Why does aspnet_regiis -c put the aspnet_client directory under every website?

richard.warner

When you run 'aspnet_regiis -c', the aspnet_client directory is created
under EVERY web site on the IIS server. It seems strange that there
doesn't seem to be any way of running the command so that it only
installs the aspnet_client directory under a specified web site or even
just the .net web sites on the server. I'm running several production
IIS servers that have got a mix of .net and non-.net web sites on them
and I don't want the aspnet_client directory to be installed on the
non-.net web sites when I run aspnet_regiis -c. I know that I could
just create the aspnet_client directory by copying it from another web
site or web server and that would mean I could avoid running the
aspnet_regiis -c command, but it seems that Microsoft haven't really
thought this one through. The alternative seems to be to run the
aspnet_regiis -c command as required and then delete the aspnet_client
directory from the non-.net web sites, although this means performing
the delete on the non-.net web sites after each and every time the
aspnet_regiis -c command is run.

I realise another alternative would be to just leave the aspnet_client
directory on the non-.net web sites, but that seems pretty
unprofessional for production sites that are deployed as complete and
self-contained units that have no need for the aspnet_client directory
to be there.

Has anyone got any comments on this? Have I missed something here
(which is quite possible :->)?

Cheers,

Rich
(MCSE MCSD MCDBA)