Why do I sometimes get empty aspx responses?

Ricky K. Rasmussen

Hi NG,

In a very large ASP.NET application i use popups for displaying diffrent
kinds of dialogs.

But sometimes when a Popup is opened it's like the aspx page is never
executed and the popup is "empty". Containing only the following HTML (maybe
it's IE that generates this because the page is empty, I can't tell):

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

Has anyone experienced something like this?
Is this maybe a bug in IE?

I might add that I open the popup using the window.open() function without
giving the dialogs an ID, since opening a window with an ID is needlessly
slow.

Thanks for your time,
Ricky

Ricky K. Rasmussen

No error what so ever... Only an empty page.
So far we've learned to live with it, but it's becomming a big issue for us.

And even more strange: When we get "The empty Page" it's not enough to
refresh the empty dialog.
We have to refresh the page that opens up the dialog and the try to open it
again.

Could it be because of server load?

/ricky

Patrice

What entry do you have in the IIS log for these pages ? Especially the http
status code is ok ? For now i can only think of some problem that would be
caught but not handled server side resulting in a missing body ??? Does it
look like you have only the HTML code but not server side controls ? I would
add for example some static HTML code after the body but before the form tag
to make sure it is my static html code that shows up.

If yes, it's likely a server side problem when server side controls are
processed (session expired ?)...

Good luck.

Patrice

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Ricky,

I think the "SmartNavigation" is a reasonable suggestions. In ASP.NET there
is a known issue for pages which has enabled smartNavigation. When the page
is enabled smartNavigation, when we make a client redirect on the page,
open another page via a hyperlink or use Response. Redirect to redirect to
a page. It'll return a blank page. So would you please have a check to see
whether those pages suffering the problem has turned on the
smartNavigation? Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Ricky K. Rasmussen

Thanks for all the replies.

In my case the SmartNavigation is not used on any of my pages. I mean the
"aspnet_client" directory exists in my webroot, but none of my pages have
the SmartNavigation property set.

I might add that I only get the "empty response" 1 out of 50 times, the rest
of the time the page is fine.

Further more the "empty response" looks nothing like the actual page, but is
always like this:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

I'll try to catch a trace of one of these reponses, but since they appear
very randomly (but often in periods of time) it may take some time.

Any ideas to how this happens?

/ricky

Ricky K. Rasmussen

Hi Patrice,

I caught a trace of one of these responses a while back. I cant remember in
depth what it said, but I'm pretty sure it returned a status code 200 even
though it didn't look as if any code has been run (maybe that was because
the application ran on Release assemblies).

I dont think the "empty response" is the result of a caught but unhandled
server exception, since it has happened on almost all of my pages and the
response is the same regardless of the aspx page.
Further more the "empty response" only happens in periods of time, the rest
of the time the pages looks fine.

Anyway, I'll try to check some of our web controls for any bad exception
handling.

Thanks for your time,
Ricky

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Ricky,

I also suspect that the problem is due to he client's connection to the
serverside. Does this problem occurs on multi client mahcines or just on a
certain client? If occur on differernt clients, there must be something
wrong in the server.
Also, I think you can try refreshing the page as a normal page or in a
frame serveral times to see whether the problem also occur.

In addition, I think you can also have a check in the IIS log to see
whether it can provide any clues on this issue. Thanks