Why comes J2EE v5 only with an installer? Is v5 portable/installable on an USB stick ?

Jason Stacy

I downloaded v5 of J2EE from SUNs website.
I noticed that all downloads were offered as installers no zip-only variant is available.

What environment variables does the installer set?

Which services does the installer setup?

Is there really no zip version?

What, if I want to install J2EE on an USB stick?
Can I run it on a different computer as well?

J.

Roedy Green

What, if I want to install J2EE on an USB stick?

Seriously? I suppose you could just tell the installer to install on
your K: drive, and use a tool like RegMon to track what the installer
does to the registry. Then you could cook up some sort of installer of
your own to use when you moved the stick. What a lot of work!. I don't
see the point of the stick. You could just use it to carry the
download about and run Sun's install.

Arne Vajhøj

Jason said:
I downloaded v5 of J2EE from SUNs website.
I noticed that all downloads were offered as installers no zip-only variant is available.

What environment variables does the installer set?

Which services does the installer setup?

Is there really no zip version?

What, if I want to install J2EE on an USB stick?
Can I run it on a different computer as well?

You can copy the SDK part around as you want.

For a server then pick a server that comes as zip.

Such exist.

Arne