    I heard it can be that some browsers can add a %20 properly, and some
    cant, im curious to this info as to what browsers this can ocour on.,
    thanks.

    Edison Carter, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Edison Carter

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Edison Carter said...

    > A website that I went to, i clicked on a small thumbnail image for the
    > larger image gave me a 404 not found, i told the webmaster and he said
    > it worked fine for him and he had someone else try it and it worked,
    > but i had someone try and it 404'd for them also..
    >
    > the thumbnail was linked to a jpg with spaces in the directory and
    > filename.. i know that has to be the problem, but whats the cause.?

    Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax
    2.4.3. Excluded US-ASCII Characters
    The space character is excluded because significant spaces may
    disappear and insignificant spaces may be introduced when URI are
    transcribed or typeset or subjected to the treatment of word-
    processing programs. Whitespace is also used to delimit URI in many
    contexts.

    E. Recommendations for Delimiting URI in Context
    [...]
    In some cases, extra whitespace (spaces, linebreaks, tabs, etc.) may
    need to be added to break long URI across lines. The whitespace
    should be ignored when extracting the URI.
    [...]
    For robustness, software that accepts user-typed URI should attempt
    to recognize and strip both delimiters and embedded whitespace.

    Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

    thats basically the main points. the RFC has more on spaces if you
    want to read it.

    if you want to use spaces in file names URL etc - don't. if you really
    think you must then still don't. if your life depends on it use the
    escaped encoding of %20 and accept it will not always work.

    --
    30/September/2003 04:52:27 pm

    brucie, Sep 30, 2003