Why do some people hate java?

samir

Today, I've googled for "i hate java" and "java sucks".

I wasn't really amazed of the number of pages listed. I can imagine
the frustration of some newbie when, first, tweeking the installation
or struggling with some IDEs that consume "astronomical" (three years
ago, my computer had 16mb of ram : ) amounts of memory. But the
biggest problem, I think, is java's coolest part: The huge availale
classes and source code . For some one that likes programming it's a
source of frustration. First, you know that what ever you're doing
have been done. Then, you get simply lost when learning: What class'
should I start with? How do I choose one?...

For the rest, the problem is with java the programming language (not
the virtual machine): Java is seen by many people as a toy programming
language. No multiple inheritance, garbage collection and the
templates are childish.

For me, all the staff above wasn't my problem. My problem was with
accepting that such an amazing VM that can run on multiple
achitectures is being wasted using such an archaic programming
language. So, I've tried some of the available
"alternatives" (unfortunately, most of these alternatives aren't yet
ready to compete with Java). The one that had my attention the most is
Jython. The power of python within a Java VM :)

So, I started tweeking the beast and found that, not only programming
was more fun, but also more productive: It's not about reducing the
number of lines in program, but it's about reducing the time needed
for debugging and praying that the thing will work.

What I want to say that Java (as a VM) is a cool and Java (the
programming language) is a lesser thing.

Adiaux
Samir

P.S:

CIndy Lee

[...]

Because .net 2.0 destroys it. It's so much easier to get things done
with .net. Visual Stuido's IDE just makes things to easy.

Chris Smith

samir said:
Today, I've googled for "i hate java" and "java sucks".

I wasn't really amazed of the number of pages listed.

You shouldn't be, really. :)
biggest problem, I think, is java's coolest part: The huge availale
classes and source code . For some one that likes programming it's a
source of frustration.

I doubt it. The biggest problem, almost certainly, is that like any
other worthwhile programming language, Java requires that you adjust
your frame of thinking a little. Human beings don't like doing that,
because looks too much like admitting that one was wrong in the past.
Many people react to this by projecting their fears as a hatred for
whatever is encouraging them to change their thinking... in this case,
Java.
For me, all the staff above wasn't my problem. My problem was with
accepting that such an amazing VM that can run on multiple
achitectures is being wasted using such an archaic programming
language.

You see? Here we have another example.

Stefan Ram

samir said:
Today, I've googled for "i (...) java" and "java (...)".
I wasn't really amazed of the number of pages listed.

»There are just two kinds of languages: the ones everybody
complains about and the ones nobody uses.«

(Bjarne Stroustrup)

samir

I doubt it. The biggest problem, almost certainly, is that like any
other worthwhile programming language, Java requires that you adjust
your frame of thinking a little.

Have you ever used Stackless Python, Scheme or encountred the concept
of generators or coroutines? You really need to adjust your frame of
thinking to get those things :)
Human beings don't like doing that,
because looks too much like admitting that one was wrong in the past.

That's correct! It's in fact a handicap. You won't be able to learn
from your errors if you can't admit that what you were wrong.
Many people react to this by projecting their fears as a hatred for
whatever is encouraging them to change their thinking... in this case,
Java.

I think that the success of java attracts maniacs :). Fears and
hatered must be projected on Microsoft and VB :D not on java.

You see? Here we have another example.

I like flames >:)

Adiaux
Samir

Jason Cavett

Because .net 2.0 destroys it. It's so much easier to get things done
with .net. Visual Stuido's IDE just makes things to easy.- Hide quoted text -

Visual Stuido's IDE just makes things to easy.

Normally I would agree with you, but Eclipse has made so many leaps
and bounds that it's just as (or really really close) easy to use.

Chris Uppal

Stefan said:
»There are just two kinds of languages: the ones everybody
complains about and the ones nobody uses.«

(Bjarne Stroustrup)

It is entirely understandable that he should omit all mention of a third
category of language -- the ones that people complain about even if they
/don't/ use them.

(Other perenial favourites in this category: COBOL, VB, ...)

-- chris

Chris Uppal

Chris said:
You see? Here we have another example.

You surely are not claiming that Java is /not/ of archaic design ? (In the
sense of "archaic" that the OP clearly meant -- lacking invaluable features
which have been commonplace in language design for many decades, and which a
few modern scripting languages are finally starting to catch up with).

-- chris

samir

»There are just two kinds of languages: the ones everybody
complains about and the ones nobody uses.«

(Bjarne Stroustrup)

Python do not belong to any of those two categories :)

Mark Space

Jason said:
Normally I would agree with you, but Eclipse has made so many leaps
and bounds that it's just as (or really really close) easy to use.

Could elaborate a little on what Eclipse does that is so great? I use
Netbeans right now and I think it's the bomb. Plus Matisse is free on
NB. ^_^ But if there's a reason to move to Eclipse I'd like to at least
hear about it.

Also, I'm not looking for an IDE flame war, just some perspective from a
fellow Java user. ^_^ ^_^

gethostbyname

[...]

Well, I think that startup speed of Java (as a VM) is the main
inconvenience.

gethostbyname

Lew

I love Java.

I don't require perfection, just utility. It has plenty of that.

It could be a mistake to malign VB. That's a pretty useful language also.

-- Lew

John W. Kennedy

Mark said:
Could elaborate a little on what Eclipse does that is so great? I use
Netbeans right now and I think it's the bomb. Plus Matisse is free on
NB. ^_^ But if there's a reason to move to Eclipse I'd like to at least
hear about it.

The main thing is that the incremental compiler gives you a much more
"alive" sense of what you're doing -- and Build is typically subsecond.
I've been mucking about a little with NetBeans, but I have to say that,
after Eclipse, it feels clunky.

I've been doing this since 1965. I've used punched cards, Selectric
terminals, ISPF/PDF, and quite a few PC IDEs. NetBeans feels like Yet
Another IDE. Eclipse feels like The Next Step. It makes the left side of
my brain dance.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The pathetic hope that the White House will turn a Caligula into a

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

samir said:
I wasn't really amazed of the number of pages listed. I can imagine
the frustration of some newbie when, first, tweeking the installation
or struggling with some IDEs that consume "astronomical" (three years
ago, my computer had 16mb of ram : )

You used an outdated computer 3 years ago. Not really Javas fault.
amounts of memory. But the
biggest problem, I think, is java's coolest part: The huge availale
classes and source code . For some one that likes programming it's a
source of frustration. First, you know that what ever you're doing
have been done. Then, you get simply lost when learning: What class'
should I start with? How do I choose one?...

For the rest, the problem is with java the programming language (not
the virtual machine): Java is seen by many people as a toy programming
language. No multiple inheritance, garbage collection and the
templates are childish.

I think most agree that multiple inheritance and explicit deallocation
of memory is a bad thing.

C++ templates can do some things that Java generics can not. And
vice versa. They are simply relative different concepts.
For me, all the staff above wasn't my problem. My problem was with
accepting that such an amazing VM that can run on multiple
achitectures is being wasted using such an archaic programming
language. So, I've tried some of the available
"alternatives" (unfortunately, most of these alternatives aren't yet
ready to compete with Java). The one that had my attention the most is
Jython. The power of python within a Java VM :)

So, I started tweeking the beast and found that, not only programming
was more fun, but also more productive: It's not about reducing the
number of lines in program, but it's about reducing the time needed
for debugging and praying that the thing will work.

If you like that type of language then fine. You may also want
to check JRuby and Groovy out.

I do not think you need to try jgnat (Ada).

:)
What I want to say that Java (as a VM) is a cool and Java (the
programming language) is a lesser thing.

Your choice.

One size does not fit all.

Arne

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Mark said:
Could elaborate a little on what Eclipse does that is so great? I use
Netbeans right now and I think it's the bomb. Plus Matisse is free on
NB. ^_^ But if there's a reason to move to Eclipse I'd like to at least
hear about it.

Hm. VE is free on Eclipse too. You may prefer Matisse over VE, but
I do not understand the "free" point.

Arne

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

CIndy said:
Because .net 2.0 destroys it. It's so much easier to get things done
with .net. Visual Stuido's IDE just makes things to easy.

Considering that a .NET user is stupid enough to post something
like that in a Java newsgroup, then one can have some doubts
about what .NET is going to destroy ...

Arne

Chris Smith

samir said:
Have you ever used Stackless Python, Scheme or encountred the concept
of generators or coroutines? You really need to adjust your frame of
thinking to get those things :)

There was another ingredient I forgot that helps give rise to the
sometimes severe hatred of Java: people are forced to use it. Because
of Java's market position, a large number of people need to learn it in
order to remain employed (or, perhaps, employable).

Many other languages, including those you mention above, lack that
ingredient. By and large, the majority of their users have made the
choice to use them. That insulates them from bad will, to an extent.
You can bet that the very instant that Scheme is adopted by a large
number of corporate products with large development teams, you'll see
far more hatred tossed around for Scheme than you ever did for Java.

Joshua Cranmer

samir said:
Today, I've googled for "i hate java" and "java sucks".

I wasn't really amazed of the number of pages listed. I can imagine
the frustration of some newbie when, first, tweeking the installation
or struggling with some IDEs that consume "astronomical" (three years
ago, my computer had 16mb of ram : ) amounts of memory. But the
biggest problem, I think, is java's coolest part: The huge availale
classes and source code . For some one that likes programming it's a
source of frustration. First, you know that what ever you're doing
have been done. Then, you get simply lost when learning: What class'
should I start with? How do I choose one?...

Looking at the CS curriculum and experiences of fellow students, I can
see why some people hate Java: it's the first programming language they
use and it's difficult for them. I know many people who get caught up in
one annoying bug and then blast it as a reason that XYZ "sucks" or
"should rot in hell", etc. Even more experience: I know people who hate
programming in C because of the difficulty with pointers.
For the rest, the problem is with java the programming language (not
the virtual machine): Java is seen by many people as a toy programming
language. No multiple inheritance, garbage collection and the
templates are childish.

Multiple inheritance can get quickly problematic, AI used LISP mostly
because it had GC, and C++ templates can get ugly sometimes (STL,
anyone?). People will complain that Java goes too far/not enough until
the end of time.
For me, all the staff above wasn't my problem. My problem was with
accepting that such an amazing VM that can run on multiple
achitectures is being wasted using such an archaic programming
language. So, I've tried some of the available
"alternatives" (unfortunately, most of these alternatives aren't yet
ready to compete with Java). The one that had my attention the most is
Jython. The power of python within a Java VM :)

Python -- the most backwards-incompatible language I've ever seen. As a
side note, Java (the VM) is the most backwards-compatible language I've
ever seen. Between Java 1.0 and Java 1.6, despite all of the features
implemented on the programming language, functionally, the only changes
in the virtual machine have been a shift in invokespecial, the
deprecation of jsr/ret, and the newer, more stringent bytecode
verification. If you changed a class version 50.0 to 45.0, /the code
would still run/. That's impressive.