Why do VHDL gate level models simulate slower than verilog

abilash

Hi Group,
I am relatively new to VHDL and am tring to understand why
VHDL gate level descriptions simulate slower than verilog models.I was
told that it was because how the VHDL model gets evaluated (delay
models) that makes it slower.I didnt quite follow this and if somebody
in the group could point me towards a more detailed explanation ,it
would be great.I would also like to know why do we see better VHDL
performace at behavioural descriptions(as compared to verilog
behavioural descriptions.).I am sorry if this has been discussed
previously.

Thanks,
Abilash.

Jim Lewis

Abilash,
Seeing simlar observations to yours, for the VHDL-200X effort
I proposed that VHDL accept Verilog gate level description as
a valid VHDL format. The response I received from at least
one EDA vendor was that VHDL gate level descriptions could
be as fast as Verilog gate level descriptions if the vendors
spent more time optimizing them.

If you want VHDL gate level designs to be faster, it is a
matter of making sure your vendors know that they need to
spend the time making them faster.

Best Regards,
Jim Lewis
Hi Group,
I am relatively new to VHDL and am tring to understand why
VHDL gate level descriptions simulate slower than verilog models.I was
told that it was because how the VHDL model gets evaluated (delay
models) that makes it slower.I didnt quite follow this and if somebody
in the group could point me towards a more detailed explanation ,it
would be great.I would also like to know why do we see better VHDL
performace at behavioural descriptions(as compared to verilog
behavioural descriptions.).I am sorry if this has been discussed
previously.

Thanks,
Abilash.

Jim Lewis
Director of Training mailto:[email protected]
1-503-590-4787