why choose .net ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by brazen, Apr 26, 2007.

  1. brazen

    brazen Guest

    Hi there,

    We need to retrospectively justify our choice in using .NET framework
    for developing our site. Our techie isnt here so we cant run it past
    him. Can some kind, helpful person run their eye over it and tell me
    if I'm tellling porkies, or if there is anything I should add?

    Why should people choose .net (I think ours is 1.1)

    Thanks

    ******************
    We recognised that in order to meet our aims of producing a high
    quality and consistent website, we had to ensure that our system was
    fast, robust and able to deal with a high number of users.

    We chose .NET framework so that we could meet these needs now, but
    also so that we could best account for any future developments in a
    cost effective manner. This has proved the case, in that with our
    Stage 2 developments we will be implementing a forum system.
    Using .NET has meant that we can integrate new modules with ease.
    With .NET's cross-platform interconnectivity, we feel that we have
    chosen the best approach for future-proofing.
    brazen, Apr 26, 2007

  2. brazen

    Mark Rae Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message

    > We need to retrospectively justify our choice in using .NET framework

    > Why should people choose .net (I think ours is 1.1)

    Well, for a start, if you're still using v1.1, you're about 18 months out of
    date...

    > We recognised that in order to meet our aims of producing a high
    > quality and consistent website, we had to ensure that our system was
    > fast, robust and able to deal with a high number of users.

    That's more an argument for using a big webserver rather than the software
    installed on it...

    > Using .NET has meant that we can integrate new modules with ease.

    No doubt, but that in itself isn't really a justification for .NET - if
    you'd started off with JSP, you could have just as easily integrated other
    JSP modules...

    > With .NET's cross-platform interconnectivity

    Er, what...? .NET runs on Windows. There is a version called Mono which can
    be installed on other platforms, but it only runs properly on Windows...
    Mark Rae, Apr 27, 2007

  3. stop multi-posting please, choose a newsgroup and post then WAIT for the
    response.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Apr 27, 2007
  4. "brazen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > We need to retrospectively justify our choice in using .NET framework
    > for developing our site. Our techie isnt here so we cant run it past
    > him. Can some kind, helpful person run their eye over it and tell me
    > if I'm tellling porkies, or if there is anything I should add?
    >
    > Why should people choose .net (I think ours is 1.1)
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > ******************
    > We recognised that in order to meet our aims of producing a high
    > quality and consistent website, we had to ensure that our system was
    > fast, robust and able to deal with a high number of users.

    This a design issue, and a poorly designed system in any platform choice
    will perform badly. If your using this argument you'll need to reinforce it
    with reasons about why .net will give you this.

    > We chose .NET framework so that we could meet these needs now, but
    > also so that we could best account for any future developments in a
    > cost effective manner.

    How? Would be my next question if this was an interview scenario! You dont
    mention any of the benefits of the designer tools, reduced time to market,
    common libraries, extensibility, open source test harnesses, integration
    with other MS tools/products .net 2.0/3 - Orcas etc. etc.

    This has proved the case, in that with our
    > Stage 2 developments we will be implementing a forum system.
    > Using .NET has meant that we can integrate new modules with ease.
    > With .NET's cross-platform interconnectivity, we feel that we have
    > chosen the best approach for future-proofing.

    If your after cross platform, you'd be better off with PHP, which has
    excellent cross platform support and a gazzillion forums already created and
    available for free.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)