Why do people still use C instead of C++ ?

Daniel Pitts

Bo said:
Sure.

In C++ everything is a class using multiple inheritance and dynamic
allocation. All funtions are virtual, always.

In C everything is an int, allocated to a register. Much more
efficient! :)

Bo Persson
That is hardly a proof of anything. Especially since there are no
references or explanation of how you came to that conclusion.

Unless... Are you're being facetious and I missed it?

Bo Persson

Daniel said:
That is hardly a proof of anything. Especially since there are no
references or explanation of how you came to that conclusion.

Unless... Are you're being facetious and I missed it?

Probably. :)

That was my impression of why some people don't like C++, including
Linus Torvalds.

The argument seems to be that it is easier to write bad code in C++
than in C. Some of us argue that it is also easier to write good code
in C++.

Bo Persson

Joined
May 21, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
The real question is "Why would you ever want to use C++??"

You know, I got to this page after searching the web for the EXACT OPPOSITE: “why use c++ instead of c?”
My question was “what are the advantages of c++ that cannot be just more easily written in c?”
So I was surprised that most articles were actually discussing about “why would someone use c instead of c++ ?”

So before any more harm is done, and before any more casualties among the ranks of newbie/freshmeat programmers, and among the armies of programmers in general, I suggest you to have a good look at this article:
http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/defective.html

Hopefully this will convince new software “recruits” to stay away from C++, and either stick to C, or better yet to learn some useful high-level programming language like java, ruby, scala, or even javascript (which is a really great dynamic language, and can be viewed as superset of LISP – “LISP with named slots”)