why do I need to enable "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" to see anapplet?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mark_Galeck, Oct 17, 2008.

  1. Mark_Galeck

    Mark_Galeck Guest

    Hello,

    from what I've been taught in school, applets are "safe", in that
    they
    cannot modify the data on the target computer, so one can go to a
    website and see an applet and there should be no security issues with
    that. This is the whole concept and appeal of applets.

    However, I have a sample applet on my website markgaleck.com, it is
    very simple, it just displays "foo". I want everybody to be able to
    see it without any problems. HOW??

    In order to see it under IE7, I have to enable "Run ActiveX Controls
    and plug-ins" in the security options. Then I see it. If I don't
    enable this, I don't see it.

    WHY?? This is an applet, does not do anything to your computer, does
    not have anything to do with any ActiveX controls or plug-ins.

    Is this my fault or is this MS IE fault or what? I would really like
    to make an applet that anybody can see, even an idiot that does not
    know anything about security settings. Anybody. HOW to do this??

    Thank you for any insight.

    Mark

    Mark_Galeck, Oct 17, 2008

  2. Re: why do I need to enable "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" tosee an applet?

    On Oct 17, 1:54 pm, Mark_Galeck <>
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > from what I've been taught in school, applets are "safe", in that
    > they
    > cannot modify the data on the target computer, so one can go to a
    > website and see an applet and there should be no security issues with
    > that.  This is the whole concept and appeal of applets.
    >
    > However, I have a sample applet on my website markgaleck.com, it is
    > very simple, it just displays "foo".  I want everybody to be able to
    > see it without any problems.  HOW??
    >
    > In order to see it under IE7, I have to enable "Run ActiveX Controls
    > and plug-ins" in the security options.  Then I see it.  If I don't
    > enable this, I don't see it.
    >
    > WHY??

    Microsoft. It's lawyers and tactics.

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 17, 2008

  3. Mark_Galeck

    Qu0ll Guest

    "Mark_Galeck" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > from what I've been taught in school, applets are "safe", in that
    > they
    > cannot modify the data on the target computer, so one can go to a
    > website and see an applet and there should be no security issues with
    > that. This is the whole concept and appeal of applets.
    >

    > However, I have a sample applet on my website markgaleck.com, it is
    > very simple, it just displays "foo". I want everybody to be able to
    > see it without any problems. HOW??
    >

    > In order to see it under IE7, I have to enable "Run ActiveX Controls
    > and plug-ins" in the security options. Then I see it. If I don't
    > enable this, I don't see it.
    >

    > WHY?? This is an applet, does not do anything to your computer, does
    > not have anything to do with any ActiveX controls or plug-ins.
    >

    > Is this my fault or is this MS IE fault or what? I would really like
    > to make an applet that anybody can see, even an idiot that does not
    > know anything about security settings. Anybody. HOW to do this??

    Are you testing the applet by running it on your local machine? Try
    googling "Mark of the Web".

    --
    And loving it,

    -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

    Qu0ll, Oct 17, 2008
  4. Re: why do I need to enable "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" tosee an applet?

    Mark_Galeck wrote:
    > In order to see it under IE7, I have to enable "Run ActiveX Controls
    > and plug-ins" in the security options. Then I see it. If I don't
    > enable this, I don't see it.

    Because if you want to do business with organized crime (viz.,
    Microsoft), this is the price you pay.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "Never try to take over the international economy based on a radical

    John W Kennedy, Oct 17, 2008
  5. Re: why do I need to enable "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" to see an applet?

    John W Kennedy <> wrote:
    > Mark_Galeck wrote:
    >> In order to see it under IE7, I have to enable "Run ActiveX Controls
    >> and plug-ins" in the security options. Then I see it. If I don't
    >> enable this, I don't see it.

    > Because if you want to do business with organized crime (viz.,
    > Microsoft), this is the price you pay.

    As much as I like bashing M$, this isn't the right time.

    Even plugins are never bug-free, despite their design-goals, and this
    is one thing they (M$) made good: allow the users to judge the risk
    themselves, and not confront them with full risk by default.

    Andreas Leitgeb, Oct 17, 2008
  6. Mark_Galeck

    Mark Space Guest

    Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
    > John W Kennedy <> wrote:
    >> Mark_Galeck wrote:
    >>> In order to see it under IE7, I have to enable "Run ActiveX Controls
    >>> and plug-ins" in the security options. Then I see it. If I don't
    >>> enable this, I don't see it.

    >> Because if you want to do business with organized crime (viz.,
    >> Microsoft), this is the price you pay.

    > As much as I like bashing M$, this isn't the right time.
    >
    > Even plugins are never bug-free, despite their design-goals, and this
    > is one thing they (M$) made good: allow the users to judge the risk
    > themselves, and not confront them with full risk by default.

    True. The best plug-in for Fire Fox is No-Script, which disables all
    scripts on all pages until you specifically ok them. Makes most
    browsing faster, and also does prevent the occasional malware or buggy
    mess. Not to mention blaring music or seizure inducing advert.

    The best recourse for the OP is just to write HTML that asks the user to
    enable JavaScript if they wish to view the applet. Then have the applet
    overwrite that message when it runs successfully.

    Mark Space, Oct 17, 2008
  7. Mark_Galeck

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Mark_Galeck wrote:
    > from what I've been taught in school, applets are "safe", in that
    > they
    > cannot modify the data on the target computer, so one can go to a
    > website and see an applet and there should be no security issues with
    > that. This is the whole concept and appeal of applets.
    >
    > However, I have a sample applet on my website markgaleck.com, it is
    > very simple, it just displays "foo". I want everybody to be able to
    > see it without any problems. HOW??
    >
    > In order to see it under IE7, I have to enable "Run ActiveX Controls
    > and plug-ins" in the security options. Then I see it. If I don't
    > enable this, I don't see it.
    >
    > WHY?? This is an applet, does not do anything to your computer, does
    > not have anything to do with any ActiveX controls or plug-ins.
    >
    > Is this my fault or is this MS IE fault or what? I would really like
    > to make an applet that anybody can see, even an idiot that does not
    > know anything about security settings. Anybody. HOW to do this??

    My understanding is that MSIE only allows ActiveX plugins and
    that Java applet plugin is implemented as an ActiveX plugin.

    Applet .class/.jar---(applet API)---Java plugin .dll---(ActiveX API)---MSIE

    If my understanding is correct, then it makes sense what you are seeing.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 18, 2008
  8. Re: why do I need to enable "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" to see an applet?

    Mark Space <> wrote in news:gdag6d$ouq$1
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    > The best recourse for the OP is just to write HTML that asks the user to
    > enable JavaScript if they wish to view the applet. Then have the applet
    > overwrite that message when it runs successfully.

    Enable JavaScript? For an applet?

    Donkey Hottie, Oct 18, 2008
  9. Mark_Galeck

    Mark Space Guest

    Donkey Hottie wrote:
    > Mark Space <> wrote in news:gdag6d$ouq$1
    > @registered.motzarella.org:
    >
    >> The best recourse for the OP is just to write HTML that asks the user to
    >> enable JavaScript if they wish to view the applet. Then have the applet
    >> overwrite that message when it runs successfully.
    >>

    > Enable JavaScript? For an applet?

    Yes, almost every modern applet I've seen in the last year has some sort
    of dynamic interaction with the web page that's done with JavaScript.
    It's just the direction modern pages are going.

    You don't have to use JavaScript just for the applet itself of course,
    but if you want it to do interact with the page, or you want to
    dynamically pass parameters or other configuration, JavaScript is
    required. Consequently, most applets don't run at all with out their
    JavaScript kicker nowadays.

    Mark Space, Oct 18, 2008
  10. Mark_Galeck

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: why do I need to enable "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" to see an applet?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:54:12 -0700 (PDT), Mark_Galeck
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >from what I've been taught in school, applets are "safe", in that
    >they
    >cannot modify the data on the target computer, so one can go to a
    >website and see an applet and there should be no security issues with
    >that. This is the whole concept and appeal of applets.

    That is correct. However Microsoft has been doing everything it could
    from day 1 to derail Java. This is its latest salvo. They do this
    because Microsoft's strategy is to lock users and developers into
    quirky Microsoft OSes and languages. Java lets programs developed for
    Windows run elsewhere, including Sun hardware, and mainframes.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Oct 19, 2008
  11. Mark_Galeck

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > On 2008-10-19, Roedy Green <> wrote:
    >> That is correct. However Microsoft has been doing everything it could
    >> from day 1 to derail Java. This is its latest salvo. They do this
    >> because Microsoft's strategy is to lock users and developers into
    >> quirky Microsoft OSes and languages. Java lets programs developed for
    >> Windows run elsewhere, including Sun hardware, and mainframes.

    > Isn't it more likely that the Java plugin uses ActiveX technology, that being
    > pretty much the only way you can embed stuff in IE?

    Much more.

    But why let facts get in the way for some MS bashing.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 19, 2008
  12. Re: why do I need to enable "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" tosee an applet?

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > On 2008-10-19, Roedy Green <> wrote:
    >
    >> That is correct. However Microsoft has been doing everything it could
    >> from day 1 to derail Java. This is its latest salvo. They do this
    >> because Microsoft's strategy is to lock users and developers into
    >> quirky Microsoft OSes and languages. Java lets programs developed for
    >> Windows run elsewhere, including Sun hardware, and mainframes.

    > Isn't it more likely that the Java plugin uses ActiveX technology, that being
    > pretty much the only way you can embed stuff in IE?

    Hey, why should IE plug-ins be allowed to use the de-facto standard
    browser plug-in API? Anyone who has the effrontery to support non-MS
    software needs to be punished!

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The grand art mastered the thudding hammer of Thor

    John W Kennedy, Oct 20, 2008
  13. Mark_Galeck

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:54:12 -0700 (PDT), Mark_Galeck
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >>from what I've been taught in school, applets are "safe", in that
    >> they
    >> cannot modify the data on the target computer, so one can go to a
    >> website and see an applet and there should be no security issues with
    >> that. This is the whole concept and appeal of applets.

    > That is correct. However Microsoft has been doing everything it could
    > from day 1 to derail Java. This is its latest salvo. They do this
    > because Microsoft's strategy is to lock users and developers into
    > quirky Microsoft OSes and languages. Java lets programs developed for
    > Windows run elsewhere, including Sun hardware, and mainframes.

    The changes in IE affect all ActiveX components not just Java applet
    plugin.

    So it is not an action specifically against Java.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 26, 2008