why can't I access SessionState from custom HttpHandler?

Ralf Müller

hi all!

in my custom HttpHandler HttpContext.Current.Session is not set - why?

greetings, ralf

Guest

The SessionState is handled by an HttpHandler, and it's possible that your
HttpHandler is called before the SessionState HttpHandler.

By implents the IRequiresSessionState (marker interface), you prevent your
HttpHandler to be called before the SessionState HttpHanlder, and so you can
use the session.

Matt Berther

Hello Cyril S.,

And if you only require read only session state, you implement IReadOnlySessionState
instead of IRequireSessionState.