    verification?

    So do protected types count as a half implemented feature of VHDL?
    (otherwise I love them, and use them lots for data flow modelling).
    Tricky, Feb 9, 2012

  2. Tricky

    JimLewis Guest

    Protected types are intended to guarantee atomic access to any
    internal data structure. If a subprogram returned a pointer to
    the internal data structure, atomic access can no longer be
    guaranteed.

    Can you share a use model for which you would like to use it.
    Use models are part of any change request.

    Arrays of protected types and pointers to them would be
    interesting. Again, it would be helpful to share a
    use model.

    > So do protected types count as a half implemented feature of VHDL?

    With all things VHDL, the initial introduction of a feature
    is often done conservatively. I suspect there are a number
    of things here that need to change. I started sketching
    out some of things I see as problematic:
    http://www.eda.org/twiki/bin/view.cgi/P1076/ProtectedTypeUpdates

    Anyone doing interesting things with protected types should
    join the language committee. At least participate by
    writing up or contributing to proposals on the TWIKI.

    If you do not have a TWIKI account yet, send an email directly
    to me and I will get you set up. Feel free to either add your
    own separate proposal or start adding stuff under the one
    for Protected Types that I started.

    Jim
    JimLewis, Feb 10, 2012