0500, Charles Packer wrote:

    > When using Google Groups to read a Usenet posting, the Opera
    > browser no longer responds to "More options/Hide options" toggle.

    It seems to be "one way" (expand), rather than toggle,
    but finally an obvious work-around occurred to me:

    Disable Javascript, then redisplay;
    _all_ messages now show the "more options."

    John H Meyers, Aug 12, 2008
  7. On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:49:17 -0700 (PDT), Charles Packer
    <> wrote:

    >I'm not sure whether this is a Javascript or HTML issue.
    >Whatever it is, it's too advanced for my current Web-authoring
    >knowledge:
    >
    >When using Google Groups to read a Usenet posting, the Opera
    >browser no longer responds to "More options/Hide options" toggle.
    >The failure actually has been intermittent over the last couple
    >of years while my Opera and Linux configurations have remained
    >the same. So I've always assumed it was Google's fault as a
    >result of poor configuration management. The relevant source code
    >(when options are hidden) is this:

    >id="oh_l">More options</span></span>
    >
    >What it's supposed to do is, basically, toggle between maximum and
    >minimum headers, as is shown in these screen shots provided
    >by a U.K. Opera user for whom the feature still works:
    >
    >http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=339hgk8&s=4
    >http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=e9jb78&s=4
    >
    >I emphasize that I haven't made any changes to my configuration, but
    >the feature worked earlier and now it doesn't work. Therefore
    >it must be something that Google has done. Another U.S. user has
    >the same problem, and he's running a different version of Opera
    >under Windows. Neither of us is running the very latest version
    >of Opera, though. What are the odds that if I just upgrade to
    >the latest version of Opera, the problem will be solved, and
    >if so -- because I'm so curious -- how?

    Have you tried SeaMonkey ?

    Raymond SCHMIT, Aug 12, 2008