Why does document.layers still work in NS 7?

Terri I.

I am upgrading an app so it will work in NS 7 and IE 6 as well as continue to
run in NS 4.75. I have some checks for whether document.layers exists so I
can determine if NS 4 is being used. But even in NS 7, the test is coming
back as 'positive'. Any idea why this would happen? Looks like I may need
to change all my tests to if (!document.getElementById), but this seems
strange since I see lots of code samples that check if (document.layers).
Any ideas???